ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MarkCup's Fiesta ST

RB182cup&golf gti
The only thing I miss is xenons, other than that it's got everything.

I've just done 130 motorway miles with the cruise at 70 and its showing 44.7 mpg. Can't ask for much more than that.

Xenons and a better quality ride and it would be perfect for me.

Agree with you on the ride. So bumpy at everyday speeds. That said I majorly miss mine. I had the ST 2 with sat nav and mountune, just wasn't practical enough for lugging a new baby around in so swapped it at a year old for a focus ecoboost as mine was on a pcp with ford. I loved the colour, the stance, the seats and the performance. Sounded great with the mp215 too. I now have a mk7 golf gti which I love and ticks all the boxes. Still miss the ST though.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I'm probably going to get a MK7 R when mine goes back. Loved my MK5 R and the 7 sounds brilliant from pretty much everything I've read.

RB182cup&golf gti
I love them, obviously as I own one. Gti enough for me and my needs. See tonnes of R's on the road near me, more often than not in the nice blue. Been taking it steady in mine as not reached 1k miles yet but it's got some grunt, third gear is very strong but not really exceeded 4K revs yet.

Need MarkCup to post a proper review to get this thread back on topic lol

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
They've really grown on me tbh. Silver on prets. Stunning.

Silver ST? As in body colour?

Need MarkCup to post a proper review to get this thread back on topic lol

Today, taking advantage of the warm and dry weather, I whipped the front bumper off again, got it up on stands, and fitted the charge pipe kit...well, all except two short 8-10 cm pieces that require major disassembly at the front to get access, one is the branch off that feeds the sound symposer...so I've left them for another day of fiddling. I got the two large pipes in and out of the new intercooler done, along with the multi-piece section that joins to the turbo.

So with all that done, and aside from the two pipe pieces left over, MR230 is complete. How does it feel?

Now, bare in mind that for four or five years I've not driven nor been in a car with any kind of sports exhaust so I think I'm swayed by the sound of the thing now (which is deep, soft edged, purposeful...no real bark under load nor any pops or burbles on the overrun yet) but in a few words it feels f**king brutal. In more words than that;

I was expecting it to feel faster by quite a bit, the Mountune graphs suggested so and they're generally spot on, and it certainly does, buit it does that in a way that feels completely different to how it did before.

I'm struggling to describe it...think of MP215, they feel like a faster version of a standard car. Same engine, more wallop low down, more urgency high up...noticeable, but same car, same engine.

It must be the cam timing change, it doesn't just feel like a faster version of what I had before like the MP215 pack did. It feels like a much faster version of what I had before (which was MP215) but feels like it now does that with a different engine. There's a tiny tiny bit more lag, and I mean tiny, but when it's boosting, EVERYTHING feels different, where it starts and how it builds. The throttle response on boost is so sharp now which is good seeing as, in the damp at least, it easily and routinely looses traction in fourth gear at any speed.

Am I happy? Obviously. Sounds expensive, the MR230 kit, but I think the cam timing USP makes it worth every penny.

I logged a whole load of data when I went for a blast earlier. I'm going to go pick it apart...MP215 boost max was 1.44 bar. MP215 with intercooler and induction hose was 1.46 bar. I expect more boost but haven't heard any mention of an increase yet.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry, a silver R.

And regardless of how fast it actually as is now compared to before/other cars etc it sounds like you are more than made up with it so that's all that matters. As said I think my standard one feels pretty brisk so I have no problem in believing your review of the 230.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Sounds awesome! I can't believe how good they are the 215 kit. Transformed the pull from the car!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
OK, I've now picked through the data, here's a few of things I've found;

1. I didn't do any full throttle runs in 1st gear (zero traction) but managed a few in 2nd while struggling for traction. Boost wise, MP215 used to limit 2nd gear boost to 1.23 bar/17.8 psi, with MR230 you get 1.31 bar/19.0 psi. No' bad.

2. In 2nd gear at least (the rest can wait for another time) the rev limiter cuts in and the ECU backs boost off at 7,050 rpm. That's another 500 rpm over MP215/standard...is my engine about to go pop? I'm tempted to mail Mountune...

3. Overall peak boost is now 1.48 bar which it gave me time after time after time. Standard was 1.44.

Intake temps at an ambient outside temp of 9-12 celsius stayed mostly around 12-16 and peaked at 26 after a long pull in 4th...will be interesting to see how it copes on track where I saw over 50 celsius last year. Doing similar logs at a similar ambient temperature on the standard intercooler saw me hit 42 celsius.

Last edited:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Mountune's figures...

