ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lens/flash ideas?

Nikon D700
Merry boxing day ya'll.

I've got a slight predicament on my hands.... I'm ridding myself of my Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 (anyone want it?). I should get about £400 for that, plus I will add an extra £400.

So, £800, and I want:

>300mm tele lens
wide angle lens
decent flash - one that I can trigger remotely from my D90
a f2.8 approx 20-80mm lens

I'll probably get rid of the 18-105mm kit lens so there might be a little more to spend.......

Shop for me people, shop....!

Well none of the flashes are wireless out hte box. But you can buy triggers fairly cheaply on eBay. I've got a SB600. It's great. - £200

Do you want a fast 300mm? Sigma 70-300mm is good. Cheap. But not the fastest lens in the world. - £150

Wide has to be Sigma 10-20mm. - £350

No idea on the 20-80mm one, but have a look at the Sigma 50-150mm. That's next on my list I think. - About £500 I think.

Nikon D700
Well none of the flashes are wireless out hte box. But you can buy triggers fairly cheaply on eBay. I've got a SB600. It's great. - £200

Do you want a fast 300mm? Sigma 70-300mm is good. Cheap. But not the fastest lens in the world. - £150

Wide has to be Sigma 10-20mm. - £350

No idea on the 20-80mm one, but have a look at the Sigma 50-150mm. That's next on my list I think. - About £500 I think.

I thought the SB600 was triggerable from a D90?

300mm doesn't have to be fast, just a cheapish one will do that I can use for my poor attempts at motorsport when I can be arsed.

Is that £350 2nd hand?

I'd want the range to be 20-70 to fill the void in the range.....

The SB-900 flash is wireless out of the box, just set up your in built flash for commander mode and stick the flash on remote.

Nimbus 197
I recommend the SB900, I love it! Such a great bit of kit to have in your arsenal (I'm sure the others are too but don't have any of them.) Got mine for £295 at Jessops with online discount.

Sigma 10-20mm seconded for the wide lens. £300ish new iirc.

Can't help with others, sorry!

Is the SB-800 triggerable from the D40?

Oh and sorry to hijack thread!

No, the D40 doesn't have built in commander mode so you will either need a trigger kit or two flashguns, one with commander capability (SB800 or SB900).

Megane RS 275 Trophy
Merry boxing day ya'll.

I've got a slight predicament on my hands.... I'm ridding myself of my Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 (anyone want it?)

What version is it and price inc RMSD

I have a SB600 and Nikon 28mm f/2.8 both in VGC that I'm looking to get rid of soon.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I'm upgrading to a D90 soon, already have a SB-600 flash

Will a flashgun with commander mode be useful for multi-flash shots along with the one I already have? :)

Nikon D700
What version is it and price inc RMSD

I have a SB600 and Nikon 28mm f/2.8 both in VGC that I'm looking to get rid of soon.

It's 70-200mm 1:2.8 APO DG Macro HSM EX - read into that what you will....

Not sure on price, I think they go for about £400 with RMSD.

I think i'll go for the SB900, and I rarely use my 50mm prime, so wouldn't be bothered by the 28mm.

Megane RS 275 Trophy
Have you any pics of the lens and 2 pics both at f/2.8 at 70mm and 200mm,

Thanks,
Billy

Megane RS 275 Trophy
Whats your best price as I'm in talks with a few peeps about the sigma 70-200 on TP inc this one on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/sigma-70-200-...es_CameraLensesFilters_JN?hash=item3efb7238fc

It's only just over 30 miles from me and his BIN price is £400.00 so with out the ebay fees at 10% and paypal at 3.5% is £40.00 ebay & £14.00 paypal, he would only get £346.00 off ebay and he said he would take £350.00 collected, but I can't be bothered to drive over Christmas so before I make him a firm offer is there any movement on your price?

Billy

Last edited:
  Megane RS 275 Trophy
Yes your correct Canon fit (to much beer) I'm after Nikon, well spotted.

Anyway whats your best price inc P&P RMSD?

Nimbus 197
I'm upgrading to a D90 soon, already have a SB-600 flash

Will a flashgun with commander mode be useful for multi-flash shots along with the one I already have? :)

You won't need a flashgun with commander mode if you get a D90 - it has built in commander mode in the popup flash. Unless you want another flashgun on camera of course!

Megane RS 275 Trophy
Not that I can notice. But I have just drunk a bottle of red wine.....

I'll check again tomorrow morning....

+1

Just got up now a little groggy :coffee: if you could post a pic of the glass both sides that would be great as I'm very interested.

Can you guys PM each other.. Saves me having to delete all this crap.. We do have a for sale section ;)

How much is the 12-24? I'd rather have the extra at the wide end of the 10-20mm. A few mil that side is really noticeable.

Megane RS 275 Trophy
Yes the on-board flash does trigger the SB600, I know as I've done it on my D80 & D300s

Nikon D700
Can you guys PM each other.. Saves me having to delete all this crap.. We do have a for sale section ;)

How much is the 12-24? I'd rather have the extra at the wide end of the 10-20mm. A few mil that side is really noticeable.

Sorry, yeah delete the off-topic crap if you want to Dan.....

No idea the price of the 12-24... haven't looked into that, yet.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Yes the on-board flash does trigger the SB600, I know as I've done it on my D80 & D300s

So for multiple flashes, it's not worth getting a SB-900?

I'm thinking of trying out some creative lighting shots sometime :D

"Navy" N17 TWO
Could get another SB600 then if I wanted "three" flashes then
Or would it be worth getting a 900 for that?

Nikon D700
Right. Decisions are slowly being made.

i am going for/on the lookout for:

Walkabout lens:
Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM

Flash:
Nikon SB600

Wide:
sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG

Zoom:
AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED
or
Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG OS

Now, some explaination behind this....

I'm going for the 12-24 as this will work better for full frame, so is compatible with a potential upgrade towards the end of next year.
sb600 will be bought first, then I will look at adding a sb900 to compliment and control this - meaning i'll have on and off camera.

The rest is self explanatory.

Now, where to find this stuff.....ummm