ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Loud clunk on full lock - Top mounts

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
HI Guys,

I have been getting very loud clunks when manoeuvring at low speeds for a while now on full or close to full lock. It has also happened when braking or accelerating briskly. It sounds like its coming from the front suspension and sounds like maybe the top mounts moving around? It doesnt sound like metal on metal at all and I can sort of here it resonate like the springs are vibrating. The steering wheel also jerks a little bit when it happens. I've tried to get a video but it just doesnt come through very well on camera.

I've ordered the top mount spacer washers so hopefully this will help. Have recently changed the top mounts, wishbones and ARB bushes for OE ones, could this be an issue?

Thanks

182FF - Land Rover
I would first spanner check the recently changed parts, especially the wishbones and ARB mounts. These can work a little loose and shift. Happened to mine. Had a random clunk on full left lock. Tightened the one wishbone and sorted.

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
Okay will do, is it best to tighten the wishbones with some load on the wheel or when up in the air? Pretty sure I did everything up RFT but I'll look up proper torques this time.

182FF - Land Rover
Ideally when loaded as you say, but it won't make a big difference, so don't worry just check it

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
Not had a chance to get under the car yet. I fitted the strut spacer kit today but it hasn't helped at all. Tried to replicate the noise dry steering but it doesn't clunk all when going lock to lock. It makes a sort of similar noise if I turn the top mount with a spanner without holding the centre. Will attach video

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
Got under the car today and toghtened everything. Near side ARB bracket was a little loose but other than that all seemed tight. I gave the engine a quick wobble and noticed a bit of a noise coming from the drivers side engine mount. The mount is aftermarket but its only about 4 months old. The gearbox mount is solid and was replaced at the same time.
The only mount I havent replaced is the dogbone, could this be causing extra play in the other mount?