ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lively back end while braking at speed!

172 Cup
A couple of time now while travelling at high speeds and having to brake pretty suddenly the back end feels extremely lively (like its wiggling from left - right) to be honest its pretty damn scary too and im wondering if its a potential problem or just a charactristic of the car.

Also i have had the front Disc's and Pads changed but not the rears as they were in good condition.

Thanks

Golf GTD Mk7
welcome to owning a hot hatch ;) Its normal mate. Wouldn't worry about it, be warey of it, but once you know it happens it takes you a little less by supprise.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
Just happened to me a little while ago for the first time.

Braking from about 80 on a dual carriage way, sweeping bend just before a roundabout. I was a little bit scared:eek:

Homo spec mazda
Happened to me the other day, mate who im following changes lane, I go to get behind him but have to wait for a car to let me in, as i check my blindspot and move over my mate randomly jumps on the brakes, so me half way between lanes hard on the brakes back end wagging whilst passenger is screaming her head off and everyone around me looks to be having brown trouser moments, It was actually quite fun.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
Short wheel base + no weight at the back = Some intrested handling under braking.

Its probably because the back end is lighter than the front and most of the braking is at the front. Mine does it all the time, you get used to it.

has anyone else not been tempted to write something clever?

"lively back end while braking at speed" would immediately make me want to type "if you are shitting yourself when braking, go slower"

or is this just my childish mind?

***prepares for post to be deleted***

jamie

182 FF
I had this problem on my 172cup and ive just discovered ive got a broken rear spring! So have a look just in case- still its an excuse to upgrade to eibachs:D

ITB'd MK1
rear brakes do very little, so they rear isn't slowing itself down. If the front is in top form and the rear is just "ok" then the only thing acting on slowing the rear is the fact the front is holding it back. Learned this many years ago on bigger cars where if you fit big front brakes you get nosediving and the rear becomes skitty, beefing up the rears to match is never popular and probably not so worth it on a clio, but making sure the calipers are fully working (handbrake in caliper type rears are VERY seizure prone) with good disks and pads and it should be less concerning

BG 182 FF
If you car has been lowered m8y and your suspension is hard adjust the damping on the back and let some air out of your back tyres slightly. However you will still get it stepping out sometimes just part of the fun lol :)

Focus ST-2
I was chasing a Mini GP with a load of mods on it last Sunday and had to throw down the anchors at the junction at the bottom that did the same but it felt pretty under control from about 90mph.