ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MBP - App Store Apps not updating

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I've tried googling, but due to being full r****d, I don't really understand the issue, other than it might be something to do with at some point having different apple ID's. Now AFAIK, I've only ever had one apple ID, which is my old hotmail account (had it for years, I CBA changing).

Any suggestions.

When you make suggestions, please bare with me, as I said earlier, I'm full r****d.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
iOS App store or Mac App Store?

What does it say?

IOS App Store I think (the one on the task bar - or whatever it is called), the updates are for garage band and iPhoto.

"You have updates available for other accounts
To update this application, sign in to the account you used to purchase it."

I don't (AFAIK) have another account.

Megane 225 F1
Apps that came free with the MBP, can't be updated. Only if you have bought the application.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
On your iPhone or iTunes on your MBP.

Ah, I see, I'm with you.

Bit annoying that this just seems to be an issue you have to live with.

There was something about changing something in spotlight, but I didn't understand it at all, lol.

Megane 225 F1
Mine doesn't. It annoys me because I always have an update for it that I can't update. In fact it was a fanboy on here that told me that was the reason.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I'd need more details.

What apps?

Guitar band and iPhoto.

Both have the same issue, saying I need to sign in with the account I purchased the apps with.

I only have 1 apple ID.

I have tried signing in and out with my apple ID.

I have tried re-indexing the HD in spotlight, I may have the terminology wrong, but added it to the private list then removed it and tried it again.

Think I have exhausted the online help.

I'm booked with genius bar on Thursday, although I'd rather be able to sort it myself, as it saves me a drive.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Have you emailed/called apple? You probably don't need a Genius bar for this.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4710#

I realise that just repeats whats been said. But its a good reference when contacting apple.

The other slightly left field way to solve it would be to trash the applications and re download them from the Mac App Store.
(You wont lose any content)

Last edited:

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Have you emailed/called apple? You probably don't need a Genius bar for this.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4710#

I realise that just repeats whats been said. But its a good reference when contacting apple.

The other slightly left field way to solve it would be to trash the applications and re download them from the Mac App Store.
(You wont lose any content)

I did try trashing them from my applications menu in finder, but they disappeared from the updates list on the app store, so didn't know where I could re-download from. So I ended up putting the apps back from trash.

I tried phoning apple a couple of months ago, but unfortunately the guy I spoke to was no help.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Theres a purchased section in the store.

Cool.

I'll have a go at that this evening when I'm at home and see what happens.

Do I just move apps from finder to trash? No need to empty trash or anything before trying to get the update through purchased apps?

Thanks for the help all btw, it's much appreciated.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
That didn't work.

Nothing shows up in the purchased apps, I presume because they were bundled with the Mac, and not purchased through my Apple ID?

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I've tried downloading the updates outside of the app store, no joy.

Will try the second thing you suggested though.

Thanks.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Well, I now have a different message:

"These apps cannot be accepted on this computer. Future updates of these apps can be found through Software Update."

Just checking the software updates now, but I'm not hopeful.

Nope, software is apparently up to date

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Genius bar it is!

Lol, indeed.

Just done a bit of reading, apparently if pushed they will give you an activation code for iLife / add them to your Apple ID, which hopefully will resolve the issue.

It seems to be a big issue (in terms of volume of people as opposed to impact) within the support forums.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Apple calling tomorrow evening to add the apps to my account which will apparently solve it.

The genius had never seen the issue, had to phone someone to find out what to do, lol.

Hopefully be sorted tomorrow night.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Apple phoned last night.

Phoning again on Monday to confirm a verification code for the apps, and to hopefully discuss some good will :)

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Sorted.

3 redeem codes for iMovie, iPhoto and garage band. So they're all installed now.

Apple phoning this afternoon to make sure all is well and to discuss good will.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Superb. So they will update via the mac app store now.

Apparently so, as they're now purchases as opposed to included with the Mac.

Fingers crossed anyway.

Service from them has been very good. My initial experience of their phone support wasn't overwhelmingly positive, so they've certainly redeemed themselves.

See what they have to say for themselves this afternoon. Hoping it will mean some films for my trip to NY in June, ha.