ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Macbooks

Z4
I've come to the conclusion my dell desktop is coming to the end of it's 5 year life and it's time to update and I've been looking at these macbook laptops.

Are they any good?

It's only really used for music, photos, internet.

To prevent it from getting all sluggish I'm getting an external hd to store everything.

Never owned a laptop, or a mac, so it's a little different hence the thread!

Are they recommended? I don't even know what spec etc to get lol, helpings.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I moved from PC to mac and never looked back.

I have filled up 180gb of my 250gb HDD and its still lightning quick. No need for an anti virus either which slows systems down alot!

My advice would be to go into the apple shop and play on one. There are the poly carb ones (white) and then there are the uni body ones (aliminium).

My unibody is a right little machine. I can see it lasting forever... Oh and 3 years apple care for £50. Awesome.

Tesla MP3 2021
I'm getting a MacBook Pro next week hopefully, I will still have my gaming rig but the Macbook will be used the most around the house and taking away with me.

I am going for a 15" 2.66GHz with a 500GB HDD :)

Z4
Well there's 3 pretty damn good reviews right there tbh.

Tempting!

I will have to go into a mac shop and find out some more.

What would people recommend me based on what I use it for?

I love that airbook purely for the design but that's a massive premium just for the style!

Z4
Oh that's another question, will I be able to connect it to my tv via a pci cable? And then still be able to use the laptop keyboard? Will the screen be on the laptop and the tv then?

Tesla MP3 2021
I moved from PC to mac and never looked back.

I have filled up 180gb of my 250gb HDD and its still lightning quick. No need for an anti virus either which slows systems down alot!

My advice would be to go into the apple shop and play on one. There are the poly carb ones (white) and then there are the uni body ones (aliminium).

My unibody is a right little machine. I can see it lasting forever... Oh and 3 years apple care for £50. Awesome.

How did you get 3 year apple care for £50?

Z4
So if I got my student girlfriend to sort that out I'd be laughing :D

Can anyone answer the pci cable question? Cheers.

Z4
I connect mine to my TV, get a little adapter with it, but I think it's VGA.

what's vga sorry :eek: I thought that was the audi,vw group haha.

Will the image then be displayed on both the laptop AND the tv then? And still be able to type etc on the laptop.

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
ive just ordered one last week.

Macbook Pro 13.3"
2.53ghz
4gb ram
320gb HDD :)

3 year apple care for £46
+ 15% off as i go to uni.

sorted :D

Citroen DS3 DSport
Buy a 13" MacBook Pro, they look every bit as good as the Air but are more practical. Take your girlfriend with you and be sure and have her student ID to get a 15% discount in the Apple Store. You'll also be eligible for the cheap Apple Care. You can buy it in your name, nothing has to be in your girlfriends name.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Macs FTMFW !

I have two. 20" iMac running a second 20" screen, and a 13" MacBook which is kept lean for when I'm at work on weekends / penthouse-sitting for my uncle / away for the weekend anywhere.

Having to use fookin XP at work makes me die a little inside every day at work :dapprove:

Keep an eye out for the refurb shop (bottom right side of the apple uk shop site) once you've figured out what you want. I bought both mine from there, and saved about 15/20% each.

You will not look back ! :approve:

Combo
I've never properly used a Mac before.

How easy is the transition from PC to Mac, operating wise.

I want to get one but I'm so used to all the PC shortcuts etc I'm a bit optimistic.

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
very easy transition mate

will take getting used too obviously but honestly you wont look back! i cant stand even using my dads PC when i need to print things out windows just feels slow and lethargic in comparison

6/468 17poo
Macbook all day long mate, had one around a year, and apparently they call my alloy one a pro now, i may buy a sticker to make it a rep ha!

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
Just got a MBP 13 and it's awesome

My company laptop won't be coming out of the bag unless i'm in work.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I've never properly used a Mac before.

How easy is the transition from PC to Mac, operating wise.

I want to get one but I'm so used to all the PC shortcuts etc I'm a bit optimistic.

