ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Misfire? 1.5dci

Clio
Hi everyone
Bit of a random one here.

I’ve got an old 2005 clio 1.5dci which I’ve kept alongside our family car to use for tip runs and various little chores. It’s a good workhorse.

I had some ball joints replaced today. While driving home, after about 10 minutes of driving, while accelerating these lights appeared. As soon as I eased off the accelerator, they went out.
Change gear, accelerate and they come on while my foot is on on the pedal. As soon as I lift off, they go out.

As they come on, the car sort of misfires and stutters a bit for a split second.

I’ve had a google and seen so many different answers but none where the light is only coming on during acceleration.

I did fuel up before taking it to have the ball joints replaced if this makes any difference.

Never had this issue before. Spoken to my mechanic and he can’t see how it would be related to replacing the ball joints. I’m wondering if it was something in the diesel when I filled up?

Any advice appreciated.

IMG_5095.png

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Could be the diesel you've filled up with, seems plausible

Have you got anyone local with a decent code reader? It would give you a better indication where to start. I hated that little light when I had my old MK2 dCi🤣

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
That is the eml light. You need to scan it with can clip to see what codes are stored as could be several problems

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Glow plug fault does not trigger the eml, both of mine have it stored permanently.

Only fault that will chuck it into limp in that pic is DF071 which is faulty accelerator pedal.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Weird one that as the code you've got there is related to glowplugs

A simple, quick and cheap test is to replace the fuel filter. But just make sure to drain it before replacing and inspect for metal filings. If there's any flecks of gold/brass in there then the fuel pump is goosed and so is the rest of the fuel system

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Live data is your friend if you know what to look for.

Start with sensors, temp and stuff.

Then screen shot things before the fault and during…

I’m slowly learning to use my peepers on the data rather than the codes than often send me to the live data via a google anyways.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Audatex VHC2.
You need can clip ideally mate. Generic might not show up all the df codes.

Throttle pedal would be my first go to looking at that, had 2 fail putting it in limp intermittent over the years.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
when my high pressure pump went and started killing injectors this is what i was getting. It started only happening at 70mph then worked its way down until I couldn't do 40mph a few weeks later!

Clio
Well, it did it for about 24 hours after getting fuel, and then been absolutely fine ever since. I use the motorway every day, only 4 or 5 miles down one junction. It did it in 5th, was happy cruising by any accelerating would misfire and flash that light. When I left the motorway and changed down to 4th etc it was fine. After that, it’s never come on since in 2 weeks now.

04 clio extreme 4
Is the can clip worth it?

Can it, just as an example, show you injector timing? alternator output? oil pressure? If youve got pre ignition or blow by via the knock sensor (making assumptions, may sound very stupid)

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Clip logs every bit of live data the ecu supplies. No oil pressure as it only has a sensor for low pressure.

04 clio extreme 4
Clip logs every bit of live data the ecu supplies. No oil pressure as it only has a sensor for low pressure.

Has it got fuel pressure and can it flag a fault by comparing drop values upon individual injector firing? On an 05 mk2 with a d4f 722?

Last edited: