ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Couple of videos from the recent trackday at Bedford.

The car was brilliant all day long - spent lots of time faffing about with suspension settings & got it to a point that it was going rather well! The beauty of the Ohlins is that whilst they can be perfectly soft for day to day usage, a few clicks the other way & its more than hard enough for track work. Unlike other dampers, each click makes a noticeable difference as well, so you can really fine tune the setup how you want it. You can see why RenaultSport chose to use them on the Megane Trophy/Trophy-R :up: Ultimately, i think i would prefer a little more oversteer on the limit (i like to adjust direction on the throttle a little more), so a rear ARB would definitely be something to consider moving forwards - it made a great difference to the Clios/R53. The AO48's were impressive as well, not as much ultimate grip as R888's, but they held on nicely (in the wet & dry) & wore far better than a normal road tyre ever would!

Unfortunately, with me really struggling with the concept of selling the sheddy old R53 (family sentiment/thousands poured into it etc etc) and really wanting an automatic daily driver, the R56 is likely to become surplus to requirements this month (i'll do an ad once ive found all the service info etc). Its been a great 9 months and ive built it into a great spec for daily/track, but well you know me, 9 months in one car is a long time ...

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
How have you got Harry's lap timer set up, do you use your phone or Bluetooth OBD reader? Videos look good though, I can't wait to get back on track.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
How have you got Harry's lap timer set up, do you use your phone or Bluetooth OBD reader? Videos look good though, I can't wait to get back on track.
Its a fairly basis setup, so just the phone (for timing/gps etc), then a Sony HDR-AS100V Action Cam for video.
The phone tells the camera when to start recording (at the beginning of the first full lap), then you stop it manually when you go back into the pits.
Once home, copy the camera files onto the laptop, put them onto the phone using iTunes, overlay the timing info onto the video on the iPhone, then upload everything to youtube. Bit complicated first time round, but easy enough if you follow their guides online :up:

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Its a fairly basis setup, so just the phone (for timing/gps etc), then a Sony HDR-AS100V Action Cam for video.
The phone tells the camera when to start recording (at the beginning of the first full lap), then you stop it manually when you go back into the pits.
Once home, copy the camera files onto the laptop, put them onto the phone using iTunes, overlay the timing info onto the video on the iPhone, then upload everything to youtube. Bit complicated first time round, but easy enough if you follow their guides online :up:

Does it ruin the video quality (swapping between cam and phone) and once you overlay the information and you still put it back onto the computer and edit the video? I know these might be daft questions but I always say there is no such thing as a stupid question.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Does it ruin the video quality (swapping between cam and phone) and once you overlay the information and you still put it back onto the computer and edit the video? I know these might be daft questions but I always say there is no such thing as a stupid question.
Ummm, the quality seems ok on the videos above lol, still 1080 HD or whatever its called :up:
I didn't bother editing it any further than what Harry's can do, but assume you can mess about with it further on the computer if you want to.
Love the look of this.
Similar cost of ownership to a Mk3 RS? Servicing/parts wise.
Thanks! I'd say its probably on a par with a mk3 at a guess, although on a run, 40mpg is achievable, not sure you get that out of a clio lol, unless you were pushing it down a hill! My average (lots of traffic jams in town) is just over 30. Tax is £12 a month i think, service every 18k miles. Consumables wise, the Brembo front brakes are probably similar in terms of pad/disc cost to the Clio (£215 for Pagid discs/pads all round from memory).

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Ummm, the quality seems ok on the videos above lol, still 1080 HD or whatever its called :up:
I didn't bother editing it any further than what Harry's can do, but assume you can mess about with it further on the computer if you want to.

Thanks! I'd say its probably on a par with a mk3 at a guess, although on a run, 40mpg is achievable, not sure you get that out of a clio lol, unless you were pushing it down a hill! My average (lots of traffic jams in town) is just over 30. Tax is £12 a month i think, service every 18k miles. Consumables wise, the Brembo front brakes are probably similar in terms of pad/disc cost to the Clio (£215 for Pagid discs/pads all round from memory).

Sounds cheaper to run than mine then! Better MPG (26), less to tax (barely) and longer between services! (12k/12months) 😧
Cracking Clio alternative though, I really like them.

Peugeot 308
Ahh Dave, dont part with it!

I presume you will be taking the shiney parts off? I may be interested in the cooler if you are.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Ahh Dave, dont part with it!
I presume you will be taking the shiney parts off? I may be interested in the cooler if you are.
Perhaps. I'll see if anyone wants it as it is first though ...
The sad time has now come however, as i picked up a nice sensible automatic Audi on Thursday
hehe.gif

IMG_4409_zpsczhgawpl.jpg

With that in mind, the R56 is now definitely up for sale:
http://www.cliosport.net/threads/high-spec-59-mini-r56-fjcw-£10-495-ono.805813/#post-11351652

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Was that Waiteys or you bought another?
Nah, he wanted too much money. And his probably smelt of pigs.
Wasn't planning on buying one at all (i was looking at Golf Gti/R's), but a work associate was looking to trade this in, so i said id have it.
Picks up Audi, immediately parks like a c**t etc.
:kissingheart:
lol. First attempt at parking, definitely longer than than a Mini 😂

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Nah, he wanted too much money. And his probably smelt of pigs.
Wasn't planning on buying one at all (i was looking at Golf Gti/R's), but a work associate was looking to trade this in, so i said id have it.

lol. First attempt at parking, definitely longer than than a Mini 😂
f**k you. I wanted proper money. Not 'I blow my co workers' money.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
So the R56 went a couple of weeks ago now.

It sold for £9850, but i got to keep my Turinis/A048's for the R53 and all the standard fJCW parts (circa £400 worth). So overall, with some canny purchasing, despite the variety of modifications/work done to the car, i only lost £1,567 on the overall vehicle spend in 10 months/10k miles - that pretty much equates to the non-recoverable cost of the clutch/flywheel/timing chain (all standard R56 consumables/problems), so i'm fairly happy with the result. Just for @MarkCup the complete ownership experience, so absolutely everything needed to run the car, was 42p a mile.

When cleaning the car prior to sale, there was definitely a rather large moment of "wtf have i done" 😊
Photo%2007-04-2017%2018%2024%2059_zps5eftyzfr.jpg

Photo%2007-04-2017%2018%2025%2012_zpsotycopfu.jpg

Photo%2007-04-2017%2018%2025%2044_zpslfsyequl.jpg
Photo%2007-04-2017%2018%2033%2050_zpsardjt0we.jpg

Photo%2007-04-2017%2018%2026%2044_zps4s8utko4.jpg

Photo%2007-04-2017%2018%2025%2054_zps4jkjtezs.jpg

Bye bye Mini :cry:
Photo%2008-04-2017%2014%2057%2013_zpsbkwyyvyw.jpg

Quite possibly the only car Sarah has been genuinely upset to see go. It was a "little rocket" apparently, brilliant fun. I completely agree :up:

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Those seats, mmm. Didn't know these were so pricey though!
You can buy cheaper fJCW's, but if you want to fit Recaros, Ohlins R&T coilovers & Quaife diff/Helix Organic clutch/SMF to your R56, that's 5 grand straight away. So if you consider that, plus the other modifications/preventative maintenance that id done over the past 10 months, it was actually very good VFM :up: