ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Making my RS200 + cup a trackday car

Clio 197
Hello guys,

I was wondering which mods are highly recommendable (parts, brands, models, price ) for trackday use.

I'm already going to fit the following:

- Akrapovic exhaust
- Semi-slicks ( such as Toyo R888 / yokohama Advan / other?? )

What about suspension mods, brakes, ... ?

But please be aware of the price too, I'm not going to spend thousands of pounds on brakes for a car that costs 17000 € :D Budgetmods are cool :rasp:

Any experencies, advice is appreciated !

P.S. Is chiptuning recommended when tracking? I know a guy that gained +20 hp with a chiptuning.

Not driven one but I'm guessing the 200 is good enough out the box. Be better looking at driver training.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
20bhp from a chip? I think your friend was telling porkies.

It's already a good track car. I'd leave it as it is.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Reanult spent millions to make it as good as it is. You spend and extra couple of thousand on your own mods isn't going to make it much if any better.

Lotus Elise
Upgrade the pads to something more meaty and with a higher operating temperature than go have fun. You wont see 20bhp with a chip, Oh and driver training.

Clio 197
Thanks for the response guys.

So I'm exagerating a bit too much with my mods...

It's just because I already had a 197 (stock) and I had warped discs after one trackday.
So I was guessing there were some thing to be upgraded for track use.

When changing the pads, what do you have in mind? Do I need to change my brake oil too then? And what about the "pipes" for the oil. Do I need to change these too?

Any advice on the tyres? For road use I love the ContiSport3, but what about track use. Some say the r888, others recommend the Advans because they're less radical and cheaper.

About the chip: I have a video of the car in fact...

If you guys wish, I can upload it somewhere :approve: It's not that obvious, but it's a sprint video from 0-60 with wheelspin in 3rd on dry tarmac.

Lotus Elise
Id just change the pads and see how you get on. Brake fluid and braided lines may be useful. As for tyres if budget is no problem than go R888 if you want to save some money than go for Federal 525 RSR track tyre.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Better pads, remove fogs & arch liners.

Spend money on track day. Drive car all day, change parts that break/need modifying.

Otherwise u are changing parts for the sake of changing them, like 95% of people on here.

The 1*2 is epic on track as standard, i would imagine the 200 is the same!!!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Possibly some decent (i mean H&R/KW) coilovers if the purse strings allow.

320d
I'd just chuck some uprated pads on then try it on track as it is. If you feel then that you want to change something else then take it from there. No point in doing loads of stuff that you may not want/need.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My 200 is one of the best cars i've driven on track. 100% standard.

Clio 197
Thanks guys for putting me back with my both feet on the ground :D

Maybe it's the right then to wait and see.

Excuse for my dumb question, but what are 'fogs & arch liners' ? I'm not from the UK, but I guess you already noticed that ...

Better pads, remove fogs & arch liners.

Spend money on track day. Drive car all day, change parts that break/need modifying.

Otherwise u are changing parts for the sake of changing them, like 95% of people on here.

The 1*2 is epic on track as standard, i would imagine the 200 is the same!!!

Exactly how my bean was. Standard. CL pads for the track. No liners or fogs. Done.

L&Fs were ripped out in the paddock, ghetto style.

GW 200 Gone :( BG182
Thanks guys for putting me back with my both feet on the ground :D

Maybe it's the right then to wait and see.

Excuse for my dumb question, but what are 'fogs & arch liners' ? I'm not from the UK, but I guess you already noticed that ...

Fog lights and the plastic trim around your wheel arches :)

182cup & 172 racecar
By taking the fog lights out you will get some air to the brakes,but the car is brilliant in standard trim as Daniel says.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
It's just because I already had a 197 (stock) and I had warped discs after one trackday.

Learn to drive ;)
I did 7 trackdays in the yr I had my 197, inc Donington GP twice & Mallory both circuits are known as hard on brakes.
No warped discs here?
Federal RSR's are good, R888 spoil the fun & playfull nature of the car.

Clio 197
If you are warping discs then try standard pads with a grooved bell & rotor setup. Part of the problem with uprated pads but standard discs is that you increase the temperature potentially beyond the optimum for the discs. Personally I wouldn't bother with braided hoses or posh brake fluid.

Oh, and I found that my car wiggled around a lot more on the CS3's than on R888's, which was potentially more fun, but I struggled to brake as hard without the ABS kicking in. It was a much colder day when using the CS3's though.

Golf GTD Mk7
if you're getting warped discs then you need to learn a bit more about brake management mate. You shouldn't have an issue really.

Saying that, it might not be warped discs? it could be the pads letting go when they get too warm? I get this issues with my ds2500s after about 5-10 hard laps. No fade as such, but quite a bit of vibration, and the brakes don't feel as good.

200 with booost
Redline Magazine fitted a Quaiffe LSD to a 200 and got 4 secs per lap, I'd say thats worth the money any day.

Clio 197
About my warped discs...

I did not buy the car new. So I do not know how it had been driven before me.

Fact is that on my first trackday, I always braked hard en short, but at the end of the day I had slightly warped discs, which could be straightened afterwards.

When removing the fog lights, and the plastics in the wheel arches, is there anything I should be aware of concerning water (rain) and stuff.

200 with booost
Any idea about the costs on that change :rasp: Is it this one? http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=3676&appid=3

My guess was that a LSD is not that neccesary because the 200 isn't a car with tons of torque. I'm I wrong?

Thats the one, Ktec will supply and fit one all in for about £1200, which although quite a bit of dosh is prob t: he best value mod money can buy. you could spend between £600 - £1000 on a new exhaust and not even notice the difference.

The feature was in this edition: http://www.redlinemag.com/2011/02/15/subscribe-today/ you cant read it online but it has the graphic in the top corner, overall they commented that grip was vastly improved by allow power to be laid down much much earlier