ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lowering problem again.

MG ZR 1.8
Were now onto lowering mine but my Upper strut mount on the drivers side isn't shifting, it's just twisting. Even if you pull against it from the spring or shock absorber.

I have no idea if that makes any sense...
Sooo..... Any suggestions on how to release it?

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
large spark plug socket (most have an external hex top for a spanner) 6mm allen key down through the inside of the socket, hold the damper with the allen key and slacken with the spanner.

MG ZR 1.8
The left came off easy, and we lowered Adams car using the same technique only yesterday so it works. I don't understand why it's doing it because it worked the last 3 times! (both sides of Adams car and my left) lol
And yeah the bit under the bonnet! Thanks, I'm gonna Give it another go in the morning!

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
Also if anyone knows the name of "the bit under the bonnet" or a part number would be great, stephs is f**ked...

Strut top mount?! I assume the car is on the floor. I wrestled with mine for 40 mins and bent 2 allen keys before putting it on the floor and getting it done in 5 mins :eek:

From what I understand the shock absorber is sitting just on/behind the hub. This happened to me just take the drive shaft out, hub drops down twist and dip the shock absorber and its out :)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive done suspension on loads clios and on 2 of them one side wouldnt budge! one even with a buzz gun and we ended up resorting to an angle grinder on one of them lol

Artic Blue 182 FF
swan neck spanner a few allen keys u may snap one! and metal tube (big lever) and man the F up! if all else fails attack with an impact gun! Alway do this task with weight on wheels.

MG ZR 1.8
We need help! Both the top mounts are just spinning now so I can't even remove the one lowering spring I've fitted to drive to college!
Does anyone know what to do?... Seeing as the cars sitting on axel stands, there's no way I can just re fit the wheels to drive it to a garage either?

Artic Blue 182 FF
get it back on the ground so that the weight of the suspension s not hanging from the top nut. then hold the strut still with an allen key and use a socket like suggested to undo the nut. You have to keeo the strut still otherwise you wont be going anywhere at all.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I am so confused.

It's like you ask questions then just ignore the answers and ask another....

These bolts should ALWAYS be undone whilst the car is on the floor. ALWAYS.

If it's not coming undone, pop to a local garage in the car (put the wheels on the floor and drive there) and get them to buzz it off. The shock of the buzz gun should remove it.

If this fails, call someone with some idea what they're doing ;)

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
ive done suspension on loads clios and on 2 of them one side wouldnt budge! one even with a buzz gun and we ended up resorting to an angle grinder on one of them lol

That was a s**t day but we did produce some accurate angle grinding!

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
I don't understand why steph hasn't told you what's wrong... We don't have a swan neck spanner! That's the problem!

As for putting it on the floor... Due to stephs bad parking when we lower it, since it's on a slope... The car falls over, as we found out yesterday when it fell on my back!

MG ZR 1.8
Literally took brownyboy 5 minutes. Hahaha. Thank you so much.
This is a pic of the car literally as it was taken off the axels.

5ad75185-c3ea-68a6.jpg

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
Gonna give it a clean tomorrow and take more! And yeah cheap as chips, saving to get my 182 rb ff.. Mm aha doesn't bother me what brand/no brand they are so long as it doesn't break ;)

MG ZR 1.8
Nothing wrong with cheap-ish springs, some can be alright.

Looks not bad though, not bad at all. Have to get some decent pics.

If I rememberim gonna dash home and pick up the canon camera tomorrow, get some really nice pictures with that.

MG ZR 1.8
I think that'll be my next step, spacers would finish it off tbf so why not!
Have wanted them for ages but wanted to go lower first