ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Limited Slip Differential (LSD) choice

Chase Racing Clio
So, we have been investigating the choices with regards to limited slip differentials in the race car. We have been pondering the question of what is better for us when it comes to track use. Will a helical one be better than a multi-plate one?? The two products we're looking at so far are:

http://www.quaife.co.uk/shop/products/qdf6m-0 Helical

http://www.gripperdifferentials.com/Gipper-Differential-Renault-Clio-JC5-JB3.html Multi-plate

What I'd like to know is, has anyone got any good technical knowledge on the difference? Or has anyone had any experience of either of these types of differential and might be able to recognise the practical differences?

Quaife is what I'm putting in my racecar. Fit and forget. Though the Gripper does work better, but I can't be arsed to take it out loads to have it serviced etc. That little benefit of extra traction is pointless when I could just learn the circuit better, or having better suspension.

Nick

Fit and forget for me too.....gripper may be better but having to take the gearbox out and re plate the diff each year is something I don't want to do....not really the technical reply you're after but time effort money wins.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Can't compare the two as I haven't been in a Quaife'd one, but I'm more than happy with the Gripper in mine. Servicing vs fit & forget is something to consider though, as highlighted by the guys above.

Oli

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I am under the impression that if you lift a wheel with the Quaife diff it will not lock up and will spin the wheel up, where as the gripper will still lock up. So if you are clattering over kerbs and things I think the gripper performs better. I believe the Gripper is more aggressive with regards to the way it locks as well, i guess, if that is a pro or con is up to you.

I have not used either however and am only regurgitating information I have read on the forum in the past in the hope it is of some use to you.