ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking at a few Ph1 172's

BMW E90 & PH2 172
Right today "22nd" I'm going to look at a few Ph1 172 and fingers crossed bringing one home, I was just wounding what to look out for and any top tips on buying one, I'm not a novice in buying cars but atm i do not know much about Clio's to know what look out for, So any advice ?

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Check the cambelt has been done. If it hasn't, or no proof but the seller says it has, its a good place to barter as its a £450+ job. Also listen for a diesel-like rattle when warm. It'll be the dephaser pulley, ehich is another £160, but can be changed with the cambelt.

Apart from that, just the usual faults. Rear wheel bearings, knocks from suspension, leaking rear shocks, standard exhausts rot quickly. Dont expect too much unless its a minter and you'll be happy, they arn't the toughest of cars and most are at least 11 years old.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Lol ^^^ I can sense another ph1 v ph2 battle coming on. In all seriousness just a good check of the car, make sure it drives okay with no nasty knocks. Like said above check for cambelt replacement as its an expensive job. If they are advertised on the likes of Autotrader, Pistonheads etc stick a link up on here to see if anyone knows the car. Or better still stick a wanted thread up if you havent done so far. Good luck with the search though.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Points are covered in the posts above, cambelt, dephaser and invoiced service history would be a bonus etc. Also std exhaust especially the backbox tend to crack on the join pipe with the centre section, check the rubber mounts. From personal experience bar oil and filter changes the Clio 172s don't burn holes in ones wallet bar the wear and tear items. And even then i've found replacement parts to be reasonable, they're a great car to work on and drive

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
my best advice is to get a ph2! :) best decision i ever made.

Mental.

As for the ph1:

Check for cambelt from someone reputable and when it's been done. (Every 5 years or 72k miles) Oh and make sure it was a full kit fitted, not just a belt.
Check for signs on leaking oil around the inlet plenum
Check how the clutch feels, most are getting to the mileage now where they'd want one
Check throttle doesn't stick when warm
Check for knocking when going from lock to lock

MK3 GTI golf 16v
only issue with mine is a sticky throttle, dont let one put you off though as its not a pain to fix. plus you can use it as cruise control ;) good luck though

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Some inspiration for you :p

IMG_0006.jpg

BMW E90 & PH2 172
Dont pick it up till tomorrow but ill post some of the photos they used,

KGrHqIOKiwE6Znq0wBOmeNCf-g60_12.jpg

KGrHqMOKm4E55zp2WkBOmfFTB160_12.jpg

Attachments

• $(KGrHqIOKiwE6Z(nq,0wBOm,eNCf-g~~60_14.JPG
    $(KGrHqIOKiwE6Z(nq,0wBOm,eNCf-g~~60_14.JPG
    1.7 KB · Views: 175
  • $(KGrHqMOKm4E55zp2Wk+BOm,fFTB1!~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqMOKm4E55zp2Wk+BOm,fFTB1!~~60_12.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 66
  BMW E90 & PH2 172
Na been looking at a few for the past month or so, Mileage is 85k T&T and of course the roof bars, Which will be for sale within 10mins of me having the car at home lol

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
16's for show, 15's for go.... my arse....

16's for the daddies, 15's for tramps that want cheap tyres :p

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
16's for show, 15's for go.... my arse....

16's for the daddies, 15's for tramps that want cheap tyres :p

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
One of the Scottish lads on here is selling a black Ph1, £2.5k and is one of the cleanest 172's i've EVER seen..