ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Metal Grinding Noise

Okay, just been out in car, and the clutch has gone. When you pull the clutch out it makes an awful loud grinding noise, i think its the release bearing, would i be right in thinking so?

Also anyone know where i could get one without buying a whole new clutch kit?

Cheers

182CUP
Yeah sounds like you have the same problem as me, my clutch went last week - and it made a grinding noise, and then a sqealing noise!!

Took it into the garage, and he phoned and said the release bearing was f***ed.

To get my clutch done was £620.00, the release bearing was only £34 + vat

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
just out of interest does anyone know when the release bearing is on the way out if the revs drop when idling when you depress the clutch? (just in neutral, not moving)

this happened on my old classic mini, just wondering if is the same for most cars or just old rot boxes.

just out of interest does anyone know when the release bearing is on the way out if the revs drop when idling when you depress the clutch? (just in neutral, not moving)

this happened on my old classic mini, just wondering if is the same for most cars or just old rot boxes.

Im no mechanic, but on my car just before it went, the biting point was really high, clutch was stiff to a point just below biting point, and i dont know if it was the clutch but the engine sometimes squeaked.

Didnt take too much notice to the revs when idling though, this post was pretty pointless after reading it back haha

Found out, its a combination of everything, release bearing was ok, clutch plate was rattling, pressure plate was on its way out too. For some reason they're rusty, hows water getting in gearbox? :S

172 Cup
If its not clutch, its gonna be an input shaft bearing!! See how much play is in the input shaft when the box is out! Ouch!!

Well, I'm getting a new gearbox tomo and see if that helps, the gearbox has rust in it now anyway, so somethings up :/

We struggled getting the clutch back in place, so my mate thinks it might be the input shaft bearing, but we wont find out till we take gearbox off in mornin :(

Last edited: