ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Matthew's Non-Sport

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Hi all,

I got this nearly two years ago now and have slowly started to do bits and bobs to the car.

When purchased it had just short of 24,000 miles, FSH, all MOT Certificates, All previous Tax disks etc. I paid just under £3k for it which wasn't bad considering the above along with the fact that it has A/C and an electric sun roof.

All fresh and new:
DSCF2663.jpg

DSCF2655.jpg

Not long after i decided to treat the car to a full service and the MOT was due.
The service included:
Cambelt
Water pup
Aux belt
All filters
All fluids
Full check over the car.

Thankfully she came back fully healthy however my wallet wasn't!

We had a bad patch of weather that seemed to be non stop for around 3 months, during this i realised that my sunroof had the classic leak which most renaults seem to inherit at some point. I had a look around at all of the guide which were for manual sunroofs, i had also read somewhere that electric ones can be more difficult to remove and to refit therefore i decided to get a professional in.

http://www.sunroofrepairs.co.uk/index.php

They charged a grand total of £110 including VAT to carry out the following work:
Fix sunroof
Fix chip in windscreen
Reseal windscreen

They were in and out within and hour and did a first class job (highly recommended)

I had and incident January of this year where i hit a pot hole on a blind corner, this resulted in a damaged alloy.

I ended up stranded in the middle of no where for 1hr until a friend managed to get to me with a breaker bar, we swapped over the alloy to the spare and i drove home. The following morning i took it over to a local garage and they checked over the suspension and wishbones etc. All was ok, so now i went about searching for a new alloy.

Foolishly i ended up buying a full set of brand new Monza R alloys with tyres for £500. I later sold these on without tyres for £200.

Also foolishly i ended up applying the decals that you can see above.

I ended up with a set of the standard alloys which i powder coated Black

The next main mod was a 172 rear bumper to which i got sprayed to match

List of current Mods:

Front diamond, dash inserts, gear stick insert, painted Ford graphite grey.
Wind deflectors
Powder coated alloys
Vinyl wrapped wing mirrors and bullets

List of plans:

Exhaust system
Lower
Carbon Aqua-dip the wing mirrors, front and rear diamonds, bullets, dash and gear inserts.
Fabia splitter

Thanks for reading if you got this far, i will try to update as things happen (will be a lot in the next few months) and sorry about the image quality / sizes, i am no photographer!

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Forgot to say i have an exhaust system going on this thursday, and i'm in talks over some coilovers now. Carbon aqua dipping will take place end of feb hopefully and fabia splitter will be on asap.

Any suggestions, advice, or hate is welcome!

Arctic 182FF
Looking good so far, definitely get some coilovers, best mod ever for a non sport! Not a fan of the first set of alloys you bought :p but they would've looked great if you powdercoated them black. May I ask how much it was for the 172 rear bumper and respray? As I want that to be my next mod. Colour coding is always a winner, will freshen up the look of the car, the side strips can be done quite easily and cheaply and they really do make a difference. I'd also suggest colour coding the boot release button so that your rear diamond looks like a renault diamond rather than just a solid block. You seem to be on the right track, good work :)

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Bumper was £50 and spray way £100..

I like the side strips as they are but I'm going to look into the bumper inserts..

Cheers for the comments!

Arctic 182FF
Thanks for that. Ok then, I'd recommend you check out Danman's project thread as his is the same colour as yours and he's done similar things to his, you can also see the difference between black side strips and cc'd ones there :)

Good effort. If you want some coilovers, I know someone who has a set that will fit your car. They are seized, however you might be able to un-seize them. Pretty cheep to iirc.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers Jon, I have sourced some at the moment that are brand new and quite cheep. If that falls through ill give you a PM for more information.

George - its also know as Hydro dipping, hydro graphics etc. Basically a film of a certain print (carbon in this case) is layed on some water, the film is left for 60 seconds to activate, then sprayed with a primer and the part in pushed through the film leaving it coated in whatever print has been selected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN4PS7ZJeYY

I have a friend that owns a garage who race in the Le Mans race, they decided to invest in the kit so they didn't have to keep sending bits off to be sprayed which ended up being costly. Ive spoke to them about it and after i've had bits done on mine if people like it they are willing to do a group buy with it.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Coilovers have just been paid for, they will be fitted at the end of Feb as their for my birthday! :eek:

As said above exhaust is going on this thursday.

To-Do List

• Exhaust (3/1/2013)
  • Coilovers (21/2/2013)
  • Carbon look items
  • New rear tyres (1/2/2013)
  • Touch up centre caps
  • Major paint correction and interior detail (9/3/2012 - 10/3/2013)

Hopefully i can get them all done before the big chester meet on the 17th March.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Well there has been a set back with the exhaust. Turns out that the previous owner (member on here) has modified the exhaust by cutting it down and fitting a new flange. This now means that the centre section is now 20cm too short, so i'm now going to be getting a standard centre section and cutting the 20 cm or so i need off and getting an adapter sleeve to customise it to fit. Thats set me back a month as i'm all spend up with christmas and the girlfriends 21st birthday.

So next month the exhaust will be fitted, coilovers fitted, new detailing products to be ordered and a big clean to be carried out.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Totally forgot about this thread!

Coilovers have been fitted and its lowered sensibly to reduce the arch gap and that's about it.

End of this month will see the mot and service and next month a few things will be happening so ill be sure to update!

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Well after a faultless 3 years with the car it was time to get a bigger / more refined car. I've moved up to a Mazda 3 Tamura in Aurora Blue Mica. the new car is in fantastic condition both inside and outside and feels like a much more powerful car even though the increase in bhp is only around 50bhp.

theres not much in the pipeline for the Mazda but I'll get a thread up when I get chance to give it a polish and take some photos.