ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Master cylinder upgrade?

Twingo 133
When upgrading to brembos on the front do people upgrade the master cylinder? If so to what one? 182 by the way!

I had a search through old posts but not found an obvious thread anywhere, if there is please link me to it!

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Hi, I used a Clio 200 master cylinder on my 182 retaining the ABS with brembos.... it’s not essential you just get a slight amount of free play with the standard cylinder. You get used to it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twingo 133
Hi, I used a Clio 200 master cylinder on my 182 retaining the ABS with brembos.... it’s not essential you just get a slight amount of free play with the standard cylinder. You get used to it!

Okay cheers mate, so the standard one would be fine then really! Guess could always see whats it’s like first and change afterwards if it’s bad

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member

Okay cheers mate, so the standard one would be fine then really! Guess could always see whats it’s like first and change afterwards if it’s bad

Yeah for sure, I read a bit about it before to and actually think it benefits Non ABS more to have a bigger cylinder, I’d already sourced a Clio 200 one so just slapped it on anyway after using the standard one for a while...

Make sure you use a t-piece on a bleeder so you can have both top bleed screws open on the brembos, much better way to get a good pedal [emoji106][emoji106]

Twingo 133

Yeah for sure, I read a bit about it before to and actually think it benefits Non ABS more to have a bigger cylinder, I’d already sourced a Clio 200 one so just slapped it on anyway after using the standard one for a while...

Make sure you use a t-piece on a bleeder so you can have both top bleed screws open on the brembos, much better way to get a good pedal [emoji106][emoji106]

Ah perfect I’ll try and find a 200 one for the future, good tip with the t piece too! Cheers mate [emoji2]

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Definitely try it with the standard MC for a few weeks. Its perfectly fine. You will get a bit of pedal travel once youve installed the brembos, trick is to keep bleeding them, like @incy-spider says try and bleed both nipples at the same time. Try and use an eezibleeder too. Will probably need a good few bleeds with some heavy braking in between.

Whats your definition of it? An actual dead zone where nothing happens or actual engagement but not a lot of pressure?

I used brembos with the stock mc, then a 197 mc, now a 4 port 23.8mm bore mc with abs delete and its pretty much the same each time. I made threads before and searched google for dead zone and pedal travel and there wasnt one peice of info anywhere talking about it. I went down to two techs in dartford and had a discussion about the servo and dead zone and its basically how the servo works... With that being said, stick to the stock mc, it doesnt make any noticeable difference but if you were to change it, change the mc at the same time you put the brembos in so you only have to bleed it once, changing/removing the mc is such a s**t job as well, I think ive done it about 4 times in the last 4-5 months because of how crap the brakes felt I just thought doing all this work would help but its been a waste of time

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member

Whats your definition of it? An actual dead zone where nothing happens or actual engagement but not a lot of pressure?

I used brembos with the stock mc, then a 197 mc, now a 4 port 23.8mm bore mc with abs delete and its pretty much the same each time. I made threads before and searched google for dead zone and pedal travel and there wasnt one peice of info anywhere talking about it. I went down to two techs in dartford and had a discussion about the servo and dead zone and its basically how the servo works... With that being said, stick to the stock mc, it doesnt make any noticeable difference but if you were to change it, change the mc at the same time you put the brembos in so you only have to bleed it once, changing/removing the mc is such a s**t job as well, I think ive done it about 4 times in the last 4-5 months because of how crap the brakes felt I just thought doing all this work would help but its been a waste of time

No just a slight amount more free play when initially pressing the brake pedal, the pedal feel was spot on though.

It was made even better after I found the t piece trick when bleeding too. changing the cylinder is okay once you remove all the metal bulkhead and get in there... worst part is bleeding the system after changing it. Luckily I work at a main dealer so with Clip plugged in and using the bleeding operation I had a great pedal [emoji106]

Have you done that??

@incy-spider

I have used 2 tubes but not a t piece before! Didnt think to do it this time round though Ill give it another go ?

Yeah clip would of helped massively the first couple of rounds, I actually have just got a clip copy but abs is long gone and cant get rid of the dash lights now, have a 172 cup ecu/uch as well with a dash/bulkhead loom on order..

Do you have the dead zone though too? Does everyone? How do you even modulate the brakes smoothly with it as theres resistance but the pushrod isnt actually moving, it just jumps out at me and I have to always work harder on it

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
@incy-spider

I have used 2 tubes but not a t piece before! Didnt think to do it this time round though Ill give it another go [emoji106]

Yeah clip would of helped massively the first couple of rounds, I actually have just got a clip copy but abs is long gone and cant get rid of the dash lights now, have a 172 cup ecu/uch as well with a dash/bulkhead loom on order..

Do you have the dead zone though too? Does everyone? How do you even modulate the brakes smoothly with it as theres resistance but the pushrod isnt actually moving, it just jumps out at me and I have to always work harder on it

No dead zone... maybe you have another issue? Calliper or something, sounds like you are having a bit of a nightmare!

Yeah its been bad. Here is a video, cars been off for a day, but that travel is how much nothing happens when driving, theres resistance there though

@incy-spider

I bought a 197 servo and having them both off the car they did the same thing, the push rod just doesnt move for that first bit of travel, I thought the servo was knackered but I have no idea now. Searched silly things like bleeding the servo :S

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Your vac pipe to the servo hasn’t melted above the manifold has it? They sometimes collapse inward when hot so not leaking just not supplying vacuum to the servo... have a look!?

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
3 year bump!
What if I only want to swap the std 182 master cylinder to a 197/200 unit just because I really can't find the 182 item anymore?
Are the brakes gonna feel weird because of it being a larger diameter bore?
Is it really a straight swap? Meaning the fittings are the same, or the 182 reservoir will fit the mk3 MC?
The 182 looks like it has 2xM12 threads for the fittings
Thanks!

172 Phase 2

Sorry to bump this. What do you need to do to before installing the 200 master cylinder into a 182. Im still trying to retain ABS. From my understanding you need a m12 to m10 reducer or is it the other way around?