ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

loud rumble

b/g 182, meg tourer
had been using my brakes fairly heavily and pushing the car slightly (not stupidly) and a loud rumble appeared. it sounded like either a wheel bearing or breaks rubbing. it stopped after obout 5 seconds, then it did it again a minute later after using the breaks then getting up to speed.
i don't think it can be a wheel bearing because its not making the noise all of the time. any ideas what it could be?

thanks

Megane R26, R21 Turbo
check your discs and pads

what, just for wear in general? fronts are fine. rears seem to be on their way out soon.
how can you tell if a disc is warped?

when mine started to go i heard a sort of rumbling/ grinding noise it doesnt do it constantly untill your discs really are badly warped when they start to go, you can hear them when you brake but its not constant, just run your finger over the discs they should be pretty much nice and smooth you can tell by looking at the discs anyway theres a lot of grooves covering it when theyre warped, you are talking about a 182? not alot of braking is done by the rears i bought some brembo's for mine with wear indicators

b/g 182, meg tourer
yeah i get a rumble/grinding noise, but not every time after i brake. its happened a few times after some sprinted driving and heavy (ish) breaking.
when i press the brakes they seem to grind a little on the discs.
the rear's as you say, don't actually do a lot. the rear pads are very thin anyway. anyone know how thin they should be when they need replacing?

Megane R26, R21 Turbo
when mine started to go it didnt do it everytime i braked, can you actually see any of the pad on the rear? mine had a rusty coloured scuff mark when it started doing it on the disc which was the rears but i think this is the first time they were about to be replaced i bought my car at 27k

b/g 182, meg tourer
maybe they are due to be replaced as im at 47000 or something and im not sure if they have ever been replaced.
should i get the rear bearings while im at it too?

Megane R26, R21 Turbo
maybe they are due to be replaced as im at 47000 or something and im not sure if they have ever been replaced.
should i get the rear bearings while im at it too?

rear discs are more expensive due to them having bearings but i have a guy locally who can remove the bearings and put them back with the new discs which he did for free which means you can save money buying rear discs without the bearings as finding some with bearings isnt that easy and its more expensive, if you have a local garage that does engine work or that sort of stuff give him a bell and enquire it'll cost you a few quid at most and you can save some money on the discs that way

b/g 182, meg tourer
ok, this loud rumble noise is still happening at faster speeds and harder breaking. doesn't make the noised city driving.
could it be a seized piston? my rear discs have darker areas towards the last 20mm of the outer edge.
anyone have any ideas?

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
checked the tyres for bulges along the wall?

ive had a rumble before after slightly curbing the tyre at about 10 mph.

Best get it to a garage for a looksie!

b/g 182, meg tourer
yeah no bulges mate. its got me confused. im thinking it must be something to do with the brakes tho. either a piston sticking or the pads/ discs need replacing, but they dont look to bad at all!

there is no noise until braking over 70mph, seems to be when the discs get hot????

Mercedes C320!
to check whether the disc is warped use a run out tool and that will tell you.... when you are braking do you get a vibration through the pedal...?

b/g 182, meg tourer
to check whether the disc is warped use a run out tool and that will tell you.... when you are braking do you get a vibration through the pedal...?

there doesn't seem to be much vibration on the pedal when it happens, but there is some.
i took the rear caliper apart today, the piston did not seem seized, the pads are fine, the discs are fine (for wear) but they look like they have patches on it that look like they have got too hot. i removed the excess lip that wearing creates on the disc, still seems to make the noise during a series of heavy braking

clio 480t ,172, clio mk2
if you have a seized piston it wont be intermitant it will stay seized every time you press the brakes i pritty sure that you dont have to change the bearing on the rears i have never come across this unless clio 182s are the only car to have this have you checked the discs for hair line cracks ?

b/g 182, meg tourer
if you have a seized piston it wont be intermitant it will stay seized every time you press the brakes i pritty sure that you dont have to change the bearing on the rears i have never come across this unless clio 182s are the only car to have this have you checked the discs for hair line cracks ?

no i haven't. will check it for cracks now. thanks for the help