ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Leaking rear shock - Reasonable price?

Titanium 182 Cupp'd FF
Typically as I was about to put my 182 up for sale I discovered a leaking rear shock. So I need to get this sorted before I put it on the Market!

I've been quoted £130.75 Inc VAT parts and labour by my local Renault garage is this a good price?

I know the part is £58.49 is 70 odd quid expensive for the labour?

Thanks

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
£130 fitted for one?

It really is 5 min job to replace them. it's 2 bolts, don't even need to jack up the car.

if that's to supply&fit one, don't bother - they're easy to DiY fit

could be to supply&fit two, though? ed. although it won't be, sorry. just buy one and have it fitted at a local if you don't fancy it yourself

Titanium 182 Cupp'd FF
This is a price to supply and fit 1

if I go the DIY route is it best to order direct from a local Renault dealer? Or is there a better alternative?

Don't have many car related tools what would I need in order to make sure he bolts were correctly tightened?

won't be able to save much at all by mailordering

just need spanners for top nut and bottom bolt; could torque them back up to spec, although someone with a little experience'd be able to do them up appropriately without torque wrench

Titanium 182 Cupp'd FF
Thanks All

one last question am I ok to continue driving the car at the moment or is this dangerous or damaging?

Titanium 182 Cupp'd FF
Ordered my rear shock today (Great price from Karl at SMCRenault, great discounts on parts for RenaultSports members! Highly recommended!) and am going to fit it with a mate who has all the right tools and is a mechanical engineer so should know his way around a spanner

Does anybody know how tight the bolts should be if using a torque wrench? And is there a step by step guide on here somewhere?

Want to make sure I do a spot on job as I'm about to put the car up for sale and dont want to pass on anything dodgy!

172 Ph1, 1972 Mini 1
I did my shocks the other night, as people are saying its the easiest job tbh. The top nut inside the car is a 17mm iirc. The bolt connecting to the arm is an 18mm socket, this will be tight but not massively so, i could just undo mine with a normal 1/2" ratchet, tightened them back up as tight as i could with the same ratchet.

Only issue i had which delayed one slightly was the bush which sits under the upper mount was rusted to the shock so needed removing with a puller but i was using second hand shocks, not sure if you get these bushes supplied with new shocks.