ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lowering steering column

I have recently fitted some new seats and lowered my driving position which is great but now feels like the steering wheel is too high.

I know people like burpspeed and Chrispy have lowered thiers and understand the basic process involved thanks to their project logs however both of them did the process with the dash removed, is it possible to do it with the dash still in place?

182cup & 172 racecar
51276.jpg
51270.jpg
[/IMG]
51271.jpg

In case anyone was wondering, it is possible to do this with the dash in place. With the dash top and dials removed you can easily get to where the original bolts go in and go exactly what Tony has done before.

Process is simple

Remove steering column surround, dash top and clocks
Undo 4 bolts from underneath
Use 4 new bolts and screw in from the top.
add nuts to secure then use a nut either side of the steering column mount (I also used washers) to tighten up.
Make sure its all straight.

182cup & 172 racecar
Process is simple

Remove steering column surround, dash top and clocks
Undo 4 bolts from underneath
Use 4 new bolts and screw in from the top.
add nuts to secure then use a nut either side of the steering column mount (I also used washers) to tighten up.
Make sure its all straight.

I couldn't be bothered to explain it all again,well done.
I take it you managed aright then,is it better now?

Yes thanks Tony, cheers for the advice. Extra pair of hands was a god send so glad I attempted it when someone else was in to give me a hand.

Its lovely now though, well worth doing.

Clio mk2 ph2 1.2
Sorry for the bump new to this clio forum was wondering could someone explain how to remove the steering column from a mk2 ph2 clio as my steering wheel sits upside down when wheels are straight and have mot soon and with a upside down steering wheel am sure it would be a fail my last mechanic had the subframe off chancing clutch and gearbox and he put it back on without putting the steering the right way and I don't fancy letting him near my car again tbh so I figure easiest way would be removing the column spinning the bar so the steering wheel will go in the right way it would be great if someone could explain or give me a like to a guide and sorry again for jumping on here

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Sorry for the bump new to this clio forum was wondering could someone explain how to remove the steering column from a mk2 ph2 clio as my steering wheel sits upside down when wheels are straight and have mot soon and with a upside down steering wheel am sure it would be a fail my last mechanic had the subframe off chancing clutch and gearbox and he put it back on without putting the steering the right way and I don't fancy letting him near my car again tbh so I figure easiest way would be removing the column spinning the bar so the steering wheel will go in the right way it would be great if someone could explain or give me a like to a guide and sorry again for jumping on here
Id guess that removing the wheel and then refitting correctly would be the easiest.

Clio.
That won't work as the column and wheel have an alignment spline that won't allow this....you need to undo the rack to column universal joint and turn the steering wheel to the tight position.
Also need to remove and realign the airbag clock spring , otherwise there is the risk of damaging it and the airbag light can come on.

Original guide with pics here: http://www.cliosport.net/threads/burpspeed-from-the-beginning.296190/page-4#post-3763621

@daveski @Tony Hunter @Jay Payne Can any of you gents or anyone else advise roughly what length of bolts I'll need and what size? From memory they're M8 and the flanges arent thick so the OE bolts are quote short and tapped into the dash bracket, but this new way I need the standard length, room for a nylock and then whatever I need to space it down (40mm seems typical) so I assume something like a 70mm M8 set screw?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M3-4-5-6-...hash=item2a3795e5ea:m:mCAWgUROohO-H9u_jLun5iA

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M4-M5-M6-...hash=item33a8a3139a:m:mLMjVZ0-Ye4Z9p1mAv3SmIA

Last edited:
So having got the bits I gave this a go tonight but it won't sit comfortably as the column is too long once it's been dropped down. There doesn't appear to be a free sliding section on the column and only one in is bolted, hopefully slackening that will give me enough room. Did you guys encounter similar?

Clio 172 cup
Alistair, did you get this sorted? I'm thinking of doing this tomorrow morning. Did 70mm bolts work alright?
Thanks,

In the end I got these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190809206...49&var=490136985301&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
M8x70 self colour cap head bolts
And some repair washers (penny washers)
and then these:
http://www.gwr-fasteners.co.uk/m8-x-20mm-spacer---aluminium-unanodised-38390-p.asp
Wound out the OEM bolts which are fitted from below and then fitted the spacers and bolts with a penny washer either side of the column flange as it has quite a large oval hole in it. I didnt want to have to remove my dash top and also didnt fancy the method above with the nuts and all the bending forces in the threaded section of the bolt - far from ideal.
I found that I had to loosen the UJ onto the rack (leave the bolt in place!) and it was very tight to get the new column bolts into place but it did just go.

Clio 172 cup
Alistair, thanks for that. I'll give that a go! You managed this without removing the dash top? That would be a benefit as my cage makes removal of the dash a little trickier.

Clio 172 cup
Hi @alistairolsen ,
Had a quick look at this the other day and from what I could see, the column is mounted by two vertical bolts - the ones you mentioned and two horizontal bolts (one captive as per the picture). Is this the same as yours? My car is a 172 cup. From the horizontal bolts, there's limited adjustment, I reckon 10mm might be achievable but I see you've managed to fit 20mm spacers. I could elongate the slots for the horizontal bolts but this would only give an extra 1-2mm. I'd rather not do away with the horizontal mounts.
Have I got this totally arse about face?
20160305_120037[1].jpg
20160305_115936[1].jpg
20160305_115947[1].jpg

172 Cup
Sorry to bring up an old thread!

Had a crack at this today and cant for the life of me do it, the lower the rack goes (only talking 20mm) the bolts won't line up or the rack buckles on the bolts stopping it from going lower?

There's an arm connecting the front and rear rack mounts, do it need to disconnect that?

I have bent back the tabs mentioned above

Help!

Clio 172 cup
Yes I had to bend back the tabs mentioned above. It's a fiddly job. I think I got the lower bolts in first, loosely, then put the upper ones in. I could take a pic of my one if you like but it'll probably be Wednesday before I'm back at the car.

172 Cup
Yes I had to bend back the tabs mentioned above....
Thanks for the the reply buddy, I've done some more poking around on here and think I've decided on widening the holes(don't know why I didn't do that anyway!)

Thanks for your help buddy

Megane R26
Revival.
Had a go at this earlier but got stuck.
The 2 front and 2 rear bolts are located and accessible but can't move it down more than 1 cm or so. It's caught on the front, see pics, left & right side.

Can someone please advise what part to bent so I can have more adjustment please?
mrjiug8f.jpg
st7u5l2g.jpg

I had the same, pretty sure I levered it out far enough to get it over the end of the stud. JUst check what its catching on little by little until you get it down far enough.