Thinking about the rev range increase, that's probably behind why they can now claim a 5.9 second 0-60 sprint time for MR230...with the extra 500 rpm you can now reach 60 without a change to 3rd gear.
mr230 bhp.jpg
mr230 lbsft.jpg

They quote 250 ft lbs but I had that with just MP215, and I had near 230 ft lbs when completely standard. It'll be interesting to see what it's actually got in a couple of weeks, I think 265-270 ft lbs.

Peugeot 308
The only thing I miss is xenons, other than that it's got everything.

I've just done 130 motorway miles with the cruise at 70 and its showing 44.7 mpg. Can't ask for much more than that.

Xenons and a better quality ride and it would be perfect for me.

HID's - I fitted them to my ST and they worked a gem!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Generally it seems to be the kits that use resistors to fool bulb monitoring systems that cause problems. On vag, the 'canbus Safe' kits have been known to blow wiper motors etc.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
1.44bar boost standard? When I did my data logging for my Revo 2 equipped car I had max boost of 1.37bar.

53 Clio's & counting
Ha I have the same thing! I am unsure if mine is the torque pro mind, how would I tell? (I paid for It if that helps, about £3 iirc?) It lets me clear fault codes, reads boost pressure, water temp etc (lets you choose dials/graphs etc) but I have not had a fiddle with it to see what I can really do with it

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Ha I have the same thing! I am unsure if mine is the torque pro mind, how would I tell? (I paid for It if that helps, about £3 iirc?) It lets me clear fault codes, reads boost pressure, water temp etc (lets you choose dials/graphs etc) but I have not had a fiddle with it to see what I can really do with it

If you've paid for it, it's Torque Pro.

It can only do so much on its own. Pair it with some video footage and RaceRender3 software and, for me anyway, I can lose days playing about with how I can view the data and seeing what I can learn from it all!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I am completely lost with anything techy! lol

How do you have your readouts on it mate?

I never use it with dials/gauges etc. showing...I just use it to log the data then play about with it in RaceRender to overlay graphs, counters, and dials on top of video footage. Or as I have been recently, when just wanting to check boost levels and rev limits, I just log the data, export it as a csv file, open it up in Excel and then play with it in there.

A MIN and MAX formula above each column of logged data is enough to get confirmation of boost/rev increases etc. I also format intake temps as data bars so rolling down the data I can see how they build when on the throttle and then recover once off.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
1.44bar boost standard? When I did my data logging for my Revo 2 equipped car I had max boost of 1.37bar.

I stand corrected!

I can only find one unmanipulated data file where I hadn't converted the boost data to a percentage of maximum, and in 20 minutes of driving, going from tickover to limiter in each gear, I recorded a max boost of 1.33 bar.

So;

Standard = 1.33 bar
MP215 = 1.44 bar
MR230 = 1.48 bar

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers Mark - I will have a bit more of a nosey at it :smile:

Glad to see the MR230 was worth it!

More than worth it!

I brimmed the tank last night, reset the trip MPG, and today attempted my now traffic light strewn stop/start commute to see what I could squeeze out of it. 20 mile round trip to and from work and I now have just shy of 46 MPG showing. If anything I think MR230 has made it more efficient!

If you get stuck with Torque Pro or want something specific PM me and I'll see if I can help.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Take the reliable and consistent Surrey Rolling Road and add...
1. one MR230 2013 Fiesta ST
2. the dyno data file from previous run when MP215
3. a hardcopy graph from SRR comparing MP215 with standard
4. a ruler
5. a little help with the maths from Excel
4. one of my daughter's green felt tip pens

The result?

Standard vs MP215 vs MR230 all from the same dyno.

My thoughts?

224.1 bhp equals 227.2 PS. I'll take that, it's close enough to the 230 Mountune claim for me. My car is due a service and it has 11,000 mile old oil in it including one very hard and hot Goodwood trackday...with fresh oil I'm sure it would deliver the full 230PS.

Regardless of any of that, who cares about the peak figures...compared to MP215 and standard look at the midrange gains!!! From 3,250rpm to 5,250rpm it is and feels so strong and gives way more than 15PS.

This backs up exactly what I felt as I moved from standard to MP215 then on to MR230.

MP215 from standard was good, a little more low down grunt, quite a bit more top end fizz.

MR230 from MP215 though, it's just mental. That is all.

20140208 surrey rolling road (2).jpg

20160206 surrey rolling road (2).jpg

20160206 surrey rolling road std v 215 v 230 (2).jpg

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Also, after along weekend and lots of miles so far, I drove into our village to pick up a curry and almost decorated the inside of my car with it. I still can't quite work out how he didn't see me...

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
I had something similar last week, Broad daylight as well. Only difference is the guy actually drove into the side of the Megane. wanker