ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Leather Cleaning Advice

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Now, call me old fashioned, but back in the day before detailing became all scene and stuff, people used to rant and rave about gliptone leather products.. now, I've not heard it mentioned for ages.. what's the craic?

Basically, I need a new leather product, for two reasons:

1) My z4's taken on some serious winter mileage, and hence seat time, I want to bring it back as well as possible.

2) I've just found a lovely 330D for my brother but the spastic dealer has covered the leather in shiny crap which I'm properly pissed about. So I need to remove that and then apply a proper leather product.

So, I need a general leather product to use on mine and his, and then a recommendation for what to "wash" the seats off with before I use it? Damp warm microfibre with a little mild soap/shampoo of some kind for the latter?

Thanks bummers.

330i. E30 Touring.
Gliptone is the stuff to use.

Soft nail brush. Then wipe off the dirt with a microfibre.

LTT is my preferred, Boberton. And you don't need to feed it. The Billywithabuffer that's done your brother's will have used a leather "milk". As most modern leather is sealed anyway, this just sits on the surface, hence the shiny look.

Dab of LTT cleaner on a soft brush (buy a set of Kiwi shoe polish brushes for a few £), damp MF to clean the seats initially and give a bit of moisture, foam up the cleaner with the brush, damp MF to remove the foam, consistently rinsing and twisting the MF dry to deposit the dirty foam into a bucket of warm water.

Or, I'll do it. Lol.

And when I say foam, I mean as if you're washing the hood foaming;

P1000897.jpg

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Will that technique be ok on perforated leather @JD?
Mother has filthy cream leather seats but they are perforated leather and heated/cooled seats so worried about screwing up the electricals.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
LTT is my preferred, Boberton. And you don't need to feed it. The Billywithabuffer that's done your brother's will have used a leather "milk". As most modern leather is sealed anyway, this just sits on the surface, hence the shiny look.

Dab of LTT cleaner on a soft brush (buy a set of Kiwi shoe polish brushes for a few £), damp MF to clean the seats initially and give a bit of moisture, foam up the cleaner with the brush, damp MF to remove the foam, consistently rinsing and twisting the MF dry to deposit the dirty foam into a bucket of warm water.

Or, I'll do it. Lol.

In the nicest possible way chap, you need to speak english to me, not acronyms. :quiet:

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I used the Zymol stuff as it was the first stuff i seen in halfords(was in a hurry) and my recaros came up really well, i didnt think they were that dirty but the difference was huge!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Gliptone is fine still dude, on the Z4 seats I suspect they've been repaired before as we were all struggling to get the shine off of them

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Gliptone was ordered before forearms started using acronyms :eek:

I'll give it a go and see.

Anyone got any advice for getting the s**t the dealer put on the seats off?

It's just like Vaseline ffs!!!!

Cba tbh Flol.

Scrub up with the Gliptone pal. It's just a glorified apc (all purpose cleaner) that will rid the leather of the top oils.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Listen to Jd^^

Good old used car valeters! They've cut a massive corner by not cleaning the seats and spraying them all with a can of silicon instead.

Best thing I use to get all that slimy s**t off is Auto Glym Super Interior cleaner, because if I used gliptone et al I wouldn't actually earn any money! lol

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Listen to Jd^^

Good old used car valeters! They've cut a massive corner by not cleaning the seats and spraying them all with a can of silicon instead.

Best thing I use to get all that slimy s**t off is Auto Glym Super Interior cleaner, because if I used gliptone et al I wouldn't actually earn any money! lol

Cheers, I'll use the gliptone on mine, and order the LTT because it looks cool.

So even though expensive, the gliptone will rid the seats of silicone? (That's exactly what it was, the bloke even said when I asked if he wanted to pick up my dry cleaning bill) Sent me into a full on rage that a 15k car couldn't be cleaned up properly.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
That's what I'm looking for of sorts, an APC that's seat safe... is the conditioner any good? Or entirely useless?

Rob I'm sure the valet pro citrus stuff I've got would be more than adequate if diluted properly. It says on it that it can be used on interiors etc.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I've ordered the gliptone, so as long as it works I'm happy enough for now. That's mainly for the brothers car, I'll try JD's fancy foam recommendation on mine.