ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Killing Floor - worth a punt

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
In waiting what seems to be a very long time for L4D2 - I needed another zombie killing fix. The one on COD WaW isn't too bad - but the fact that there's never an 'end' to it, kind of makes it pointless attempting it in the first place, imo.

On Steam for £14.99, I thought I'd give Killing Floor a go. Its the usual experiment-gone-wrong-hordes-of-undead-types scenario, but it makes a nice alternative to L4D. It's certainly not as polished as L4D - almost a mod really for the Unreal Engine.

It's a bit weak in solo mode, I have to admit. What starts off as being piss easy, rapidly (very rapidly) descends into an overwhelming number of zombies that you have no hope of taking on yourself.

Online, it's a different story. It really is good, in someways better than L4D imo - especially when people pickup weapon types that complement the team as a whole. I attached some pics, which looking at them, don't really show much of the game - lol!

KillingFloor2009-07-1910-19-54-68.jpg

KillingFloor2009-07-1910-20-17-64.jpg

KillingFloor2009-07-1910-27-34-18.jpg

Well worth a try for the money, I think. It's around 1.6GB in size to download off Steam, so it doesn't take a long time to get hold of. :D

D.

When you say not as polished graphically it looks better than L4D? ALthough I only played the console 'lite' version!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
When you say not as polished graphically it looks better than L4D? ALthough I only played the console 'lite' version!

Graphically it is better - in fact those screenshots are with a few of the high-end features like 8x AA turned down slightly. When set to 2x AA, the framerate is fine - even with loads of the b******s on screen. :)

By polished, I meant as a game really. You can tell that a lot of effort went into the gameplay of L4D, though I'm not knocking the developers of Killing Floor. It's a good game in its own right, but overall I don't think it beats L4D.

If you buy it, I'll co-op with you. :)

D.

Will I be able to run it well?

This is the rec spec on steasm - seems very low????

Recommended:

Processor: 2.4 GHZ or Equivalent
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Graphics: 128 MB DX9 Compliant with PS 2.0 support
Hard Drive: 2 GB free hard drive space
Sound: Eax Compatible

CMR

A ROFLCOPTER
Played this when it first came out, rented a server for a month too.

Fun whilst it lasts, same as L4D really... Have a good laugh with some mates then the effect wears off.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
The voice of the Trader REALLY gets on my nerves. All she is missing is a pimped out black Benzo or Beemer. Innit. :dead:

I haven't a clue why developers add crap like that to a game. A bit like Hellgate London where half of the characters uttered words on par with a Cockney Teletubby. By that, childish and pointless. It seems that any English voice-over done in games is simply doomed to fail. The only one I can think of that carried any merit was the dialogue in COD4.

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Considerably better than the rec. spec! but I know yours is much better than mine and if your 'only getting 2x aa??????????????

9700GT, 4GB ram

It should be fine to run that. It would run at 8x AA, but I'm a speed and response freak. I'd rather have no shadows or lighting effects, if it meant that a game ran a lot more smoothly.

I'm not one of those who cripples their games, just so it looks good. :)

D.

^^Fair enough!

Am getting back into zombies with some COD:Nazi stuf, have you played the zombie mode on that Darren?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
^^Fair enough!

Am getting back into zombies with some COD:Nazi stuf, have you played the zombie mode on that Darren?

I have tried, but either I'm just unlucky picking times to go online, or is there a genuine dislike of the zombie mode on COD:WaW? The number of servers running it (that aren't password protected anyway) are so few and far between.

Shame really. As I much prefer the zombie mode to going online against camping t***s with their Lvl 1,256 uber-guns.

D.

No your right servers are few and far between but are more popular at the mo due to the new zombie maps!

BMW 330ci Clubsport
I'm considering getting it, but know hardly anyone that plays it. I have quite a few people on my Steam Friends List that I play L4D versus with. Normally quite fun competitive games, especially when your team mates have mic's. But I dont think this will be quite as fun as L4D, as it doesnt have a versus mode. Too much co-op imo

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'm considering getting it, but know hardly anyone that plays it. I have quite a few people on my Steam Friends List that I play L4D versus with. Normally quite fun competitive games, especially when your team mates have mic's. But I dont think this will be quite as fun as L4D, as it doesnt have a versus mode. Too much co-op imo

It has a much better internet-game interface than L4D, imo. It makes it much easier to jump into a game with a decent ping time than L4D.

Having said that, it's not as good a game as L4D is. I did go on a server yesterday though that had TK enabled by default. It made the game SO much better, making sure that your shots were meant to go where they should and not hit your own team.

On certain maps where there is a choke point, it's superb where 6 of you are lined up in Zulu-film fashion, providing constant streams of fire into the oncoming freaks. There are more types of enemy in Killing Floor too.

D.