ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Loud on-throttle noise at speed

Abarth 595 Comp
Hi, recently I have notice when going at 70+mph (in both 4th and 5th) a fairly loud noise (loud enough to be heard over everything else) which when you instantly hear, can tell its coming from the bottom left front of the car. The gearbox feels fine when going through gears and the noise isn't like a whining noise, its more a constant drone when on-throttle.

Anyone have any ideas?

Abarth 595 Comp
Wheel bearing?
Driveshaft / CV joint?
Was thinking this also, but is there a way to specifically check them without me blasting it on the motorway? Possibly jack it up and look around for some play? I'd do this anyway but I dont have the space/time right now.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
As per Goodj, as a first point of call, jack it up and check play for wheels. Most likely bearing tbh.

Listerine & Poledo
As per Goodj, as a first point of call, jack it up and check play for wheels. Most likely bearing tbh.
This guy ^ Taught me everything I know about how to use a spanner.

Shame I didn't take any bloody notice....and it wasn't on a Clio

Abarth 595 Comp
Thanks for the replies, will check them as soon as I get time, car doesnt get used much anyway.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
When the car is jacked up try to move the top and bottom of the wheel towards the brakes / engine and away again. There shouldn't be any movement there. If there is, then you've found your problem.

If that doesn't show what the problem is, but it in first (whilst on axle stands, with the engine off) then rotate the wheels by hand. If it makes a strange grinding noise, it is likely to be the bearing aswell.

Out of interest, if you're anywhere near Reading I don't mind having a look.

Abarth 595 Comp
nowhere near reading unfortunately, spoke to my dad quickly about it, he doesnt seem to think its an issue from the bearing otherwise it would happen more frequently - he said. but will check them anyway

Listerine & Poledo
It's the most common noise to come from that corner, it would start off as only being noticeable at speed then grow to be an ever-present noise.
Which will eventually turn into a failed bearing.
Which I'm sure is not a good thing to happen on a motorway

Abarth 595 Comp
Yeah, like I said it will be checked anyway, fortunately I never have to go on the motorway and my commute is pretty low speed anyway.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
It is a process of elimination I'm afraid. Check the bearings first. Then check CV joints and driveshafts.

If neither of those, then it's likely to be gearbox related. Which will get expensive. So check for the cheaper things first, as above.

Mazda RX8
turke, did you solve your problem?
I'm curious as my girlfriend's 182 has the same issue. Everything is nice and normal volume in the car, having a conversation and that but as soon as we pass 90(ish)mph the entire cabin fills with a really loud squeeling noise (like we need to shout to talk) and as soon as you drop the speed it goes away completely and suddenly, just like clicking ur fingers, happens with clutch in or out and in 4th or 5th. I've opened the window but then i can only hear wind noise so not sure where it's coming from. I immediately thought bearing but the off/on aspect of the noise has properly threw me.

Abarth 595 Comp
Nope, I spoke about it to @NorthloopCup and it could be a clutch problem with me, although I haven't really had to use my car lately or had the money to do the clutch, but even then its not certain it's the clutch. However your problem sounds worse than mine? I mean mine isn't that loud but its still noticeable. Honestly it could be a lot of things I guess for me, I'm going to get it properly serviced soon and I'll go from there.

And also, mine doesn't happen when the clutch is disengaged or the box is in neutral

Last edited:
  Clio 182
turke, did you solve your problem?
I'm curious as my girlfriend's 182 has the same issue. Everything is nice and normal volume in the car, having a conversation and that but as soon as we pass 90(ish)mph the entire cabin fills with a really loud squeeling noise (like we need to shout to talk) and as soon as you drop the speed it goes away completely and suddenly, just like clicking ur fingers, happens with clutch in or out and in 4th or 5th. I've opened the window but then i can only hear wind noise so not sure where it's coming from. I immediately thought bearing but the off/on aspect of the noise has properly threw me.

This may or may not be the same thing but I had a similar problem to this at any speed above 75. Found this thread with the reason as to why it happens;
http://www.cliosport.net/threads/clio-182-wind-noise-over-80mph.682532/
Reason in post 4. There is a video of the noise in post 22.

Mazda RX8
youaretheooze, youabsolutehero! That's exactly the same noise as in the video on the track. So you say the reason is in post 4? The wing mirror temperature sensor? Seems odd... I shall investigate when i get home in a few days though. Glad it's a relatively common problem and not a bearing. Hadn't occoured to me to be wind related.
Cheers

Clio 182
youaretheooze, youabsolutehero! That's exactly the same noise as in the video on the track. So you say the reason is in post 4? The wing mirror temperature sensor? Seems odd... I shall investigate when i get home in a few days though. Glad it's a relatively common problem and not a bearing. Hadn't occoured to me to be wind related.
Cheers

Its the interior light on the headliner. If you push the light when you hear it next time you'll notice it will either change pitch or stop completely. Mine stopped completely after a couple of attempts. Apparently, according to the thread in the link, there is a loom of cables that runs into the light which has a label on it that vibrates when the wind gets to it.