ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mac Mini as a home theatre

Any opinions or experiences? Do they get noisy when playing 1080p video? There's something deeply cool about the thought of connecting up to my rather large television, and essentially having a massive Mac in my lounge. Wireless keyboard and Magic Trackpad on the coffee table. Win?

Any negatives?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Always wanted to do this tbh, instead I have rubbish tower connected to a massive tv:dapprove:

That's what I had. Mine was a few years old but still handled everything faultlessly.

But in the end I sold it as I just didn't use it.

How do you have your media stored? As that's what I found the most annoying. Having to transfer files to the ExtHD that was attached to it. If everything is on your network then it would be easier.

Internet on the tv seems like a good idea. But in reality, I never used it. Much easier/quicker to use my MBP/iPad.

Plex server on a Mac and ATV is a better solution for me.

Clio 182, Astra Sri
I have my laptop connected with audio and monitor cables to my tv, and use hippo remote from my iPhone

Use it everyday faultlessly

Intact I can't remember the last time I used my laptop on my lap lol

My media is almost entirely non-physical. I attach my HDDs directly to my TV at the moment. Or I can stream to it. I also have a WDTV Live thing, but since getting this TV it's redundant. It also has a web browser, but I have to use the iPad for a QWERTY keyboard, and it's all just a bit gay.

Just kinda fancy it. It's not necessary. It's an extravagance. My main worry is noise.

Clio 182, Astra Sri
What tv is it? I had a wdtv as it could read every fornat I threw at it but I just couldn't work out how to stream hd to it, the new one looks good though

Yet to find a tv that can read most formats though without any help from said devices

Inferno 182 CUP
I have a 2011 Mac Mini with the OS on a 64Gb SSD.

All media is on an external and it beams my content (music,video,photo) around the house via plex or AirPlay to my IOS devices etc.

Plex is fantastic as it allows me to watch my content anywhere in the world this way.

What tv is it? I had a wdtv as it could read every fornat I threw at it but I just couldn't work out how to stream hd to it, the new one looks good though

Yet to find a tv that can read most formats though without any help from said devices

It's a Samsung UE55D8000.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
An ATV and mountain lion equipped macbook would make a mini fairly redundant.

I've considered ATV but discounted it. Just seems too restrictive, and I don't always want to stream. ATV has no USB, and no internal storage. For me it seems a better idea to go all the way, and have a fully functioning computer.

I'm not saying ATV is rubbish. I'm sure it's really good, but it's not for me.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Does anyone know if the Apple remote will control VLC?

Yeah it can.

I've considered ATV but discounted it. Just seems too restrictive, and I don't always want to stream. ATV has no USB, and no internal storage. For me it seems a better idea to go all the way, and have a fully functioning computer.

I'm not saying ATV is rubbish. I'm sure it's really good, but it's not for me.

No OK, but for me anything other than viewing video on a TV is a terrible experience. The ATV is very much a companion device to enable a TV to be used easily with a Mac or iOS device. A mini just seems like massive overkill.

Z4
I've got a mini connected to my Panasonic plasma and it's a good bit of kit!
Crashes far less than my girlfriends/mates MacBook pros too.

Noise isn't an issue, same as any other mac I've used.

Whats the tv like? Im thinking about getting the 7000 in 55 if it's worth the dollar?

The D8000 is a great telly. Brilliant motion handling and deep blacks. Backlight uniformity isn't perfect in a pitch back room. That's pretty much the only negative IMO.

It really needs calibrating though, as the out-of-the-box modes are not the best. Oh and the remote control response can sometimes be a bit sluggish when navigating a big hard drive.

Z4
Tbh I couldn't care less about all the features; 3d/smart tv etc, literally just want an amazing 2d picture both sd and hd.
The 55 inch 7000/8000 do look look the part with the slim bezel.

If I can get the same picture or better on a Panasonic plasma though I'll be tempted to stick with that.

Any questions on the mini just ask btw

Plasma will definitely give you a more uniform backdrop, but it comes with its own compromises. Retention, trails, buzzing, fans, power consumption.

Cheers, will do.

