ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mk1 172 erratic idling

jus did my timing belt abt 9mths ago. of late, i observed that my revs remain at abt 1,500rpm whenever i come to a halt at a junction. a slight blip of the throttle will then result the revs to fall back to its usual 800rpm. anyone knows what's wrong with the car? timing belt? valves or ignition problem?

thanks mates for any advise.

330ci Conv
You can buy a new throttle cable for under £20 from Renault, just fitted a new one on my car. Well tricky but got there in the end

Israeli 172 ph1
I got the same problem and i dont think its the cable, its should be the throttle it self or the idiling sensor...

Megane R26
Had to replace my throttle cable as have fraid and was catching. Mobile bloke did it for a score, got a cable of £5 on ebay ;)

Just a case of fixing the new one to the old, and pulling, and some plain brute force....lol

on my way back earlier.... when i have my clutch depressed fully, the revs did not drop as it should be. so is this another tell tale sign that my cable is screwed???

*thumbs up*

Ph1
Could be the cable but it should be easy to tell by taking it off from the throttle body and seeing if it slides in and out easily.

It would have to be fraid pretty bad to stick.

What id do is when the revs rise, get out the car and make sure your throttle body disk (the bit the cables connected to) has gone back to the idle positon fully cos this can eliminate any leaks etc.

Mr2 Roadster
Did my cable but my throttle body is knackered so I'm replacing mine, £180 + Vat... :(

sent my car in today and jus received a call from Renault mechanic saying my TDC sensor needs replacement, so Andy J's spot on hah. was told my throttle body needs servicing as there was an accumulation of wax????? also, my recently replaced spark plugs were fouled up due to the irratic firing, so that needs to change too!!! Is Renault trying to pull a fast one on me after they lost out pole position in USA F1????

ok i'm so mad.... my local Renault service mechanics only know how to play pool and know nuts abt fixing things properly.
they replaced the tdc and pickup sensors, battery, cleaned my plugs and throttle body..... problem of sticky revs is still there. for example, i drop to a lower gear, say 2nd gear, when i clutch in, the revs shoot up to abt 2000rpm and stays there. revs will go back to normal idling only after a slight tap of the throttle pedal. can anyone pls help diagnose the prob?? btw, i was charged 32.50 for labour to have the battery changed!!what crap huh....

thanks!

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
tdc sensor.. Top dead centre.. also known as a crank sensor.

It basically keeps a note of what position the crankshaft is in (i.e where the pistons are realtive to the valves etc.) and can cause the engine not to run lumpy, missfire, not idle. etc etc.

i would have changed your battery for a fiver! ;)

Gaz

Flaming Inferno 225
Could be some things as simple as the hot weather mines been doing it of late during the day but at night its fine.