ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Less mpg in cold weather?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Is anyone else noticing less mpg due to the colder weather we're having at the moment?

I'm guessing because of leaving car idling on start up with blowers on full blast doesn't exactly help the cause combined with v-power prices gone up recently in line with normal unleaded prices but just seems like its less mpg.

172 getting approx 100-110 miles from £20 of v-power isn't too pretty and it's not like i cane it to work either (5 mile journey), just normal which includes traffic driving.

100 miles works out to being 26 mpg :(

Cup and R6
Was wondering this myself today on my way home, usually average 40mpg on the motorway but its down to 36 at the minute, must be because of the idling for a while on the driveway, or the constant wheel spins gulping more fuel lol

ST
Yes..the air is cooler, meaning its more dense, in turn this makes the combustion/spark more explosive giving the engine a touch more power thus using a little more fuel.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
at least its not just me or a prob with the car then! at least its a normal occurance!

clio trophy No56
Mines at 27.9 at the moment but went as low as 26 at the begining of the week. As already said probably due to the colder air. Also if your driving in the estates like where i like the roads are like sheet ice everywhere so i never get out of 3rd gear. Infact even the main roads are very icy, only seen 1 gritter on the roads and that was 2 days before the snow even started.

But you also receive more for your money at petrol pumps as the fuel is more dense in colder weather.

DMS

A thirsty 172
I'm getting a lot more than normal. I've been off boost all the time (for a change) so the car actually seems quite frugal at the minute.

"Navy" N17 TWO
You use more fuel anyway as you'd be using more electrics than in normal weather - heat, lights & wipers etc

320d
Also you have to leave the car running for a good few minute while defrosting etc.

A cold engine is more innificient too. I'm sure the autochoke will be on for longer too. My 172 doesn't idle well when cold, its very lumpy, i notice this lasts longer in this whether now rather that when its warm weather it idles fine from as soon its started and the high idle is only a couple of seconds.