ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

looking into buying a 172 soon

BG182FF
and just wondering, they're 170hp standard...yay or nay? How much potential does the engine have re; with fitting a decent induction kit, exhaust system, maybe cams/a remap? would I be looking at big bucks to reach 200bhp?

Also after having a bit of a read, heard a couple of stories about the engines randomly dropping inlet valves and going bang..:S do the engines stick a good thrashing or not really?

thanks all :)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Had mine for over and its been fine. Teething issues to begin with but apart from that its been spot on. Ive had quicker cars etc but pound for pound its great. Welcome btw

Dan.

ph1 track weapon
Engine wise all
Of mine have been spot on :) electrics went on one but otherwise no real issues :)

Well I recently learnt vary rAdely will you get 172bhp standard as they actually produce 167 standard. As for mods youd have to check with others as mines standard. As for strength they pull like a muthaf...!

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
If you are coming from a 106 GTi, then it is a nice little step up.

I should know, I did the same a few years back ;).

Went for a PH1 and wasn't disappointed in the slightest! Loved that car.

BG182FF
good feedback is always a step in the right direction :D My gti has been rebuilt on throttlebodies, cams, all that jazz. goes like stink and awesome fuel consumption too but im starting to think i'd like car thats more modern, and just as quick as standard..? Probably get one with the leather and all the toys, as I'd probably lower the car myself, and doubt i'd notice the loss of 20kg the cup has.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Great upgrade mate and a bargain at the moment imo.

I do still worry about reliability, especially with the age so jyst beware, but tbh being on a forum does that to you.

BG182FF
yeah I couldnt help notice the price of some on ebay, well within reach! wasn't so long ago I looked at a couple and they were mostly £3-4k across the board. Do the engines respond as well as the 106 gti lumps to breathing mods, ect?

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
yeah I couldnt help notice the price of some on ebay, well within reach! wasn't so long ago I looked at a couple and they were mostly £3-4k across the board. Do the engines respond as well as the 106 gti lumps to breathing mods, ect?

Unfortunately not.

The little 1.6 TU lump is an awesome revvy little motor.

The F4R doesn't respond anywhere near as well, unless you are looking to spend some big bucks, IE bodies, cams, forced induction etc etc etc.

BG182FF
Unfortunately not.

The little 1.6 TU lump is an awesome revvy little motor.

The F4R doesn't respond anywhere near as well, unless you are looking to spend some big bucks, IE bodies, cams, forced induction etc etc etc.[/QUOTE

It is that! :D Last question is regarding the suspension/handling really..could well be biased, but I've always heard they dont corner as well as the little peugeot hothatch, although a friend of mine which had a 172 cup said he thought it handled better than the 106 gti he now owns:boring:

Seen the top gear/5th gear vid comparing the VTS to the clio round a track too. seeing as i'd probably fit my own suspension setup, would there be a lot in it?

ph1 track weapon
Having owned both I found my 106 more planted to be honest. Had bilstein group n on mine and it was cammed. Awesome little car and sad it went really :( needed rust work sorting and it ha a few other issues

PB Clio 172
What I would say is that if you want to strip it etc get a ph 1 or a ph2 cup but as the ph2 172 or 182 is quick enough why not just enjoy is as it is engine wise

just make sure you service it, look after it and do the belts you will have fun !

Have driven the 106gti and its ok but nothing like the RS drives!

clio 172 no2/ yzf r1
i had a vr6 b4 i got my172 and id have 1 any day over the golf, fuel consumption aint that bad for what power u get from 1 either ,

i had it on the rolling road and it made 187.1 thats with a catback stainless system/182 manifold/induction kit/remap

Maybe a 172 Cup..
To the OP, unless you had six numbers up last night, don't buy a Clio and start chasing figures!

Vw caddy tdi
They cheap to buy for a reason expect it to need everything doing it has not just had done eg tyres brakes mounts bushes rack arb + wishbones driveshafts rack ends alternator cam and ps belts inc dephaser exhaust tb idle probs gearbox leaks syncro wear electrical gremlins starter motor wireing and relays. Although when serviced regularly they are good little cars.

BG182FF
They cheap to buy for a reason expect it to need everything doing it has not just had done eg tyres brakes mounts bushes rack arb + wishbones driveshafts rack ends alternator cam and ps belts inc dephaser exhaust tb idle probs gearbox leaks syncro wear electrical gremlins starter motor wireing and relays.

oh god :dead: