ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Low comp turbo conversion

Clio 182 Track Spec
Hi All,
Can anyone enlighten me as to why ED conversion is some what cheaper than KTR’s conversion? It’s a genuine question, I’m looking at a conversion and my options. This is for my 182, DIY kit
ED-£2500
KTR-£4000
Am I missing something?
Cheers guys

monaco 172
Dunno really, it's probably much easier to setup and map on a standalone, also the gen90 is plug and play so no loom alterations are needed.

Id have thought the gen 90 would be a better option for future upgrades, I reckon the standard ECU with piggy would probably be a limitation on anything much more serious than 230bhp.

Clio 182 Track Spec
Dunno really, it's probably much easier to setup and map on a standalone, also the gen90 is plug and play so no loom alterations are needed.

Id have thought the gen 90 would be a better option for future upgrades, I reckon the standard ECU with piggy would probably be a limitation on anything much more serious than 230bhp.

Yes I totally agree on that. Thing is I know I will forge and go bigger, if not straight away then in the future so it’s something to think about. Just a massive price difference aint it really. Both great kits though and proven so I will have a think.
Cheers buddy

182 Turbo
ED's piggyback ECU is also a well known AEM unit, which many different mappers have experience with and can also do 280bhp+ (with the boost solenoid version of the AEM FIC) the gen90 is a full standalone but you'll probably find only ktec really know it, which puts you at the mercy of ktax (makes sense its their own brand) and probably the same story as the EFI boost module, you're limiting yourself to one place being really competent in mapping it

dan's cast offs.
no problem mapping the gen 90 and same with the boost module chris does.

if you're planning on forging in the future piggyback it straight away. saves messing round and gives you a better ecu to work with straight away.

182 Turbo
Id personally go a full standalone if you were considering going the fully forged route not a piggyback, they work by essentially interrupting signals from the sensors to the main ECU and because of that are more risky, usually fine but if you're spending out to forge, go full standalone

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
I would do neither personally but if you must go ED then when you do it and if you have a load of problems ( because turbo clio !) You won't have lost as much cash when you decide to sell it after about 6 months after it's done !

This is usually the route of turbo clio ownership on CS (Not always) but this is what normally happens.

monaco 172
I would do neither personally but if you must go ED then when you do it and if you have a load of problems ( because turbo clio !) You won't have lost as much cash when you decide to sell it after about 6 months after it's done !

This is usually the route of turbo clio ownership on CS (Not always) but this is what normally happens.
Are they really that unreliable? I've been looking for them on Ebay but there's 9nly ever the 1 black one with the stupid centre exhaust for sale.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Are they really that unreliable? I've been looking for them on Ebay but there's 9nly ever the 1 black one with the stupid centre exhaust for sale.

Not all no but most are imo, depends how far you want to go with the on going costs. You will be putting a turbo on an engine that unless you a very lucky will have had several owners /drivers and varing degrees of servicing and putting more stress on everything which, lets face it is probly not in great condition to start with as cars are so old and worth not that much theses days, looking after them is more than likely done on a budget.

Few people will say they have never had issues with theres and this may well be true , but its very strange that nearly everyone who has one never seems to keep it longer than 12months after it's been done from what I've read on here over the years!

Clio 182 Track Spec
I’m totally rebuilding mine, but was just wondering if I was missing something price wise. I will be building it myself so if it breaks it’s my own fault lol. I do agree, standard engines are built for 170-180 bhp so keeping things standard will only be a matter of time but I know there are 230+ ones out there still running standard clutch, internals etc. Guess it’s luck of the draw really when it comes to it. I just think if you’re going to do it and live with the fun or the drama haha. Cheers lads

Sheen90

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Turbo
Nice silver 172 ED Turbo on eBay also that’s been very reliable ?

182 Turbo

They're actually not unreliable at all, theres alot of longer term boosted clio owners on instagram, ive had mine 3 years now since i turbo'd it, not a single problem.
It's mostly regular cs.net users who end up selling on fast because of the constant fear mongering about how they are unreliable by people who've never owned one.

172 Turbo
No issues with mine either, mine is just always for sale as it doesn’t get used enough!

The ED cars are very good tbh.

Clio 182 Track Spec
They're actually not unreliable at all, theres alot of longer term boosted clio owners on instagram, ive had mine 3 years now since i turbo'd it, not a single problem.
It's mostly regular cs.net users who end up selling on fast because of the constant fear mongering about how they are unreliable by people who've never owned one.

What setup you running mate?

182 Turbo
No issues with mine either, mine is just always for sale as it doesn’t get used enough!

The ED cars are very good tbh.

I'm surprised yours hasn't sold yet mate, seems like every time i see a turbo Clio pop up on eBay it gets more watchers than any other Clio, and never seems to hang around long before being sold, there always seems to be alot of interest in a boosted Clio, especially when its an ED kitted one, plus yours having the LSD in it

172 Turbo
I'm surprised yours hasn't sold yet mate, seems like every time i see a turbo Clio pop up on eBay it gets more watchers than any other Clio, and never seems to hang around long before being sold, there always seems to be alot of interest in a boosted Clio, especially when its an ED kitted one, plus yours having the LSD in it

I only ever put it on eBay once, it's only been on here & Facebook.

Trouble is it’s a 5k car and 5k for a 2002 plate clio is a lot, but then I see people spending 3300 on their’s and they don’t have the supporting mods.

It might have to go up again soon as need to drop to one car, trouble is it's such an awesome spec I love it when I use it, even if that is very rarely!