ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Kit’s New Ph1 172

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Next problem….massive fuel leak from this pipe
IMG_1332.jpeg

Not sure how as it was fine after Anglesey. I hope a mouse or anything hasn’t chewed it.

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
I had to replace mine recently, it had gone further up though closer to the rail, I got a replacement (new to me) from Stuart at Renomotive (y)

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I had to replace mine recently, it had gone further up though closer to the rail, I got a replacement (new to me) from Stuart at Renomotive (y)
You can see it spraying out from that bend when the car is on so I’m confident it’s there it’s leaking from.

What is annoying the car had half a tank in it yesterday. I started it and walked off and left it running like I usually do every few weeks, could smell fumes but we had just a heating oil delivery and that smells a bit. Went to use it today and same smell and a trail of fluid and then no fuel 🤦‍♂️ What’s annoying is that I was off to look at the gear box as I can’t jack it up on my drive. So now I have this landed at the top of the drive which has given me some access so will see when I get home later.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
@mintno1 is the outside diameter pipe at the fuel filter the same as at the fuel rail?
I have found some left over fuel hose from my ITB conversion but the inside diameter is bigger than the inside diameter of standard hose. But standard hose does fit inside the hose I have and I’m thinking of splicing it in and just putting the old inside the new with a few jubilee clips. But I have to be 100% confident it is fine as soon as I cut this hose and it’s wrong I’m screwed as the AA won’t recover my incompetence.

Yes I could measure but I don’t have verniers and I have an off cut of the fuel rail end in my spares that I’ve trial fitted to the new hose.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Actually this won’t work. Just checked exactly where the split is and it’s so close to the connector into the filter my hose won’t go over the old hose and barbs on the fitting
IMG_1334.jpeg

Need to source the right hose and fittings

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Fuel leak sorted 👍🏻 need to keep an eye on it just in case.

Next up is me giving myself a reason to get an LSD which is summed up by this picture
IMG_1403.jpeg

I’ll explain why…this is now on daily duties after going from 4 cars down to this is the only “working one” (holding off taxing the E34 but that is a back up plus I don’t want that to break going on the luck I’m having at the moment) as I sold the E60 and having viscous fan problems on the Z3. But the Clio seemed to have lost a lot of gear box oil at Anglesey. I was going to investigate it on Saturday but that was scuppered by the fuel leak. So I’ve just chucked nearly 1ltr of gear box oil in it so I can take it to work. Got more oil and the pump in the car ready to check it is still full when I’m at work. So yeah, this might blow up and the only logical response is to get an LSD put in.
I might have time on Thursday, failing that Saturday, to investigate properly the gear box leak.

I hate cars.

gudger12345

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Fuel leak sorted 👍🏻 need to keep an eye on it just in case.

Next up is me giving myself a reason to get an LSD which is summed up by this picture
View attachment 1692427
I’ll explain why…this is now on daily duties after going from 4 cars down to this is the only “working one” (holding off taxing the E34 but that is a back up plus I don’t want that to break going on the luck I’m having at the moment) as I sold the E60 and having viscous fan problems on the Z3. But the Clio seemed to have lost a lot of gear box oil at Anglesey. I was going to investigate it on Saturday but that was scuppered by the fuel leak. So I’ve just chucked nearly 1ltr of gear box oil in it so I can take it to work. Got more oil and the pump in the car ready to check it is still full when I’m at work. So yeah, this might blow up and the only logical response is to get an LSD put in.
I might have time on Thursday, failing that Saturday, to investigate properly the gear box leak.

I hate cars.
I could always be tempted to sell my LSD which is sat waiting to go in box.........................

gudger12345

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Stop. Just stop :ROFLMAO: I’m not in a position to buy anything fancy at the moment which is annoying. Otherwise yes I would be interested…
Good hahaha
but i could always be tempted as i have had to surrender my licence on medical grounds for 12 months so i might just break the clio to fund an elise purchase.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Little success on this.
Fuel pipe sorted so now I am not losing fuel at an alarming rate! Might need a more permanent fix but the hose I have kicking about home did go over the original hose but I might need to use actual brass joining fittings. It’s holding and that is all that matters.

Gear box hasn’t exploded. I had time today to do some investigating. It’s not actually that bad once I took the under tray off. It’s coming from the selector seal as the drive shaft is bone dry. Can the selector seal be changed without taking the box out the car? So what I’ve done it dried it all up, chucked about 2ltr of oil in and see what happens in a week. Now I have a reference point it will be easier to see how bad it actually is.

My under tray was a bit damaged and the trailing edge was bent and it always scrapped on the road down the lane at home. So I took a saw to it and cut it off and now it doesn’t scrape!
IMG_1420.jpeg

When I was at Anglesey there was a rubbing noise on right hand corners. My old Ph1 used to rub drive shafts so I thought it was that. Nope. Drive shafts looks clean and no rub marks on the chassis. Only thing I can see is this rub mark above the wheel
IMG_1421.jpeg

Tyre looks fine and doesn’t look or feel damaged. Can’t be that surely?

Been using it for work and it’s a really nice drive on the motorway tbh. So much so I’d consider another 1*2 for commuting in! Mine has just returned 36mpg on the last tank of fuel which is good! And at roughly 20p a mile which is the same as my E60 was returning. Swapping to E10 and not using 99 fuel this will only go down and having a standard one should return more MPG so it is cheaper to run on long motorway journeys than a big diesel!