ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Matt's "had to have another" 172 Cup

172 Cup
Hi all, had a 172 Cup about 4 years back until someone stole it.

I always fancied another so due to a recent incident (I'll get to that in a bit) I ended up with one.

It's a 53 plate with a smidge over 100k, Ktec coilovers, brembo discs, DS2500, braided hoses and a stainless exhaust system.

I bought it from a member on here. So after a 400 mile round trip on the 16th November I arrived home with an absolute gem. It needs nothing!! The engine is superb and still feels very tight and strong.

I ended up doing a last minute trackday on the 6th December at Snetterton with a few mates to put it through its paces and it was great, apart from destroying the brake fluid.

F0319AF1-F47F-4F1F-B12B-FDB26A8FF332_zpsf01xib5u.jpg

I finally got chance to give it a clean for the first time yesterday, comes up well I thought, I will chuck some polish and wax on it at some point and get some better pics.

9D57B711-F003-4130-B85E-EB667F4A8657_zpsff1ks3wc.jpg

As for plans.... A wheel refurb (colour is a little flat), 4 new PS3s, a good service soon and then get some use out of it. I have a works van so this is purely a weekend/track/ring car although will be keeping a full interior.

I'm off to the ring easter weekend and again for DN12, also a few UK trackdays inbetween. A few friends are also talking about doing a combined Spa and ring trip so that may happen too.

Now onto the previously mentioned incident..... I was at the ring in my 106 track car for the DN10 trackday and developed a fluid leak, next thing I know I'm going sideways at 110+, luckily got away with just kissing the barriers but still damaged intercooler, rad, oil cooler, bonnet, bumper and wing.

Here it is in it's prime.

87C0AAED-A5A1-44EC-9D97-F61E788B93B6_zpsl5afvl6a.jpg

Brief spec, 414hp, AST 3 ways and 4 pot Alcons.

So this 172 Cup is something to keep me from going insane whilst the 106 is being sorted, although I can see this staying for a very long time.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Looks very nice. I'm after another cup too. Had one new in 2003 and I loved it.

172 Cup
Looks very nice. I'm after another cup too. Had one new in 2003 and I loved it.

I would have loved one from new but I was 15 when they came into production.

Haha, I get that a lot. Owens developments GT2868 HTA at 27psi.

Welcome back mate. Looks tidy , enjoy it :up:

Thanks, I forgot how fun they were to drive. The 106 is too lairy to have fun on the roads.

172 Cup
Cup looks tidy :smile:

What's the full spec of the 106 engine? I'm guessing it's a GTI6 engine?

Thanks!

It's the original 1.6 block, forged internals, ARP rod bolts, ported head, larger exhaust valves, Catcam turbo cams, equal length manifold, full custom 3" exhaust system, DP alloy inlet, GT2868HTA and water meth injection.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
That's crazy power! Any videos at all? I can't even begin to imagine what that's like in a 106 lol

172 Cup
Fair play, that's a lot from a 1.6

Cheers, it's surprisingly useable too.

That's crazy power! Any videos at all? I can't even begin to imagine what that's like in a 106 lol

Snetterton last year was spot on all day apart from lacking a little feel through the brake pedal.

DN10 this year, 11th lap ever and 2 laps before the brush with the barriers.

f**k me! My 182 is 270hp and it feels very quick Imo, your 106 must be pushing 500hp/ton lol.

Weighs 910kg so 455 per ton, still has glass, electric windows and mirrors so could easily shed more weight if I wanted.

That 106 is seriously cool :cool:

Thanks, I really need to get cracking on with it tbh.

Power to weight isnt such a great indicator as you can tell by the Porsches still pulling away on the straights. Still thats an awful lot of horsepower for a 106!What do you think of the Clio so far?

172 Cup
Goes well :smile:

Haha it's not bad.

Power to weight isnt such a great indicator as you can tell by the Porsches still pulling away on the straights. Still thats an awful lot of horsepower for a 106!What do you think of the Clio so far?

