ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

? LPG Conversion on a 172 ?

clio sport 172
my question is , dose any one know if the engin can handel it and are 172 able to be converted to lpg to save on money , a all so where would the reducer go in the engin bay as there is no room for one LOL , one of them things that pondering on the mind when can get a kit for 200.00 , and jsut fitted one to a bilngo , just to save a little money , any response would be cool . oh its prob a wastof time and will lose performance when on lpg , i know that all ready ,

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
you can do it on a 172, someone on here had a liquid yellow 182 that was converted.

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
Don't see why it couldnt be done really, but you'd have no boot and is the difference in price really worth it?

Nissan 350z
^ Addz on a 172 you merely loose the spare wheel well :p

It can be done, but i dont think its cost efficient. The 172s already have a very good MPG for a 2L petrol car to begin with. LPG is only effective on thirsty bigger petrol engined cars really.

My car is on LPG. it knocks your MPG by about 10-15% and i lost 5% power. If you do go for it make sure its a proper multi point injection kit by BRC or Prins. Though it looks like you want to do it on the cheap. I doubt a £200 kit would be any good - it's got to be a single point for that amount of money which means you'd lose out even more on economy and power. I'd say its worth it if you get a proper kit and plan to keep the car for a few years and you do 10k+ miles per year.

AGH the sl*g
£200 quid sounds dodgy to me, a reputable place will charge at leat £1200-1500 for a decent kit

Fiesta ST3
if you can get a kit for 200.00 and fit it your self then id say go for it. you would recoup the cash back very quickly

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
lol! The 172 does over 30mpg!!! And the conversion would cost about as much as the car...

clio sport 172
The kit I have just fitted. To a mate bilngo is called a stag 4. With magic jets , But if I went for it where would I put the gas regulator. Under the bonet

S4 Avant
There's a lot of b****cks in this thread, and I can't understand the original post but...
A decent LPG system will cost you 4 figures, at least. It will take a few years to recoup the money that you would have spent in petrol. But LPG is dirt cheap in comparison to petrol. I used to get 300 miles out of £20 in my old fiesta.

So basically, if you plan on keeping the car for many years, go for it, you'll save money. If not, buy a car that has already been converted. Much more sensible to do the latter.

ValverInBits
I totally agree with fitting LPG, excellent idea IMO. But if you are going to do it, you need good components and a good conversion to do it well. No point in getting a sh1t setup.

Aa said before it may be cheaper to buy a car with it already done.
Don't you have to declare it to your insurance ?
And knowing what insurance companies are like it would probably go up as the car is running on gas :(

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
Aa said before it may be cheaper to buy a car with it already done.
Don't you have to declare it to your insurance ?
And knowing what insurance companies are like it would probably go up as the car is running on gas :(

My Zafira has an LPG conversion and aslong as it was installed with the certificate they didn't charge any extra.....

My Zafira has an LPG conversion and aslong as it was installed with the certificate they didn't charge any extra.....

Same for me with churchill this year. I think the general consensus is they wont charge you any extra if you have the lpga certificate, but if you don't have one a lot of companies won't cover you at all. Obviously installing the kit yourself means you wont have the certificate..

Italian 3.2 V6
Wouldn't bother with a 1*2. As said it does good MPG as standard. I'm currently on 41.5 mpg :) or even get it mapped to get even better MPG ;) lol.

But if ur serious. Get it done properly (££££). Speak with Hutchie off of here as he does the LPG convertion.

PSJ.