ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mintex 1144 pads, squeeling like hell

182, 6r GTi
Fitted a new brake setup, iv just changed to will-wood 4pots Mintex 1144 pads and Brembo high carbon disks,

the braking is fantastic but the squeal is unbearable

is this normal with these pads? read a few things about them being shite and squeeling

i was thinking of going to ds2500's and replacing the mintex pads

any help appreciated

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
mintex squeel quite often, and wilwoods make it worse somehow (Think they're not very rigid so have odd vibrations in the aluminium)

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
well i wouldn't run 4 pots with 1144s, I'd upgrade the pads a lot before changing calipers. Can probably file the leading edge of the pads to a chamfer and use some anti-squeel paste on the backs. Choosing another compound depends what you want to do with them.

Evo 5 RS
Fitted a new brake setup, iv just changed to will-wood 4pots Mintex 1144 pads and Brembo high carbon disks,

the braking is fantastic but the squeal is unbearable

is this normal with these pads? read a few things about them being s**te and squeeling

i was thinking of going to ds2500's and replacing the mintex pads

any help appreciated

Mine are exactly the same. If it's REALLY bad are you sure you've fitted the sticky anti squeal backingl pads? Without them it's ridiculous on those calipers

Lotus Elise
I have 1144 in my wilwoods at the moment and they dont squeel however I dont rate them at a brake pad, Ill will be going back to DS3000 if Im honest.

Evo 5 RS
They're ok in those calipers but you could do a lot better. They make an almighty stink too :eek:. I want to get hold of some pagid bluuuues

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I've never had squealing from DS 2500's. If the pads are coated on the back and sides with copper grease they won't squeal.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I've never had squealing from DS 2500's. If the pads are coated on the back and sides with copper grease they won't squeal.

i've seen no less noise from those than mintex stuff. can't make pad recommendations like that without knowing the usage either

182, 6r GTi
i've seen no less noise from those than mintex stuff. can't make pad recommendations like that without knowing the usage either

the cars going to become more of a track focused car but i still need to be able to drive it easily about a busy town/city because of were i live, car will also be going to the ring in a few months

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I've covered 900 miles on my M1144s since fitting, and I think I've heard the faintest squeal maybe twice in that time.

Hoping they do ok on track at Llandow, I don't like fire.

Lotus Elise
the cars going to become more of a track focused car but i still need to be able to drive it easily about a busy town/city because of were i live, car will also be going to the ring in a few months

For the ring id upgrade from the 1144, good cold bit but you cant really lean on them on track like you can with more focused pads.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
For the money though the 1144 isn't a bad choice though as an upgrade from standard.

Dodgy one
For the money though the 1144 isn't a bad choice though as an upgrade from standard.

I'l agree with you on that, So much so i've just bought my second set :)

I dont know why everyones getting so much squeeling though mine are pretty much silent

Evo 5 RS
I've covered 900 miles on my M1144s since fitting, and I think I've heard the faintest squeal maybe twice in that time.

Hoping they do ok on track at Llandow, I don't like fire.

Depends how hard you are on them Mark, you used to take your cup out a lot didn't you? If they don't smell like flange you're not trying hard enough :eek:. Theres a lot better out there but they're not too shabby, doubt you'll get any problems in those big calipers tbh

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Depends how hard you are on them Mark, you used to take your cup out a lot didn't you? If they don't smell like flange you're not trying hard enough :eek:. Theres a lot better out there but they're not too shabby, doubt you'll get any problems in those big calipers tbh

Thus far I'm astounded by the brakes as standard on the 200. Fresh fluid, new discs and these M1144s now in so hoping for good things on track.

So the target is flange smell without fire then.

225 Cup & Williams
Thus far I'm astounded by the brakes as standard on the 200. Fresh fluid, new discs and these M1144s now in so hoping for good things on track.

My brother has this setup on his 225 along with braided lines and the stopping power of them is mental. Couldn't tell you how they would do on track though.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

prob would have gone for the M1155 for track use. M1144 is definitely a road compound, but I don't bother with them much anymore really as standard replacement pagid pads are so superb

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
My DS2500's squeal like a b**ch at low speed, its really annoying but I use the race car excuse!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
prob would have gone for the M1155 for track use. M1144 is definitely a road compound, but I don't bother with them much anymore really as standard replacement pagid pads are so superb

They say not for road use on the packaging so they must have something to them over standard? Or is it just a compound change that gives them more initial bite so they feel stronger?

In the unknown here as my first outing in the 200 the standard 18k mile OEM setup held up ok, but then I was going a bit easy. Covered 9k miles now so will be asking a lot more next time.

220 Trophy
1144's are for lightweight cars like Caterhams etc, 1155's are for 'hot-hatches' etc, I’m running 1166's in my Willwoods and even then I’m thinking of putting something more aggressive in like the Mintex F4R.

225 Cup & Williams
1144's are for lightweight cars like Caterhams etc, 1155's are for 'hot-hatches' etc, I’m running 1166's in my Willwoods and even then I’m thinking of putting something more aggressive in like the Mintex F4R.

Why do they make 1144's for hot hatches then?

182, 6r GTi
Iv just shamferd the edges and I'm wondering shall I put groves in the centre of the pads ? Also put some anti squeal backing on them hoping this will cure it and also grease the pad retaining pins

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

not really true, there's a lot more to it than that.

220 Trophy
I spoke to Mintex (or whatever the parent company is called) when I needed some more aggressive pads for the Willwoods and had a lengthy conversation with the technical guy there, he said the 1144's are designed for lightweight circa 500kg cars like the Caterhams/Westfields etc, the 1155's are for hot-hatches etc and the 1166's are for heavier cars.

WRX
That really doesn't make sense. Think he was using the bull baffles brains philosophy.
They make them for bigger cars than Caterhams. My understanding is 1144s are basically a fast road pad.