ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Maximising oil change intervals and maintaining maximum engine life. Chip?

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Before we start this is not specifically F4R related and is something I have been asked to do by work.

We have data for:

Oil Pressure
Oil Temperature
Engine Revs
Road Speed
Vehicle Mileage

We do not have:

Previous oil change date
Vehicle recommended oil change intervals
or any servicing information

What I need to do:

Using the data I have i need to predict the point in time that a vehicle requires an oil change, the premise is that changing oil too early will produce unnecessary costs and changing the oil too late can cause engine damage so even more costs.
I understand that oil pressure and oil temp can be use to figure out the oil viscosity which can be used to figure out if the oil needs changing.

Does anyone have any idea if it is possible with the information I have and if it is the best ways to do it?

182 Cup, Camaro Z28
Focus on the number of engine revs 1st, more revs, then at a limit you'd want to change the oil...but only if it's degraded?
You need the speed and milage to see how long the engine has been on, to find absolute revolutions (ie revs , NOT revs/min)
(eg, if a car A did 1000 miles at 6000 rpm compared to car B that does 2000 miles at 2000 rpm both at 60 mph, which engine has done more revolutions, need speed to work out time on, then work out absolute revolutions of engine)

Problem here, you dont have a baseline to start with, i.e last oil change, you need to DO A CHANGE to then start recording things and figuring out what happens

ie, after a change you can see how many rev's its done in total, as above. You can see if the oil degrades overtime, ie pressure and temp changes on average -> when it gets past a certain limit you that YOU SET, then you change the oil.
Standard intervals range from 10k to 20k for most modern cars and oil. You could use total milage to bias the changes so more milage in total (older engine) then it needs a change more often

depends how you base your argument for changing the oil, ie regardless of engine revolutions and based purely on oil condition, or based on revolutions only regardless of oil condition....or a mix of both, like permissable revolutions at a given oil quality.....

you'd have to continually log the car data and work out conditions on the fly, like OIL monitors on most cars do now.....

hope this makes sence and helps :)

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Focus on the number of engine revs 1st, more revs, then at a limit you'd want to change the oil...but only if it's degraded?
You need the speed and milage to see how long the engine has been on, to find absolute revolutions (ie revs , NOT revs/min)
(eg, if a car A did 1000 miles at 6000 rpm compared to car B that does 2000 miles at 2000 rpm both at 60 mph, which engine has done more revolutions, need speed to work out time on, then work out absolute revolutions of engine)

Problem here, you dont have a baseline to start with, i.e last oil change, you need to DO A CHANGE to then start recording things and figuring out what happens

ie, after a change you can see how many rev's its done in total, as above. You can see if the oil degrades overtime, ie pressure and temp changes on average -> when it gets past a certain limit you that YOU SET, then you change the oil.
Standard intervals range from 10k to 20k for most modern cars and oil. You could use total milage to bias the changes so more milage in total (older engine) then it needs a change more often

depends how you base your argument for changing the oil, ie regardless of engine revolutions and based purely on oil condition, or based on revolutions only regardless of oil condition....or a mix of both, like permissable revolutions at a given oil quality.....

you'd have to continually log the car data and work out conditions on the fly, like OIL monitors on most cars do now.....

hope this makes sence and helps :)

Thank you very much, the revolutions idea is quite interesting, and we have the ability to continually log the vehicle so i will look into the oil monitoring systems of modern cars.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Biggest thing that degrades oil is contaminants from the engine caused by driving when the oil is not up to temp. So lots of short journeys from cold will degrade the oil faster than longer journeys with the oil at temp.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Ok this is all information i can find out about individual vehicles, but it also means finding out how much using the engine cold degrades the oil on each engine, which is a massive pain. But i do predict as the vehicles this is aimed at are typically used for long distance journeys but i will still need to find out how much mileage degrades the oil.