ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

lethargic 172 FAO 172 owners

hey lads and lasses

just got back from a run im my mums 172. aint drove it for 2k miles when it had 5k on it it felt very tight then and still does. now 7 k it still feeles very slow and unwilling to pull,

it will do 0-60 in about 7 sec no problem but from 60 -100 its quite frankly sh*t

i recon its nowhere near 0-100 of sub 20 secs it just dont feel it. the engine feels very tight and im sure its not making the power it should. i would guess about 135 @tw max

another thing is the car aint had to have a top uo in oil from new. is this normal, and its still a wicked golden brown colour. not a black colour i would of expected.

how do i lossen it up to unleash the monster all u claim a 172 to be. this car just dont feel too fast. we cant be that un lucky to get two dud 172s can we. if so reno quality control is absolutely sh*t.

any ideas guys or shall i just rag it rag it rag it

change the oil. get the car to reno-minute service and get them to run a full diagnostic on the engine. sometimes the sensor under the engine cover on the back left hand side of the inlet manifold malfunctions and that can rob up to 10-15 bhp. otherwise, give it a good thrashing. My car always feels loads better after a track day. Open up the air box and check the airfilter + replace with a new one if dirty. finally shes prob running it on unleaded 95. switch to 98/optimax fo a while.

yh forgot to mention

its being run on 95 ron,

ill go check the filter later

cheers philip

are we talking about the vvt sensor

wongy

Thrash it!

I used to drive mine quite slowly most places and i think it got used to it, now i do give it stick and it responds. I dont rag it when cold tho

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

You answered the question yourself...your mums been driving it, and probably not pushing the car so in my professional opinion

Rag it till the wheels fall off!

Oh yeah...get it filled up with 97 or 98...should help

The VVT actuator, not a sensor.......

try it....if its broke it wont make a diff if its plugged in or out.

the 95 rom petorl is the problem, mine runs sh*te on it, better on 98, but optimax is the b****cks !

YOU WILL FEEL THE DIFFERENCE ! :D

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by sjd172 on 04 June 2003

the 95 rom petorl is the problem, mine runs sh*te on it, better on 98, but optimax is the b****cks !

YOU WILL FEEL THE DIFFERENCE ! :D
Agreed, 95ron is crap.. I had to put 97ron Super unleaded in recently and even that felt crap.. get some optimax in it.. that will do the trick ..

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

Is it cos majority of 172s are slow...........:eek:;)

how does your 16v compare with your 172?

the cam is phased at anything above 1500rpm really, its only depahsed when off throttle and at idle/low engine speed. There is no kick, thats teh cam comming on.

aircon is off when i drive it as i know it saps power

always heard that at 5k there was a subtle kick cheres ben

aaron

thats will open up a whole can or worms mate, last time me benr and benh said what we said we all got flammed

wongy

definatley use optimax,i filled up with cheapo asda petrol hmm 71.7p/litre but as soon s i started car up ran lumpy on idle,still goes,but nothing like as responsive as when optimax in!

check airbox has not got kinked cold air feeds etc,people say car feels/pul better the more miles you put on i.e 35k LOL ive only got less than half that,

if it has been driven round like morgan freeman in driving miss daisy it will feel slower as the whole rev range isnt used!not to say driving around at 6000 rpm in 2nd all the time will do it any good either!

RB5 & 172

mine has started to feel really slow, no more kick at 5k. its done 34k, just had its big service but still feels slow. it does have a loose engine mount (i think) so that wont help. had it on the rollers a couple of weeks ago which confirmed its lack of power, it was really hot though! strange thing is it used to really fly?

and its always run on optimax.:confused:

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

im sorry but changing to Optimax is NOT neccessarly gonna make the car (172) faster, no way.

Optimax on N/A cars doesnt make any difference, psychological maybe, but on the tarmac no way. In turbo cars it may make some sort of difference but only minimal.

The car may run better overall and the engine internals may be cleaner but it WONT improve the car in out right speed.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Wongy

Maybe your mum has put a speed limiter on it, for when you are driving her car, to restrict your speed!

;)

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Mine seemed to lose power at 25k but I figured I was getting used to it.

at 32k now and it seems much stronger...either my car is going through phases or its all mental

S2000

Aaron

Moving from 95 RON to 98 RON will make a huge difference on a 172, due to it requiring 98 RON for optimal performance!! Being a Turbo has absolutely nothing to do with it!!!!!

CTR EK9 turbo

jimblive - you have a mk.1 check those cold air feed pipes mate. I bet the mechanics put them on the wrong holes. Mine always do and it feels like boat. I had trouble out-torquing a 406 when i had kinky pipes (im hoping he was in 4th as i was in 5th).....

Mk2 172

Quote: Originally posted by GirlRacer on 04 June 2003

Wongy

Maybe your mum has put a speed limiter on it, for when you are driving her car, to restrict your speed!

;)

As it is your mums car, you might want to check that her comfy foot cusion hasnt got stuck under the accellerator, and that there arent excessive sweet wrappers in the door pockets.

Just run it low on fuel and refill with optimax and take it out whenever you can and get it to 7k in 1st, 2nd and 3rd as often as possible. It will never loosen up at the top end / on the cams if it doesnt ever rev in that range. It will be quicker after 1 week of the above.

RB5 & 172

si, i checked that. the feed at the top of the air box goes to top of bumper, lower air box feed goes down lower, right way round? they do look cramp.

CTR EK9 turbo

hi jim, ill have a look and see today. It helps to get a torch in there and check the roundness of the pipes as they seem to get squashed really easily. Or just take them off completely and youve got yourself one loud mutha....try it, its cheaper than a viper!