ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mac mini

Audi S1
Hi all,

Has anyone bought one?

http://www.apple.com/uk/mac-mini/

It looks like a serious piece of kit. Wondering whether they're worth the cash? I would use it to plug into my TV in my lounge/bedroom mostly for downloading/streaming. I'm thinking of going for the base model and then whacking an SSD myself. Been looking on YouTube and it looks easy, just a little fiddly where it's rather small.

Recently sold my iMac purely because I didn't use it enough, but that was £2,000 this is £500... So if I don't use it THAT much its not biggy.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
They all have the ability, but you'd need to bin the optical drive.

Mini's are weird devices, far too powerful for media servers and too expensive to be a desktop when you can get an iMac for not much more. (factor the screen, and accessories in)

Audi S1
The new Mac mini doesn't have an optical drive?

When you compare them to a desktop of a similar spec, I think they're pretty good value. But if I was to put an SSD inside, it would be handy to keep the 500GB HD for any storage.

I'm almost tempted to get my friend to get his girlfriend to bring one back from the US - £375. She done it with my iPad and avoided this tax that everyone talks about...

Rav4
First and foremost, it's not usual for Tom to admit his an "idiot".

I have the 2012 version, no optical drive. I went for the 2.3 quad.

Tom's description of it is relatively correct.

So far, so good, I added 16GB of RAM and a Samsung 830 256GB SSD, it will be used with my 30" ACD, which I will then sell for dual monitors, it will stream to the ATV's and also, to my plex clients (iPad, iPhones and other devices when I build them) I will also be using it for web work.

The server comes with dual 5400rpm disks (2011 models used to be 7200rpm) and OSX Server installed. You can save yourself a bit of money by buying the quad, buying the dual disk conversion kit and doing it yourself, or if you are lazy and or don't want to mess around + wish to have your warranty all in one place, get the server edition.

Any other specific questions you want to know?

Thanks,

G.

I've been meaning to buy one for ages. The ultimate home theatre when connected to a NAS and a decent TV/amp.

I will buy one when I am next back in shithole UK.

Rav4
I've been meaning to buy one for ages. The ultimate home theatre when connected to a NAS and a decent TV/amp.

I will buy one when I am next back in s**thole UK.

Media center will be what I will be using it for, when the new Mac Pro comes out, that will be the job for the MacMini.

Will you be using XMBC/Plex or something else?

(don't come back, the weather is sh1t and tubes are worse than when you left them !!)

Audi S1
First and foremost, it's not usual for Tom to admit his an "idiot".

I have the 2012 version, no optical drive. I went for the 2.3 quad.

Tom's description of it is relatively correct.

So far, so good, I added 16GB of RAM and a Samsung 830 256GB SSD, it will be used with my 30" ACD, which I will then sell for dual monitors, it will stream to the ATV's and also, to my plex clients (iPad, iPhones and other devices when I build them) I will also be using it for web work.

The server comes with dual 5400rpm disks (2011 models used to be 7200rpm) and OSX Server installed. You can save yourself a bit of money by buying the quad, buying the dual disk conversion kit and doing it yourself, or if you are lazy and or don't want to mess around + wish to have your warranty all in one place, get the server edition.

Any other specific questions you want to know?

Thanks,

G.

So would the base model need to dual disk conversion kit? Have you any idea where this can be purchased?

It's not essential that I have 2 HD's. I have a 1TB external HD anyway. But it would be better if I had storage inside the mini.

Rav4
So would the base model need to dual disk conversion kit? Have you any idea where this can be purchased?

It's not essential that I have 2 HD's. I have a 1TB external HD anyway. But it would be better if I had storage inside the mini.

Any model which is not the server model would require the dual disk conversion.

OWC do a kit and so do many other companies, they have a video of it too > http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIMM11D2/

Please note, this voids your warranty (apparently)

I think you might be better of with an external disk like you have / a nas or depending on volume and what you are backing up, backing up to the cloud.

Which ever model you choose, you will like, well I think you will do.

Thanks,

G