ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Macbook pro not booting up.. sbin/fsck -fy....help?!

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
Evening all..

I opened my mac up this evening and it'd run out of battery whilst on standby. Plugged in, turned on and thought nothing of it. Spinning wheel of doom appears, often does then goes away.. 15mins passed and its still spinning. I forced shutdown, restarted and was greeted with the usual bing-bong, grey apple logo and loading wheel. left it thinking for 20mins and nothing - worrying a bit! After some internet browsing later, i rebooted holding CMD-S and waited for it to load, typed in /sbin/fsck -fy and left it checking..

***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

repeated the fsck command, it checked and this time said The volume ..... appears to be ok

I rebooted again and after another 15mins of grey screen, forced shutdown and repeated the above only this time it said
If you want to make modifications to files:
/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw /

I ran fsck again, file system was modified, ran again and rebooted but still grey screen?

Is my mac HD knackered or is there a way to sort it? typically my applecare ran out in November and the stuff online is getting repetative/confusing!! any help/advise would be hugely appreciated!
(its a late '09 MBP 15". cant remember the rest of the details...)

Dom

Last edited:

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
i left it overnight 'thinking' and its fixed!!! this can be removed Mods..

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
I've read about that this morning and will attempt it this evening. Started it in safe mode ran disk utility and repaired permissions. Its still being temper-mental - left click crashes a program etc. I've managed to copy everything bar my music onto my External HD though so that's alright. will have another look tonight (at least I can use it rather than my iphone to search the internet for solutions though!!!)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Of course - the entire content of this thread is fictitious. The mere concept that a Mac can generate errors is both whimsical as it is pure fallacy.

However, the ghost of his Holiness Patriarch Jobs is not amused. Redemption upon the non-believers of the Bitten Fruit will be swift and painful. You have been warned.

D.