ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Meguiars Quick Clay + after treatment...

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
Hey,

Going to buy this soon to do my first (for me and the car!) clay...

This stuff is ok for a beginner yeah?
Also, will one pack of it do the whole car, or should i buy 2?

What kind of time frames am i looking at?

Also, once I have clayed, I will AG SRP and AG EGP, how long do i need to leave each on to make sure I have adequate protection?

Sorry, i know i'm being a little lazy and can probably find it on a thread somewhere... :eek:

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Easy to use for the beginner [clay virgin] as long as you keep the paintwork wet/lubed with soapy water QD.

I normally cut the clay bar into 3 and find it more then enough for one car.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
It does depend on the condition of the pain, if its quite rough all over you may need half the clay bar.

SRP and EGP are good to go for I usually leave EGP on for 30 mins and another coat the next day.

106 GTi
As others have said one clay bar is easily sufficient for a whole car, if the paint is not to contaminated you will most likely get the whole car done on a 1/3 of a bar.

You can then polish the panels one by one straight away with the SRP. Apply it to the panel, work it and remove straight away then move on to the next. You can then apply the EGP to the whole car straight after that. Make sure it is in a very very thin layer, allow to cure for 45-60 mins as long as it is not baking on in the sun, or very damp. Remove and then allow 12-24 hours before adding additional coats.

I am too a clay bar beginner, got some supplies yesterday including a Sonus green ultra fine clay bar and set about it first thing this morning.

It is really quite simple, after a good wash i cut my bar into 3 and used soapy water as a lubricant, and did the bonnet and both sides, until rain stopped play!!

As my car is only 3 months old there was not alot of contaminants on the paintwork although it is noticeably smoother.

Well worth spending the time doing.

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Ditto what Rich said. Basically keep the paintwork well lubed and keep going over with the clay till the paint feels super smooth. Wash the car first obviously, then you dont need to dry it just go straight onto the claying. After that wash it again then dry it and then you can add the SRP and EGP.

With the SRP I like to use it within a 1 foot square area at a time, working the polish in with medium to strong pressure in straight lines. Do this for a few minutes, then buff off straight away and carry on with the rest of the car. There are other ways to apply it but the above method seems to help get the best out of the polish.

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
Awesome, thanks for your help guys, appreciated.

The Meggy quick clay comes with a QD i think, is this ok/enough to use or best off using soapy water or some other QD? As you say, will give the car a thorough wash before hand so it will be wet.

So you don't need to leave the SRP on at all, literally on and then off when you have finished the panel? I like that, will be quicker than i thought too! Do you gurus do every bit of paint visible and go the whole hog and do inside doors etc? Or just the weathered paint?

Also, how do you clean the clay? Or do you just keep folding it over on itself and discard when its heavily contaminated?

2008 Albi 197
Keep folding the clay to a new side if it gets dirty, you can't clean it. If you can't get a clean side then chuck it and use a new piece. THe detailing spray you get with the kit is perfectly fine and will easily do the whole car. I used the same kit on mine last week for the first time and its really easy to use, makes a hell of a difference after you polish and wax too!

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
You can water the megs QD down a little if you like so it lasts longer :)

With the SRP I tend to do everything inc sills and the inside of the tailgate etc. It's not just a case of putting it on then taking it off; it needs to be worked in for 2 minutes or so to allow the polish to work effectively.

Wouldn't chuck the old clay tbh, keep it for wheels and door sills etc.

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
Keep folding the clay to a new side if it gets dirty, you can't clean it. If you can't get a clean side then chuck it and use a new piece. THe detailing spray you get with the kit is perfectly fine and will easily do the whole car. I used the same kit on mine last week for the first time and its really easy to use, makes a hell of a difference after you polish and wax too!

Awesome, cant wait to get out there and do it, before this rubbish "summer" ends as well!... I'm sure i'll be bored after 10 minutes mind! :S

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
You can water the megs QD down a little if you like so it lasts longer :)

With the SRP I tend to do everything inc sills and the inside of the tailgate etc. It's not just a case of putting it on then taking it off; it needs to be worked in for 2 minutes or so to allow the polish to work effectively.

Wouldn't chuck the old clay tbh, keep it for wheels and door sills etc.

When you say worked in, do you mean continuosly rubbing it in etc, or just leaving it for a while. I take it you can use microfibre cloths for both ARP and EGP?

good call about the old clay too, i like your thinking! ;)

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
I know this is probably a stupid question, but can you clay when its raining? Or will it introduce contamination to the paintwork? Assuming that you don't mind getting wet lol.... The reason i ask is because i have bought myself some quick clay and want to do it ASAP, but it looks like it will be raining on and off for a while! didn't want to start it if i'd have to stop!

106 GTi
You need to keep using the SRP until there is little left to remove that way you will not get any dusting.

You can clay in the rain if you like, problem being is you will then have unprotected paint till you can re seal it.

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
So the best way to start as a clay virgin is to tackle a panel at a time yeah? roof, doors, skirts, arches, bonnet, boot, sills etc?