ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK4 Astra GSI Chavvy boost bus

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Haven't posted any photos of the new toy since the clio went bang over 6 months ago. These are the first decent shots of it I've taken really.

Already had a new engine in it after the turbo water pipe got blocked doing serious speed and it fried the headgasket plus whatever other damage it might of done. Haven't had chance to take the head off yet. Being a Vauxhall though I was able to source a new engine very cheap that had full history, cambelt/waterpump etc all done for £250. So Tunst took me for that and 2 weeks later it was back on the road. Had a new fancy C20LET clutch fitted good for 400ftlbs at the same time. So back on the road with a fresh engine, all fluids changed and a clutch for less than £500! Bargain.

Took it for a good blast out over the Lakes at the weekend with a friend in his Evo IX FQ360, done 140ish mile via Alston, Hartisde, Ullswater and then home via Honister slate mine. Excuse the pictures, only my 2nd time using a dslr!

It drove awesome, first real abuse its had on back roads with the Bilstein coilovers and new engine fitted, certainly do not miss the Clio. The only difference being when on these B roads when you overtake someone you end up carrying far more speed into corners etc. But it just eats them up no problem at all. Can't wait to get a diff fitted, should be even better!

Tax is around the same price, and fuel is better when on a run. Averages around 300-320 mile to £63 of Ultimate/Vpower and it gets driven fairly hard most of the time. Have had 415 out of a tank on a decent run, even then it was still sat at 80-90 a lot of the time.

Its current mods are:

Astra vxr turbo
3inch custom 1 piece downpipe from Meercat Exhausts
2.5inch Cobra catback - awful quality but was already fitted when I bought it. Will be going in the bin soon for a Meercat 3inch fancy baffle system
Bilstein Coilovers
4 x Pirelli Pzero Nero
EBC Grooved discs with Yellowstuff pads
PIAA Headlight bulbs
Speedline SL2 17x7.5 alloys
OPC front grille

I also have a development Intercooler sat at home from Airtec awaiting pipework to be made so I can trial fit that :cool:

Then once insurance renewal comes round in March with Greenlight I can add VXR injectors, 80maff, Pipercross crossover delete and then send it to RS Tuning where it should just about do 300bhp/360ftlbs.

Spare engine will be getting forged and hopefully run a K06 or a GT28 for 350/370bhp.

12465602765_91b6357552_z.jpg

IMG_0066

12465755793_3f12298d54_z.jpg

IMG_0072

12465585225_dbfa457a42_z.jpg

IMG_0073

12465538365_bcbb0f066d_z.jpg

IMG_0101

12466042924_c9f67a4497_z.jpg

IMG_0102

12466036314_f7a4f864d1_z.jpg

IMG_0103

12465692573_7255a78ea5_z.jpg

IMG_0104

12466009694_e81843b1d6_z.jpg

IMG_0126

12465476775_93aec0c93a_z.jpg

IMG_0136

12465619893_cf4cb2f291_z.jpg

IMG_0148

12465937034_bbeb5a1de4_z.jpg

IMG_0153

12465614643_d967fd614a_z.jpg

IMG_0149

12465608793_5c90885883_z.jpg

IMG_0150

12465544613_dc5b62acd3_z.jpg

IMG_0167

12465526693_545c371885_z.jpg

IMG_0171

Did you go down "the struggle" in the end? Looks like decent weather at the moment. Dad was coming back last night and said it was pretty ropey on Kirkstone Pass.

Oh, and sorry but don't like the car.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Like it mate. Wheels are lovely. Not massively keen on the opel grill.

I really don't know why but I love these. Probably as my mate had a rapid one when we were younger. I feel like its a guilty pleasure for some reason though..lol

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Looks tidy, and quite nice for an astra! What power is it running?

I bought it being sold as standard, but it certainly pulls well. Will happily do the clock lol.

Need it on some rollers just to check new engine is healthy anyway. Although the last engine the actuator wasn't opening fully so thats maybe why this engine feels much quicker.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Did you go down "the struggle" in the end? Looks like decent weather at the moment. Dad was coming back last night and said it was pretty ropey on Kirkstone Pass.

Oh, and sorry but don't like the car.

Yeah went down that part. Was fairly clear at the weekend so had a good run. Although since then the weather has been awful and put a lot of snow down by looks of it on mountain tops.

Thats fine, a lot of people just see it as an astra with a big spoiler lol.

I hate that both cars have terrible looking wheels on them. I hope they're winter ones etc (dunno if they are though)

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
To be fair as much as i dont like the Mk4 Astra this kinda makes me want one haha!

I'd say get one bought but they seem to have shot up in value at the moment. I keep getting tempted just to put mine on to make money on but I know I couldn't replace with anything as fun for the same money.

Like it mate. Wheels are lovely. Not massively keen on the opel grill.

I really don't know why but I love these. Probably as my mate had a rapid one when we were younger. I feel like its a guilty pleasure for some reason though..lol

Cheers! The wheels were to cheap to pass up on, a friend bought them for his Corsa vxr and decided after 2 minutes he didn't like them so I got them for half the price he paid lol.

