ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

modified cars safer

i was well bored jus now, so i thort i mite clean my car.

Well one thing led 2 another n i ended up puttin my old steelies back on (after driving for 5000miles on 205,40,17 toyo proxes) n took my car for a spin. i went to test the grip of the tyres in the wet with a firm brake and my wheels locked up, quite surprising how easy it was! Then around the corners my wheels were slippin n slidin everywhere!

So put my toyos back on in a flash!

It jus goes to show that when uv modified ur car, u take much more for granted, like braking later and entering corners faster.

i think i wud probably kill myself if i went back to a standard car, modified cars are by far much safer when it comes to braking and avoiding hazards!

i dont think having a modified car encourages you to go faster when going from A to B, but on a sunny day in the country side then, yes. but thats jus my view, plus i cant afford to drive fast with the price of petrol!

lol! my gramps drives a volvo estate, he drives so slow that he should be a funeral driver!

i once got over taken by an old granny, whilst learning to drive! :oops:

Some mods make the car safer, like better brakes, but some mods like suspension mods can make ur car a death trap, Ive heard of a few cars going off the road due to incorrect suspension setups, ive always been reluctant to modify my suspension.

Ken

MKII Vee

how can better brakes increase stopping distances ?? surely if just the front are better then you will stop quicker

Brake System

Front tire force
at limit braking

Available rear tire
braking force

Total
stopping force

Stock

1,245 lbs

698 lbs

1, 943 lbs

Front Pads

1,245 lbs

511 lbs

1,756 lbs

Front Rotor and Pads

1,245 lbs

428 lbs

1,673 lbs

All Four Rotors and Pads

1,245 lbs

711 lbs

The main reason for brake upgrades is heat related, and fook all to do with stopping distances!

If u want to stop quicker, run slicks!

Ken

MKII Vee

um, sorry to sound thick but what does that prove ? doesnt it say if your rear brakes are better youll stop quicker.

Quote: Originally posted by Ken on 06 June 2003

how can better brakes increase stopping distances ?? surely if just the front are better then you will stop quicker
your now asking a different question to what u started with!

the point im trying to make is, weight transfer is a MAJOR factor, not just boshing on 300mm discs and high performance pads.........

um, how can the fronts be a constant whilst being the only parts that change?

Its just pointing out that your tyres are the limiting factor.

Also, how does the rear coheision change?

Surely if the front available braking force is a constant due to the tyre, no matter what setup your running your limited to this "poundage" so the amount of weight transfer will not change because your still at the same limit.........the pads and discs will prevent fade and effort being lost. Thats totally contradictory!

i think there trying to point out that, a increased brake bias to the front will make for a light back end, reducing rear cohesion!

but, as you say, the front grip avalible should be constant regardless of front setup!

but thats just it, the bias hanst changed.....if the front force is constant, then the rear force as a result wont change either, if the front increased then i could accept a rear decrease, but it doesnt happen.........

is there small text saying they jummped on teh pedal at different rates? lol