ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Loud pop, auxiliary belt partly shredded... HELP

Silver Phase 2 172
I work in a garage myself and if this had happened to us then we would be doing everything we could to sort out the problem but at the same time we are insured incase things like were ever to happen!

Hope you get it all sorted nice a pain free buddy!

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
I had a cambelt snap on me a few years ago.. Just done brakes on a 172, went to pull it off the lift and belt snapped... I hadnt been anywhere nearthe cambelt but the car was in my hands at the time so i had to stump up the cash for 16 new valves, cambelt kit, aux kit, waterpump, headgasket etc.. Not ideal but it was my responsibilty to sort it

FF 182
Hi guys, I popped down there earlier and just put it on him with all my service documents, other mechanics opinions, citizens advice etc etc. At this point he hadn't even checked if the engine had gone however I also mentioned the quote I received from engine dynamics for fitting another engine (£1100 inc VAT with full service, new belts and free recovery). Literally just received a phone call saying he will pay the bill for all of it :D and ill be receiving a cheque tomorrow! Absolutely fantastic news and despite my loss of work other the past few days and next week while its getting repaired ill actually be better off mechanically! :)

Would just like to take this time to thank every single one of you who offered their opinions, advice and help as I definitely wouldn't of been in a strong enough position as this to tackle him how I did this afternoon so THANK YOU :) I'm sincerely grateful!

Best regards

Jack (now and even prouder CS owner)

Well done mate looks like your sorted then ! Nothing worse than being unsure about it !

Its all going to be sorted, very surprised he's offered to be honest , our garage would be fitting a new engine ourselves lol , but maybe he just wants wash his hands of it lol

great news none the less !

Clio
Great result! Engine dynamics will sort you out. I wouldn't be booking it in to engine dynamics until the cheque clears though!

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Even though you had been nowhere near the cambelt?

That is crap

Yeah it sucked, but car was in my care at the time and I couldnt give him back a f**ked car so just took the hit, he was happy and has been back ever since so its always a bonus.

OT: Sounds like a good result mate!

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
What a fantastic result - you see, everyone makes mistakes but it's how they deal with them that matters.

Good to see that he is sorting you out, putting his mistake right with little or no fuss. Mind you don't go giving him a bad name though, if you know what i mean, he made a mistake and he's making good. Not the be all and end all I know for the inconvenience etc but I know a lot of places that would've given you the royal run and left you high and dry.

275 Trophy
Brilliant result mate - as long as he's as good as his word.

I was going to suggest giving him reasonable chance to fix his mistake, but informing him that if it's not satisfactory then you will consider legal action. I did this with the wifes 1.6 Megane after a garage botched the timing belt. It didn't snap but the car was terrible. Took him to the small claims court to recover the cost of Birchdown putting it right. He didn't even turn up as he had no defense so the judge ruled in my favor, plus costs. Cheap and easy (apart from having to pay up front to get teh problem fixed).

Hope you get it all sorted - keep the thread updated.

FF 182
Thanks for all your support guys! Cars now in with Andy @ engine dynamics. Slightly out of pocket though due to recovery costs that I mis read on the quote. All new belts and dephaser pulley being fitted and now considering a new clutch possibly? As I'm only going to have to pay for parts I may take the opportunity now. However I'm very basic with mechanics, any advice/recommendations?

Cant wait to get her back :(

monaco 172
If the engine is out deffinatly get a new clutch kit fitted. I got a brand new Valeo OE clutch kit from Maynard for 110.

Itl save an absolute pig of a job when the clutch does pack in so yeh go for it!

monaco 172
Are you having the head rebuilt or a new engine? If its the latter certsbog go for a clutch. But if the heads being rebukt the clutch isn't touched.

I'm guessing he's having a new engine because he said he won't have to pay any extra labour for the clutch change, with the engine out thr car a clutch change would only take about half an hour compared to a days job with the engine in the car

330i. E30 Touring.
I'm guessing he's having a new engine because he said he won't have to pay any extra labour for the clutch change, with the engine out thr car a clutch change would only take about half an hour compared to a days job with the engine in the car

Half hour?

Five minutes to swap a clutch on a car having an engine swap (assuming it's keeping the old gearbox)