ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lots of brake related questions, all in one thread.

Re: One standard, one well good. Put the well good brake system on front or back?!

I'd read that general info in detail already, but there wasn't enough for me to base my buying decisions / performance / safety on alone. Gettin' loads of helpful info here tho, thanks!

What exactly are you looking to know?

Just get stock and accept its sperb for the price otherwise pay a lot more and upgrade the whole setup.

PH1 172 Sport
Re: One standard, one well good. Put the well good brake system on front or back?!

Just get some Brembo MAX or Brembo HC disks for the front and some decent road pads. Drilled Disks are not very functional on a clio as the holes if drilled incorrectly make the disks brittle and they tend to crack.

Stick to stock brakes at the rear of the car.

PH1 172 Sport
Re: Any point upgrading to performance slotted brake disks if standard ones are okay?

As said in your other thread Brembo Max or Brembo HC are more than up to the job.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD

Why the hell would you put the best brake on the back?

LY 182

depends what exactly you are after dont quite understand what you mean.
but one thing you have to understand is all this drilled/grooved super duper carlos fandago malarcy on the discs is all in an effort to reduce brake fade - they dont nessecerily bite or pull up better.
obviously differnt compounds of brake pads will effect braking effort and feel but not really to an extent where it would affect brake bias.

as mentioned the fronts do 75% of the work so i would say you'd want to be reducing fade on the front more than you would the back if that is what you are after

LY 182
Re: Any point upgrading to performance slotted brake disks if standard ones are okay?

as mentioned in your other thread its mainly in an effort to reduce fade and in which case its more pads that are going to help you out.
in my oppinion standard discs are fine aslong as you use quality ones.

Lionel Richie

oi! i only use brembo HC on my cars (PF's get through 3 pairs of them!)

Clio 172 Cup

what a bunch of girls
thats all i have to say on the matter

'Parking brake lever has no reserve travel'

A fail on my MOT : (

1. Can this be repaired fairly easily by a non-mechanic or best to take to garage?

2. Should I order a new cable / other parts, or would the existing cable normally just be adjusted?

3. Is there such a thing as 'performance handbrake cables'?

Thanks.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat
Re: 'Parking brake lever has no reserve travel'

1. If your asking then garage.
2. Cable can just be adjusted.
3. Im not aware no.

My bicycle!!

i guess a hydrolic handbrake would be more performance?

adjusting a handbrake is a 10 minute job!

dont really know alot on them!

How many grooves to choose on a disk?

Some brake manufacturers sell discs with a choice of number of grooves.

E.g. 6, 12 or 20

Anyone got any thoughts on which choices would be better / worse for certain situations, or is it a purely cosmetic consideration?

S4 Avant
Re: How many grooves to choose on a disk?

more groves on the disc, cools them down quicker, but reduces the life of the disc. only really useful if your track driving, or driving hard

I can imagine how the pads would wear down more quickly but could you explain why more grooves would cause the disc to wear down more quickly.

S4 Avant

not an expert on the subject, so some one will more than likely show me up here, but if your heating a metal up and cooling it quickly over and over again, it'll weaken and develop cracks. its all to do with the grooves being able to channel away gasses made between the pad and disc, and increasing surface area of the disc.

M2 Competition

What are you using the car for?

If you're going away from oem id go for either brembo hc's (no grooves) or brembo max (star shaped groove pattern)

LY 182

hydraulic hanbrakes are an mot fail
no reserve travel means it comes up too high.
no - handbrake cables are just a standard item nothing to uprate on them.

alot of people just wind the cable up - this is not the correct way to adjust the cable up.
best way to do it is completely deadjust the cable so its slack
get in the car and pump the pedal 5 or so times.
then re adjust cable to 3 or 4 clicks

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Re: Nitrac discs any good?

would you concidered a set of 4 pots? with new two piece disks - the lot?

normal rrp is £800

i can sort you out for £650

C63 AMG, F430 & 172

u sure?

s16.jpg

;)

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer

so let me get this right, these performance parts are for a 1.2?!?!?!?

dont bother, stick with standard, job done :rolleyes:

Are all rear drums for the Clio suitable for all Clios?

or are there different types to look out for.

Need a pair for a mk1.2. Can you still get them new and from where please.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Re: Are all rear drums for the Clio suitable for all Clios?

No its quite alright. Part number 105745001 is correct.

A) Yes. 98- means 98 on -98 means up to 1998.
B) No each.

But as i said get them checked first.

Last edited:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

No, you need to know what you are looking at.

Those drums listed are fine.

Be very careful there 3 typres of rear shoes used 2 are for the smaller shoes and one is used on the larger shoes only way to be sure it so check but usualy the cars have the larger setup its the only ones Halfords etc keep ins tock and don't trust what the computers say there usually wrong.

Is it okay to paint rear drums?

I want black paint to:
protect against rust
make the drums look better behind alloys

Does it need to be VHT paint or can a quality rust prevention paint be used?

ITB BG 182
Re: Is it okay to paint rear drums?

hammerite is the best bet plus at about 2 quid a can is the cheapist way also, better than that caliper paint kit crap.

Re: Is it okay to paint rear drums?

Hammerite it is then!

Is painting the drums to match the body colour okay or a no-no?

I realise that it would draw attention to the fact its a drum, but I think it draws even more attention if the rear is painted black while the front caliper is colour.