ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Macro Lens for an Olympus?

Clio 172 Mk2
Bought my Olympus E-510 last week, and despite the tough desicion to get this over a Nikon D60 and a Canon 400D, Im absolutely delighted!

Ive got the twin lens kit, which as far as kit lens go is pretty decent, but I now want a good lens for doing some macro work and portraits. Any recommendations?

This is where you wonder why you went olympus :rasp:

Seems the 50mm F2 is the only one I can see: http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod552.html

Going to now retract my 1st statement, F2 and macro seems like a unique combination that Canon/Nikon don't have AFAIK..

Aside from that one, look at the Sigma 70+105 and Tamron 90 if they are available on the Olympus mount...

Clio 172 Mk2
This is where you wonder why you went olympus :rasp:

I knew beforehand that there are limitations of the 4/3 system that Olympus use (less variety and more expensive lenses, slightly lower dynamic range, more difficult to get shallow DOF, more noise at high ISO).

But after comparing with the Nikon D60 and Canon 400D, it felt `right` in my hands. Yes, its poorer in some respects than the aforementioned cameras, but once you work around that it delivers some cracking pics. The kit lenses are excellent, live view comes in handy, and actually, the lens variety is now much better. And I got the twin lens kit for £400!

Done a bit of research on the 50mm f2 lens you mention, and it seems fantastic! And judging by the reviews HERE it seems perfect for macro and portrait needs.

Last edited:
Thats a lot of lens/camera for the money!

Right I've just had a look but only so much I can find whilst at work, be careful to check and see if the 50 f/2 is true life size 1:1 macro...

I'm no macro expert, so a little confused with this lol, think its not true macro, hopefully someone else can shed some light.
It offers a magnification of 1:2 (half life size), which has an image magnification size equivalent to life size (1:1) in a 35mm film photo.

Last edited: