ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Major Electrical Problem!!!!!!!!!!

Ford Focus ST
I installed a sub with an amp, with a new head unit into my Clio 172 cup yesterday. All wires correctly fitted, car was running perfectly fine, started and stopped it twice no problems about 45mins of driving. Driving along and the indicators stopped working then the wipers stopped working.

Pulled over to check if the sub cable that was connected to the battery could have been draining the battery, turned to car off to take the cable off the battery. Then tried to start the car again and nothing, some of the electric's worked electric side mirrors headlights. No interior lights, boot is locked and can't open, no central locking.

I tried jump starting it nothing happend. Then had the RAC come to try and sort it out still nothing tried new battery tried all the fueses all working. Tried to see if there was a groundin problem.

I think that it could be my alternator as that side of the engine bay was always making a slight tapping/whining noise since i bought it, and was alot louder yesterday when i opened the hood.

I have no clue as what is wrong have taken it to renault today, hopefully they could sort somethng out. If anybody has any ideas it would be much appreciated???

Iceberg Ph1
Hi there.. by the sounds of it and as far as I know, when the battery is loosing charge it does tend to shut systems down one by one, but you say you used a new battery and still nothing, which is odd, because there should be enough juice in the battery to atleast give you power to start the car without a problem.. The whining noise is very typical of an alternator that is on its way out, best thing you could of tried is to use a voltmeter to connect to the + and - of the battery terminals (if you can get the car started that is) and see what volts its kicking out, a normal battery with the engine not running will sit around 11.8 - 12v.. With the engine running and the alternator working correctly it should be running about 14v.. I know this don't really help as you have taken it to a dealer to have a look, but maybe this can help in future to diagnose it yourself

Good luck with the car mate!

Ford Focus ST
Had renault look at it, proved to be just a fuse. One little fuse and the whole car just shuts down completely just brilliant lol.