I had to ease off to stop myself stoving the GT3 in the rear, that was at 360. Ring was 297 so a fair way down on power too.

Yeah Clio is awesome, was great at Snetterton even though it was very very slippery.

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
Love the 106, how can you get 414bhp down in a car that weighs ~900kg? Seems ridiculous and impossible but I love it!

172 Cup
Love the 106, how can you get 414bhp down in a car that weighs ~900kg? Seems ridiculous and impossible but I love it!

Cheers. Haha, you don't.... until 3rd gear, even then its a tad lively. The 414 is just a pub figure anyway, wanted to see how far it could be pushed. It will grip well with decent throttle input.

At 360 which is what I usually run on track it just about puts down full throttle in second when coming out of the corners, but only when the tyres are warm.

Wow. Just watched the ring lap, in awe!

Glad you liked it! With a bit more track knowledge, bravery and once I crank the boost up to the usual track setting I reckon I could go a fair bit quicker.

But that will be 2016 when I next take it out there.

This is the first time I went in 2013.
null_zps83292a75.jpg[/URL
]

Clio 172 cup 300bhp
I had a VTS with 10 point role cage polycarbonate windows etc weighed 820kg with 160 bhp and that was quick on track your must be a beast

172 Cup
A few updates, nothing too exciting.

Had to have Snappy do my wheel and gaiter, the original wheel wasn't in too bad condition tbf, but its something I wanted doing rather than needing.

IMG_5338_zpsudpqx5qe.jpg

Wheels have been done wrapped in 4 new PS3's.

IMG_5087_zpsrpriyvin.jpg

Gave them a quick seal before putting them on.

IMG_5099_zpszwz5pwwk.jpg

IMG_5188_zpse4sttkd5.jpg

Before fitting these I thought I'd give the brakes a good refresh, so ordered Brembo HC discs and DS2500 for the front, and brembo pads for the rear. Rear discs were done recently by the previous owner.

So, onto the fitting, the sliders were pretty much fubar, luckily managed to free off 3 but the final one ended up like this....

IMG_5143_zpsglbukbej.jpg

So after a mate tracked down a caliper and carrier for me I gave them all a cleanup and got it all fitted.

Also chucked a powerflex dog bone on it whilst it was there.

All it then needed was a service ready for the 'Ring trip.

There was around 40 of us in total

IMG_5635_zpsschln5pq.jpg

IMG_5657_zpsb81phheo.jpg

We all stay at the Lindner Ferienpark and I more than recommend it, 5 mins from the 'Ring, very well specced, very clean and cheap!

Had an awesome time as usual, but due to a weird hesitation at around 5k when hot I treated it as more of a scenic trip (diagnosed as a TDC sensor, yet to be fitted). I done 1 VLN lap, 1 normal Nordschleife lap and 1 GP session. The Mrs done 1 Nordschleife and 2 GP.

It completed all the laps and sessions fine, as we literally went straight there from the houses, made sure the engine was warm and just went for it. Its ok if running less than 1 hour on a normal drive, any longer and the hesitation starts.

I did pay to go in a GT3 though through RingTaxi. What an incredible machine!! Was grinning from ear to ear the whole way round.

IMG_5724_zps1hsvrux3.jpg

Lucky I didn't do any more laps as on the way home the drivers top mount was knocking an banging really bad, sounded like it was gonna drop off at one point.

So back home after 1300 miles.

IMG_5755_zpsl3rsswgv.jpg

So whats next....

Fitting the TDC sensor and plug and a new top mount.
Then possibly some new coilovers, the Ktecs are ok but not really up to the abuse. Will possibly go for Gaz GHA's, as I don't want this to turn into a money pit like the 106 haha.
Finally will give it a going over with the DA and get a coat of wax on it at some point in the not too distant future.

Then more trackdays and hopefully get the Mrs some more experience in the car.

Last edited: