ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

looking to get sub & amp

2004 100bhp dci
hello all

looking into getting a sub & amp but i dont know what to go for some subs sound better in certain cars and i really dont know what makes/models are good, clios have a small boot so i think a single sub, i also want good low tones and decent treble vocal not some distorted crap u hear from chavs in 106's down ya local homebase

cheers people for the suggestions

Impreza WRX
hey mate

im running a sony headunit - cd/mp3/ipod

4 x pioneer 5.25inch speakers
2 x pioneer 6x9 speakers
1 x inphase 15" sub & box
2 x inphase 1200w amps

dont bother buying cheap 'spl' amps bud, that claim 1000w, which they will never come close to half that.

inphase arent the cheapest, but if you want quality aswell, you got to pay for it.

just a rough price guide

speakers - 80 for the 4
6x9's - 60
inphase sub - 350
inphase amps - 300 each

but you also must have quality cable, im not the best to advise on cable, but a few lads on here have helped me out a while ago, search for the old posts.

link to the sub here mate, id recommend 1 of them shake the shite out of the clio lol

http://www.inphaseaudio.co.uk/xt-range.php?Cid=1_14&products_id=52

2004 100bhp dci
yeah i dont get all this technical lingo like spl and all that lol, i was looking at the kicker l7, i do know that there are different wattage ratings like 1000w isnt the same as 1000wrmps and all that type of thing i want a sub thats not the best in the world, but will play my music better then the standard speakers, i am willing to spend out as music is my pride and joy :) i also have a sony headunit so it is reasuring to hear other people use them too

thankyou for finding a thread for me i did use the search menu but when i typed subs it brought up threads which were no use, thank you il read on

vaux cavalier
Hi mate....

My advice often upsets people, so please consider this when your reading the following.....

yeah i dont get all this technical lingo like spl and all that lol, i was looking at the kicker l7

^^Kicker L7 subs are renowned for getting loud but sounding crap whilst doing it^^

If quality is your preference, then avoid the Kickers....

i also have a sony headunit so it is reasuring to hear other people use them too

^^Sony head units have seriously gone downhill over the last few years, I personally wouldn't recommend one unless it was manufactured before the mid 90s^^

Now onto the 'In-Phase' recommendations....

inphase arent the cheapest, but if you want quality aswell, you got to pay for it.

When I read ^^that^^ I nearly wet myself.....

inphase sub - 350
inphase amps - 300 each

When I read ^^that^^ I did wet myself.....

Seriously mate, if your considering spending £950 on 'In-Phase' junk then you really should pop over to TalkAudio and seek further advice.....

Now onto the 'Vibe' active enclosures, these play hard & low, ideally suited to fast paced dance beats, easily puts the 'In-Phase' stuff in its place.....

Now onto the 'Infinity' items, probably the best quality of all the above recommendations, but I would recommend you follow the link to TA and seek help over on there.....(you could supply a link to this thread and ask for further opinions).....

alien green rs133
i have a 8" alphasonic sub and it is awesome for its size

but i also have rainbow components in the front, now they are utter class, bargin aswell, barron i can tell regrets selling them :D

2004 100bhp dci
its ok i take anything anyone says as a postivie and a negative lol its good to learn other peoples opinions as it helps make my opinions better i was looking at some focal stuff too as they apprently have a good reputation for quality aswell as sound

there really are to many choices im learning this wrms and 2 ohm and bridging and all this on how to make subs play more rms at lower ohms im still not sure what crossovers are though or component speakers and sets but im getting there

i still haven't made my mind up yet though ill update with my choice

i spent most of today reading ever thread on all for pages for kicker in this forum section and it still hasn't helped me much

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
I've got a cheap sub/amp/box/wiring kit for sale - looking for about 95 quid or somewhere near that as it won't fit in my vx220.

It produced a good enough sound for me in my last car when combined with the standard headunit/speakers.

It really depends how much bass you want, and whether you are going to put any other audio equipment in the car. If you are going to keep standard speakers/headunit with no amps for other speakers then there's no real point in buying the most expensive/loud sub/amp combination as it'll just drown out the speakers and sound silly.

I've got a 400watt RMS JBL 2 channel amp to power a 10"JBL sub (supposedly 1000 peak power or so it says on the cone) plus a non-ported carpeted box, and wiring kit.It's loud enough, and quite punchy. Might be worth a look?

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
i have a kenwood headunit and a superb dual 12" alpine sub and amp. cost loads but i could never go back now. i get in other cars and laugh as the standard sound quality.

vaux cavalier
At last someone has mentioned JBL....

Quite possibly the best value for money brand currently available....

The amps are CEA rated, so actually do rated power....

The subs are conservatively rated, so will take plenty of abuse & sound pretty good doing it....

Just avoid ordering from 'car audio centre' as these will offer 'In-Phase' or similar replacements due to stock shortages, (larger profit margins on these brands due to inflated rrp)....

Ph1 172 + Combo van
Wallop, or anyone, can you reccomend the best sub for around £80?

Has to be a 12" playing from a jbl 1004 amp 2 channels bridged. so in theory about 100wrms. Would you reccomend ported or sealed? I want hard hitting and low. cheers:)

vaux cavalier
Wallop, or anyone, can you reccomend the best sub for around £80?

Has to be a 12" playing from a jbl 1004 amp 2 channels bridged. so in theory about 100wrms. Would you reccomend ported or sealed? I want hard hitting and low. cheers:)

There is a little confusion about the 'Bridged' output power of the GTO 1004e amplifier.....

The actual 'Bridged' power is closer to 300w rms into a 4ohm load....

I've had very good results using GT5 12" subs off these amps, you can either design & build your own enclosure, (which would enable you to tune lower), or simply buy a JBL package, SEE BELOW.... (tuned at around 40hz to 45hz at a guess)....

I would recommend a 'Ported' enclosure, I think there is an enclosure design on TA somewhere done by dumdum....Will search for it shortly....

For the simplest approach JBL Package available only from 'MOTORWORLD' at £79.99 I believe....
GT5PORTEDBOX.gif

Dimensions...
GT5BOXWITHDIMENSIONS.gif

Actual enclosure...
PORTEDFRONT.gif

dumdums design thread which is for two GT5s, you could pm him for help designing an enclosure for one sealed.....You could even ask him to build it for you, his work always looks top notch.....

Some others to consider...
SPL Dynamics

I would also recommend you have a search for the new Ascendant Audio subs, getting rave revues from all quarters, but as yet I haven't personally used one....

Hope this helps mate...

Last edited:
  2004 100bhp dci
yeah it helps quite alot im now on that TA forum and there is some intresting items on there, as for motorworld went there yesterday and they have gone into "ADMINISTRATION" so there fore closed down in norwich which is where i live lol and if you didn't know norwich is sh*T for car audio there is nowhere i can go look or preview subs so now i have to buy online purely blindly and from just reviews so got to think carefully

N/A Currently
I'm running a JL-WO 12" Sub, on an MTX Thunder 4 channel amp, using 2 guage wiring (I think)

And that sounds goooooood

Just wanting to wire the front components to the amp now