ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking noise

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
Following on from this thread http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?655970-Driveshaft-problem-knocking-noise I've still got the knocking noise when turning, but with some update.

Had the car over a pit so I could hear the noise under load. From what we could hear, the noise was coming from the driveshaft. It was under warranty and was changed yesterday. It's improved slightly, but the noise is still there. I'm still yet to change the ball joint, but I'm a bit confused. There is a similar noise coming from underneath upon braking and accelerating, but only a very slow speeds i.e. just pulling off, braking slowly but progressively as you approach a junction etc. Would the ball joint be causing this? As the noise sounds more suspension related, but the fact it is occurring when braking/accelerating makes it seem like this would not be the case. The noise sounds like it is more under the car than at the end by the wheel, where the ball joint would be. When the car was over the pit we could only hear the noise from the driveshaft and not the ball joint.

This is driving me crazy, and I don't want to pay high labour bills for a garage to check it out, nor keep replacing parts that don't need replacing.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
For the price of the balljoints I'd just change them as a precaution anyway personally. The braking/moving away noise sounds balljoint or drop link related to me.

derv biege barge
Changed all front suspension on mine and driveshafts due to age, after removing passenger side driveshaft I inserted my hand into the gear box and pulled back and forth where the driveshaft roller bearing sits this has a small amount of play and can be heared tapping as I pull back and push forward.

I think this is the source of the tapping as everything else is new. Worth checking on yours as sounds similar to mine.

Just gonna live with it until it dies.