ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Making OMEX 600 map richer

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Are there any simplish adjustments that can be made within the ECU calibration to richen the AFR? Have my car running nicely on a map, revs cleanly with no hesitation or splutters but I'm not quite happy with the colour of the plugs and think it could do with a little more fuel throughout the rev range. Any ideas?

Will get it properly mapped at some point but cannot justify the expense of taking the car over to the UK to get it mapped at the moment.

Cheers

Mike

Cup In bits
I know very little about this side of things but can you not send a datalog via the web? I know someone that used to do it between races, its not the best way but a good setup can be had with a bit of to and fro.

If u have not checked the afr and your are just going off the plugS I would not even drive the car tbh , it's easy to make it richer but buy ur self a wideband afr gauge so at least u have a idea of what's going on

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
The map came on the ECU and was mapped for a standard engine like i have so i would not say that it was dangerous to drive. If it was running dangerously lean the plugs would be grey but they are not, im just not getting the coffee brown colour you would expect to see. I will more than likely get an AFR gauge but as long as i only increase the fuel by small amounts each time i will be able to see the difference in the colour of the plugs, before AFR gauges existed this is how most people checked there fueling.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
is it running a lambda sensor? you can see in the software how much it's adjusting at specific load points. Usually has a 20% limit on adjustment, but you can see what it's doing +/- in the lambda controlled areas.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
It runs a narrow band at the moment, am I right in saying that the lambda sensor has no effect at WOT?

The map on it is good, runs really nicely and was done by someone who maps BTTC engines, but I think my motor is just a bit fresher and has a better flowing exhaust than the car it was mapped on. So is running slightly leaner than your would like ideally, just want to tweak the fuelling ever so slightly so it's safe to run WOT until I can get it mapped professionally.

Oh wait is that running my map? LOL

Yeah it was rolling road tuned for the maximum power from my engine - so their wont be much tolerance in it for differing engines.
It only runs lambda control at under 2.5k ish - anything above that and it's on the map.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Yep it's the map you sent me Phil, runs spot on, so much better than the one I had before. It might be fine but I'd expect to see some sort of colour on the plugs but there is pretty much nothing, but also no greyness that would indicate full on lean running. Will have to get myself an AFR gauge and go from there. Can I just ditch the narrow band for now and unplug it or do I need to get a second lambda boss welded in?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Stop banging on about plug colours mate, its such an inaccurate way of learning about an engine unless you hold it on one load site of ages then switch off instantly.

Buy a wideband, or take it for mapping somewhere.

The adjustments are VERY easy to make on the software, but knowing what adjustments to make requires at least some equipment for monitoring AFRs and ideally a bit of experience too.

Aye what chip said. The colour of my plugs is nearly always a very light brown but it only tells you the state of the fuel mix at the point you turned the engine off - and even then no very accurately.

I'd get a second bung welded into the exhaust and a wideband with a display in the car - because of how far you are away from anyone who does mapping at least you can keep an eye on the AFR on the road. You can drive holding the car at certain load areas by holding revs using the brake and get a good idea of how well its mapped.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Ok guys thanks for the advice, will get an AFR guage. Should I be aiming for around the 14 mark?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Depends at what RPM and what load.

For peak performance on these engines I tend to find them happiest at around 13:1, and I typically aim just under that to give a margin of safety, so around 12.8 or so.