I intend to do this too - currently have a bodged together effort with a first gen mac mini and two external HDs. Plan is to get one of the new sexy bits of kit, transfer my iTunes library and rip any DVDs that I'm bothered about then get rid of any physical copies, run iTunes in full screen mode and don't install anything else.

Anyone any ideas if there are new minis on the horizon?

Inferno 182 CUP
I intend to do this too - currently have a bodged together effort with a first gen mac mini and two external HDs. Plan is to get one of the new sexy bits of kit, transfer my iTunes library and rip any DVDs that I'm bothered about then get rid of any physical copies, run iTunes in full screen mode and don't install anything else.

Anyone any ideas if there are new minis on the horizon?

Ain't that simple.

You can't rip movies into an iTunes compatible format. You would need to rip and convert.

Or rip and use plex as that reads all formats and looks better.

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
Use mine as a home theatre, can't fault it, plus it doesn't make any noise that I can hear. Love it.

I can't shake this idea. My new NAS has a media server installed, and my TV is DLNA compliant, so I can now stream everything directly to the TV with no laptops, media players, or other computers involved. It works really well, but there is some limited functionality, and I just want a computer attached to my TV that sees the NAS as a network drive.

Also, I want this on my coffee table/lap. Add an Apple remote and I reckon I'm winning;

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H3443ZM/A/twelve-south-magicwand

Roy - few things to consider mate as I have a new style mac mini and that same keyboard/pad/magicwand setup in my home office

The batteries don't particularly last a long time - so you'll need to keep some recharged ones on stand by
Also you can't "click" the magic pad at all unless it's on a hard surface - so coffee table would be fine but on your knee would drive you mad. It bugs me because I have a sofa in my office and planned to sit on that with the keyboard on my knee when my back started hurting on the chair - but you can't click the damn thing lol

That being said though - it's a superb solution if you ever fancy a bit of browsing on your tv. The new mac mini's can connect with hdmi which means all your audio and video in one connection. The older mac mini's if you get a 2nd hand one you might have to run a vga and headphone cable - but that will only give you stereo sound

What I have is a mac mini in my office, iTunes library is on a NAS drive next to the router in a spare room. I rip all DVD's and downloads into mp4 format and add to iTunes.
Then I have an ATV on my TV downstairs.

I'm moving to a new house in a few weeks with a living room and a games room - so will put an ATV in both rooms.

The ATV is actually quite good since it got upgraded - you've got youtube, vimeo, netflix, etc.. etc.. on there now - might be worth a look if you're bothered about noise - though I used my mac mini in the living room for 6 months and the fans never kicked in once :)

Roy - few things to consider mate as I have a new style mac mini and that same keyboard/pad/magicwand setup in my home office

The batteries don't particularly last a long time - so you'll need to keep some recharged ones on stand by
Also you can't "click" the magic pad at all unless it's on a hard surface - so coffee table would be fine but on your knee would drive you mad. It bugs me because I have a sofa in my office and planned to sit on that with the keyboard on my knee when my back started hurting on the chair - but you can't click the damn thing lol

That being said though - it's a superb solution if you ever fancy a bit of browsing on your tv. The new mac mini's can connect with hdmi which means all your audio and video in one connection. The older mac mini's if you get a 2nd hand one you might have to run a vga and headphone cable - but that will only give you stereo sound

What I have is a mac mini in my office, iTunes library is on a NAS drive next to the router in a spare room. I rip all DVD's and downloads into mp4 format and add to iTunes.
Then I have an ATV on my TV downstairs.

I'm moving to a new house in a few weeks with a living room and a games room - so will put an ATV in both rooms.

The ATV is actually quite good since it got upgraded - you've got youtube, vimeo, netflix, etc.. etc.. on there now - might be worth a look if you're bothered about noise - though I used my mac mini in the living room for 6 months and the fans never kicked in once :)

OK thanks for the info. I don't click anyway. I tap, so that won't be an issue

Yeah I'd be running HDMI straight through my amp. Easy peasy.

Not interested in ATV. Ruled it out ages ago TBH.