Go play with them in the Apple store in Bluewater one evening ;)

Or speak to me nicely.. I'll bring mine to the pub, text Robbos, he can buy me that beer and everyone's a winner :cool:

Ph1.2 / VW Polo
i just bought a macbook, first one.
absolutly love it.
its so user friendly and smooth.

and feels reliable. windows i was always just waiting for something to go wrong.
mac is always really stable.

got mine from pc world, got 6months to pay it off and theres only a £25 fee on top thats it.

RB 182
I think I've changed my mind to mini mac now!

Why the Mac Mini? So nice being able to take your laptop out and about with you so you can use it where ever you want.

Bought a MBP a few months back and it's great, had a Power Mac before that and still have my PC for gaming.

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
Yeah I'd love a mac mini for the house but i'd never take one over a macbook.

Surprisingly easy to get used to OSX after windows.

Can't give the company laptop back unfortunately there's allsorts on there i need :(

Z4
Why the Mac Mini? So nice being able to take your laptop out and about with you so you can use it where ever you want.

Bought a MBP a few months back and it's great, had a Power Mac before that and still have my PC for gaming.

The only reason I was going for the macbook was purely for the fact I didn't want the desktop macs as they're built into the screen!

Discovered the mini and it's perfect. 95% of the time I'd have the macbook linked upto my plasma anyway so I may aswel get the mini, and save myself £700 with a slightly bigger hard drive :)

Clio mk3 1.2 Extreme
Yeah get a mac mini thats what i've got. PLug in a external hardrive but use firewire not usb 2.0 so much faster tranfer. Once you've got it all set up there's loads of software to download thats free loads of cool stuff. Check out:

http://www.plexapp.com/

Turns your mac mini in to a multi media centre check it out amazing stuff

Z4
Yeah get a mac mini thats what i've got. PLug in a external hardrive but use firewire not usb 2.0 so much faster tranfer. Once you've got it all set up there's loads of software to download thats free loads of cool stuff. Check out:

http://www.plexapp.com/

Turns your mac mini in to a multi media centre check it out amazing stuff

I think I am mate :)

I assume things like torrents are still ok to use on macs? I don't want to pay for all my downloads, lol!

Clio mk3 1.2 Extreme
Yeah i use torrents all the time. I use "vuse" best one out there. But if its plugged in to your TV check out plex best software im using on my mac plus its free. Also if you look around you can get MS office on your mac that works fine as a torrent :)

E63, 172 track toy
^^ or not worry about piracy and download openoffice...

I have just moved over to a mac in the last 6mo. in my experience, most people who use a pc for surfing the net and printing things find it very easy to move.

from a more technical side, i often find myself using command prompt or wanting to change things in control panel, say ethernet settings for instance, its taken a bit of gettin used to as some things are hard to find cause apple have made it all "really easy".

BUT when you get into it, having used linux a fair bit there is nothing you cant do in terminal..

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
^^ or not worry about piracy and download openoffice...

I have just moved over to a mac in the last 6mo. in my experience, most people who use a pc for surfing the net and printing things find it very easy to move.

from a more technical side, i often find myself using command prompt or wanting to change things in control panel, say ethernet settings for instance, its taken a bit of gettin used to as some things are hard to find cause apple have made it all "really easy".

BUT when you get into it, having used linux a fair bit there is nothing you cant do in terminal..

I 100% agree with that point. It took me about 20 mins to work out how to delete a programme... With windows its a f**k about... Never thought all you had to do is drop it in the recycle bin on mac LOL

Lou

ClioSport Club Member
I'm going to look at MacBooks today when I'm at the Apple shop - whats best? Just the MacBook or MacBook Pro?

Clio mk3 1.2 Extreme
I'm going to look at MacBooks today when I'm at the Apple shop - whats best? Just the MacBook or MacBook Pro?

Depends what your going to be using it for. If your just going to be using it for everyday stuff internet., mail, itunes etc... Macbook will be fine easily

Ph1.2 / VW Polo
macbook pro is aimed at the creative industry.
so professional music recording or graphic design work.

but if you do these things just as a hobby the macbook will cope fine.

i just bought a macbook and been recording some tracks on it.