ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mintex rear disk issue.

Clio sport 182
Bought a set of mintex rear disks and pads complete with abs rings and bearings from the net before Christmas.
Didn't fit them straight away as was mega busy with other customers cars.
Got round to fitting them and the offside went on a dream (as expected)
got to the other side and when putting disk on near side it slid on fine and as other side went to give it a spin and it was stiff but moving, spun (by hand) slightly more and it was catching on the hub!!!
tightened bolt up to the torque setting and tried to spin again hoping that may level bearing out, but no, tried by hand to force it and the bearing shattered. I took it off in a strop thinking it was just a bad bearing or fitted wrong.
like I say other side fine.
got it MOTed on Saturday and my tester went god seen this!! He had hold of the off side (side that was fine) wheel and could move it with about an inch of play!!! Bearing was quiet as a mouse when spun but its knackered!!
has any one else had an issue with these mintex bearing kits or is this common with the sports??

Clio sport 182
I put the old disc back on the near side that bust when turning, until I had a new bearing fitted in it. ( wasn't really much wrong with discs was just while I was changing pads thought what the hell) so that went back on an is still fine.
there was no spacers with kit and there wasn't anything on the hubs or old disks when removed and they both were identical in shape and size when I compared then to each other before fitting.
its wierd unless it just really was a s**t batch.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
There should be little spacers behind the discs. These should be on the car, (no discs come with them) they may have been thrown away by mistake by a previous owner. They can stick to the old discs on removal.

You need the spacers putting on before putting anymore discs on or the same will happen again to the bearings , what ever make of disc you buy

even worse it wears away at your stub axle as happened on my car when i purchased it and the bearings were sagged within 1k, luckily for me it was all repaired via the dealer

Clio sport 182
Gunna say now you mention it, on scenics an such with similar set up your right, all have a washer!! Darn it.
thanks for the advice guys :)

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
No problem, glad you're getting sorted

It happens a fair bit this. if a previous owner has thrown them away by accident, then you don't realise they are meant to be there until its too late unfortunately