ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mk1 Valver running rough

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Hi guys, Been at this a while now! When starting its running with a missfire. Then when driven theres just no power, Like its struggling to breath kinda thing.

So far, I've changed Plugs, Leads, Coil pack, Distributer cap and 4 injectors. Have also cleaned the ICV and the TPS wires are all still in tact. Compression test shows all cylinders have compresion. 175 - 180ish over all 4.

When given a sharp rev it pops from the TB!

Heres a video of how it was running before, Its not as bad now when idling / running. I'm pretty stumped.

th_905C6777-CB1E-4077-BD13-532949270926-3136-0000042ED6397F18_zpsfabe38bb.jpg

th_47D36DFD-F28C-4F08-A97E-987205B8FF68-1654-00000167216F3196_zps7be6cf16.jpg

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Cheers
Stu

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
firing order you say?

When i was using it on the road, The only issue i had is if you were driving along, Or pulled away from a junction it bogged right down then rose very slowly. However, If you were to accelerate gently it would pull no problem.

After it being parked up for about 4/5 weeks it started but running like rough as tits!

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Fuel filter has also been changed, If that makes any differece!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
On my last williams, the rocker cover gasket was so fcuked that it used to douse the spark plugs in oil.

Once I changed it, it ran perfectly. (Well, as perfectly as an old french hatchback can be expected to run! lol)

225 Cup & Williams
Map/maf sensor what ever its called. There's a chance it might be that as I had similar problems with the Williams after accidentally cutting the cable to it.

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
On my last williams, the rocker cover gasket was so fcuked that it used to douse the spark plugs in oil.

Once I changed it, it ran perfectly. (Well, as perfectly as an old french hatchback can be expected to run! lol)

Good point, how are the plugs looking? Good/white/soaking in petrol or oil?

they looked a bit minging when it had sat for a bit. But had the plugs out today and cleaned in a spark plug cleaner. And adjusted all the gaps to suit the book. Had HT testers on aswell and all the leads are sparking as they should.

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Map/maf sensor what ever its called. There's a chance it might be that as I had similar problems with the Williams after accidentally cutting the cable to it.

This the one on the bulkhead with the vacume pipe going to it?

HBT 172 Cup
That doesnt sound like your typical valver missfire IMO. Sounds almost like the cambelt may have skipped a tooth, id be checking that.

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
That's the one mate.

Just changed that, Didn't make the slightest difference!

That doesnt sound like your typical valver missfire IMO. Sounds almost like the cambelt may have skipped a tooth, id be checking that.

Hmm. Whats the easyest way about checking it? How could it be caused as it only really got bad after it had been sitting up a while.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Are you sure you've not done something odd with the dizzy/dizzy cap/rotar arm? Or as I said the firing order, it does sound like its igniting when it shouldnt.