I love the grille, far better than the awful standard one, need to switch the rear badge and steering wheel to an Opel badge too! Plus the Mrs paid for the grille so even better!

Yeah I can't wait until mine is 300bhp. A friend has one at 300 and its so much fun.

I hate that both cars have terrible looking wheels on them. I hope they're winter ones etc (dunno if they are though)

That's amusing, Craig - the wheels are the only parts I like and love the Evo wheels. We can't all have good taste, eh boyo ;)

Turbo 182 Alfa 159

Nope not winter wheels haha! I love the wheels but everyone has different tastes.

Evo wheels are the standard wheels, will be changed soon for Turinis. They look much better in person though.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers! The wheels were to cheap to pass up on, a friend bought them for his Corsa vxr and decided after 2 minutes he didn't like them so I got them for half the price he paid lol.

I love the grille, far better than the awful standard one, need to switch the rear badge and steering wheel to an Opel badge too! Plus the Mrs paid for the grille so even better!

Yeah I can't wait until mine is 300bhp. A friend has one at 300 and its so much fun.

My mates was 350/350 and def needed a diff -

133_25908925056_2480_n.jpg

He ended up selling it for a brand new VXR and regretted it..

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
My mates was 350/350 and def needed a diff -
He ended up selling it for a brand new VXR and regretted it..

That looks lovely! I wanted a Flame red one but only approx 25 in the UK from new so very hard to come by.

Seen on the other day sell for £6k! Granted it had a full rebuild and forged but still. I paid less than half that for mine!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
That looks lovely! I wanted a Flame red one but only approx 25 in the UK from new so very hard to come by.

Seen on the other day sell for £6k! Granted it had a full rebuild and forged but still. I paid less than half that for mine!

That rare? I knew there wasn't many. The guy he bought it from bought it back off him as soon as it was up for sale..

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
That rare? I knew there wasn't many. The guy he bought it from bought it back off him as soon as it was up for sale..

Not surprising, very rare colour.

Although the gsi as a whole is getting rarer, too many get broken for bits these days.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
I miss my old V6 Vectra. Still got my trade card at Vauxhall too.

Parts seem very reasonably priced from Vauxhall! New Astra vxr turbo after sending old one back is still under £400, genuine Xenon headlights which I plan on purchasing are less than £400 too!

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Service parts for the Vectra were stupidly cheap on trade. Genuine parts, like oil filters for £1, You could get 4x 5ltr bottles of oil for under £40. I could service the Vectra myself with all genuine parts for around £70 tops.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I actually like these! Any known issues? I'm away to hunt pistonheads. Has to be Arden blue though..

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
I actually like these! Any known issues? I'm away to hunt pistonheads. Has to be Arden blue though..

Standard turbo is made of cheese, but 99% all have Astra vxr turbos now so not as much of an issue unless its been mapped by an idiot.

Valve stem oil seals towards/after 100k can make them smoke a bit on startup/idle but companies will sort this for £200 unless you can do it yourself.

Not much else to look out for to be honest, engine parts are cheap so any faults can generally be repaired for next to nothing.

Climate control & Shark eyes (xenons) were rare options so its nice to try find one with them. I couldn't find either so will be fitting xenons myself.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Nice one mate. Love how cheap an engine was, insane.

Yeah I was too. Obviously that was minus box and turbo but still had throttle body and inlet manifold etc and it was immaculate too.

£1000 will get you a fully forged one with all receipts for proof of work etc.

Cambelt kit is £60, literally less than hour for fitting whilst engine is in the car. lol

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
try as I might, I really just don't 'get' Vauxhalls at all

which is weird as my dad's always had them, maybe that's why?

best I can say is it looks a clean enough example :)

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Im browsing ebay now you bellend...

Not going to buy one.. Just Browsing..

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I really really like these. Wanted the turbo coupe a few years ago but was put off because I had an astra van for work. Yours looks lovely mate!

Really do like these regardless of their chav chariot status. Really good looking car with lots of potential for power. My mate has one and he often complains it's pretty understeery when pushing on.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Really do like these regardless of their chav chariot status. Really good looking car with lots of potential for power. My mate has one and he often complains it's pretty understeery when pushing on.

Hmm mine was a little on s**t tyres and cheap gmax 60mm springs but now on Bilsteins and good tyres it doesn't at all, it's far easier engaging lift off oversteer haha!

Pushed it fairly hard on its run out and it was just lovely to be hooning around in.

Yeah engine has huge potential, even forging them Isn't a huge expense with it being such a common engine.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
  Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Im browsing ebay now you bellend...

Not going to buy one.. Just Browsing..

Bought one yet? ;)

Really like that Ben :cool:

Cheers mate! Everytime I see you i'm never in my own car ha!

I really really like these. Wanted the turbo coupe a few years ago but was put off because I had an astra van for work. Yours looks lovely mate!

Yeah the chav image they have is funny.

Listerine & Poledo
I was looking at one of them recently, until I saw the interior, which looked like the 80s never ended.

I'd still be in on a MSD Vectra GSi though.