ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mk2 rear diffuser

Fabia VRS
Just wondering, but has anyone ever seen or come across one? quite interested to know what it would look like.

Thanks.

Fabia VRS
Yeh that's true, didn't know if someone had come up with a similar style bumper to the mk3 allowing a diffuser to fit on.

Are you after looks or down force?

No reason why you couldn't make a proper one to run from the start of the tank all the way to the back and up the bumper, either over the bumper or by cutting a bit out.

The only best effort seen is this from Jaff. thread on a megane though.

c5abe977.jpg

Three topics/people/projects come to mind:

1) An Eastern European chap on here has built a Super Touring spec Clio (used a Laguna BTCC t-car as a donor) which has a mental amount of GFRP/CFRP aero bolted to it. Bear in mind this is full race spec and therefore comes with the price tag of one-off composites...

2) A French chap on here with a white 182 painted, as tacky as it sounds, the central/lower part of his rear bumper matt black. IMO it looked great, though I think that's mostly down to the black/white contrast.

3) There was also a member who literally bought a 197/200 diffuser and, lots of money, cutting and gluing later it was attached to his Mk2 172 bumper. IIRC he took it off fairly quick as the mk3 rear is just too different a shape to the mk2 meaning the diffuser was too wide and chunky to "fit in." Also required a home-made modification to move the exhaust tips outwards by a foot or so.

As per above though, is this for looks or are you trying to make a home made aero pack for a 1.2 clio?!?!?!

Fabia VRS
Definitely not for the aero pro's!!! Just looking for something different that could potentially look good. I think i came across the white/black combination one not long ago, but then i don't think blue/black would look very good.

Found the super touring thread: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?586255-Clio-SuperTouring&highlight=super+touring+clio "Because race car" is rarely so appropriate:

attachment.jpg

White 182 thread: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...t-White-Pearl-quot&highlight=white+182+france (you can find the pics yourself xD )

Just did a search for "172 182 diffuser" and a fair few threads came up. Here's a "how not to make it look" which is a shame given the effort... http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...ear-bumper-PS-pics&highlight=diffuser+182+172

Fabia VRS
Thats a diffuser and a half on that race car lol. I love the look of the 'painted on diffuser' on the white clio, but mines an arctic blue, so don't think it would look right?

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
I'm currently fitting the 197/200 diffuser to my 172 and running a 200 exhaust system.. Going to be big work having to cut boot floor and install 182 floor panel. IMO not worth the time effort but I want to be different.. Il post pics when done..

Fabia VRS
im not too bothered about the 200 exhaust as its a 1.2, so would have to drop the 200 lump in lol. interested to see the pics tho mate!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Someone from Spain iorc fitted a mk3 diffuser to a Monaco 172, looked quite mint.

I think you should buy a 172 bumper (they're cheap) a mk3 diffuser, a pot of fibreglass and a pot of filler and go to town.

Cut below the bump strip off and fit the diffuser using the fibreglass and filler to join it. Drill and tap the wheel well and screw the diffuser to it. That'd be how I went about it if I was having a go :)

Fabia VRS
I like that idea, unfortunately I'm probably one of the worst people in the world for doing things like that. It would only end disastrously. However I have a mate who owns a bodyshop that might be up for giving it a go. Do you know how much the diffusers are?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Id never used filler or fibreglass before and managed to fit a 1*2 front bumper to a 1.4 Clio :)

Have a go, if you f**k it up, give it to your mate to fix :p

Someone on 197.net got a 200 bumper and diffuser for around £100 (lucky fucker) but I've seen them go for much more. Just keep an eye out on eBay and at renparts :)

Fabia VRS
Yeh but i'm generally dreadful with all things even slightly manual, that might require a bit of common sense. Ah thats not too bad, i'll keep an eye out!

Fabia VRS
ive got my 182 one but ill get one when im gonna do it, dont fancy trashing it and driving around with the rear end hanging out.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Just like to add I did ths on my megane as above and it very nearly broke me!

Trying to mesh the 2 together is a nightmare and although I'm unfamiliar with the Clio I had to cut my wheel well out on my megane so I wouldn't be surprised if you had to do he same

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Cut wheel well out, got some sheet metal and welded it in place of the big hole.

Cut bumper roughly, used lots of tape to stick the diffuser to it, put it on and off the car 10000 times to check for fitments before using brackets and fibreglass to bond them together, I then took it to a body shop to get it painted.

Costs:
Diffuser - bargain at £100
sandpaper and fibreglass- about £80 worth
brackets - £10
paint £250 + £150 after long life broke it when fitting the exhaust that I had custom made to fit the cutouts

Fabia VRS
Ah right, thanks for that. after seeing the costs i doubt it'l be worth doing. I might just photoshop a painted on diffuser similar to the one in the white 182 thread and see what it looks like on blue.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Unfortunately it's not cheap, the diffusers go for about £200 on a good day but I managed to find one on eBay for half that.

Looks great if it's done properly though!

Fabia VRS
Ah right, and on top of that i need to source another bumper temporarily. If someone had already done a good job i could see i suppose i'd be more inclined to try it myself. but costs don't seem to weigh up for the looks in my head!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
The only car I would suggest giving it a go on Clio wise is a 182 or a trophy. Because they have no wheel well it's just a case of moulding the 2 together then and fitting it

Fabia VRS
Could you not bolt it around the wheel well? Plus ive got the 182 replica exhaust so im assuming that'll cause more problems. Yeh same as in that picture is what im going for! quite like it actually. Only i'd want the exhaust tips to stick out so not sure how that would fit either.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
The replica exhaust shouldn't be a problem :) I cant comment on the wheel well/diffuser heights off the top of my head. The best thing you could do would be to just offer it up and see if you can bolt the diffuser to the well :)

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
That blue clio is a 182 I think as it has the centre exhaust meaning it doesn't have a wheel well so there are no fitment issues.

You can cut it around the wheel well yeah but it may stick out the bottom them and look pap

Knuckles yes £80 on fibreglass and filler. 6 pots of fibreglass that's nearly £60 ;) there really isn't a lot in those pots :p