ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lumpy Idle?

Renaultsport Clio 172
172 Cup - runs very well. Cambelt done under 2 years ago so not due.

Idle becomes lumpy maybe a minute after cold start.

I know they are fairly lumpy but what diagnostic procedure should I follow rather than firing a parts cannon at it? 😁 Its no biggie as it drives superb but wouldnt mind getting it sorted

Cheers

Renaultsport Clio 172
Its not cutting out or anything just “surges” a bit on idle. I can’t recall from my old one whether its normal or not!

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Mine was worse when the timing was one tooth out, but then it would struggle on pick up so if driveability is generally fine then its likely to just be the way it is, i sometimes think mine is about to stall or throw a code when I am at lights but it never does, its a little disconcerting though.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Have the injectors been done in the last few years? My 182 was the same, a bit lumpier than I'd expected, found 1 bosch injector and 3 originals, replaced all 4 with brand new magneti marelli and was far smoother.

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
My cup is exactly the same and always has been, nothing wrong with mine. Think it's just very poor mapping

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Mine did this for a long time and it was the pre cat lambda sensor, eventually it got bad enough to throw an EML.

It only happened after a minute or two of running, I believe the ecu ignores the lambda sensor during warmup hence the delay. Later I had a duff injector which also gradually failed, went from lumpy and rich to full on missfire after a while which again made diagnosis easy.

Renaultsport Clio 172
Considered changing injectors but conscious of not throwing the parts cannon at it to be honest! Are OBD diagnostics easily available to pinpont any issues?