ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Monaco 172 Track Car

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
10/05/2022

Oil and filter
122,619 miles

Probably one of the last oil and filters this engine will see. I'm hoping that this autumn I'll be able to build my Frankenstein engine

Genuine filter and Helix 5w40, this engine has had this oil for the past 20k. Done it zero harm so far

20220510_110917.jpg
20220510_121310.jpg

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Part 1 of 2

Started the day, loaded all the tools in the Clio and set off to work. I've had the week off work and I said I wanted to at least get the cage in this week

Started pulling things apart, seats and plastics out which took about 45 mins as I needed help for the middle 4 nuts. Decided. it would be best to run the battery cable for the relocation now so ran some 40mm² cable

Went to cut a hole in the grommet for the bonnet pull😑😑

20220519_121158.jpg

This is the attempt at wiring the alarm installer did. What a c**t, a total c**t

20220519_121848.jpg
20220519_122256.jpg

Got the grommet pushed back in with a slit cut to feed the cabling through. Put some 25mm backbox grommets and split conduit over the battery cable to avoid any chaffing

20220519_125835.jpg

Holes drilled for the battery tray and rivnuts stuck in

20220519_141253.jpg

Cage spreader plates weren't painted so painted them with some truck bed liner paint. Good stuff that is

20220519_163456.jpg

Cage put in, ratchet strapped into place, holes drilled, bolts and washers either side and done... Sounds simple yeah, still took me 2 hours🙃🤣

20220519_201300.jpg

The finished product is spot on though. I bought this cage before covid kicked off and it's been sat at work since. The paint is mint, it pretty much matches Monaco blue which I never asked for but they must have liked me

Spreader plates

20220519_195556.jpg

Bolts look long but they're not visible side on. Had to trim this spreader plate as it was mahoosive and wouldn't fit with the seam for the back seat

20220519_195607.jpg

Drilled a hole for the crotch harness strap, shoved an eyelet and spreader plate on. Got it as close to central as the chassis legs would allow

20220519_195547.jpg

Continued...

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Battery cable at the bay side is just ticked up and taped at the minute. I forgot my hydraulic crimper so couldn't get it fitted in the back

20220519_200929.jpg

Spreader plate for the rear legs was fitted, it's physically impossible to drill the remaining hole unless you use a 45ft long drillbit so it got left. 2 x M10 bolts is plenty tbqfh

20220519_195632.jpg

So with the cage installed I hoovered up the bits in the car, loaded all my tools and then went to go home...

IMG-20220519-WA0005.jpeg

Car had other ideas like

So I had the electronic fault light illuminated, wasn't there before but I've been f**king around with the alarm and wiring. s**t

Car would crank until the cows came home but no firing. Checked all UCH relays and wiring, nothing. Checked the alarm cabling and wiring, nothing. Checked the ECU wiring, nothing. Checked big white plug and fuses in the engine bay...

20220519_205832.jpg

Bingo

Replace fuse, start car, drive home

No Kyle, don't be silly

So this was already a 12 hour day for me, starting to get tired and just annoyed now. Absolutely shattered and just hanging on by sheer annoyance and wanting to be home. Replacing the fuse and nothing again. Checked big white plug and all relays again but not the fuse this time. Went to crank and immobiliser was f**king about, so in messing with the white plug I've made a new issue🙃

Check it again, check the fuse again... Blown. Right so that fuse is for lambda, coil pack, injectors and fuel pump. I'd been messing moving the lambda wiring earlier on as well as the brake lines for putting the cage in. Checked those over and all looked fine, so that was 45 mins crawling around on the floor. Checked the coil pack wiring as it was easy, looks good. Injectors I didn't check as I hadn't been anywhere near.

It then dawned on me that the fuel pump wiring runs across the base of the rear bench. So surely I must have nicked something when installing the cage, maybe squashed it or something

So I check to see if the wiring is snagged and it was a bit tight near the battery tray I'd just put in. Take the tray out and checked the wiring, looked okay apart from a tiny witness mark and a very very tiny s**t mark on the back of the carpet when something had clearly shorted out which you can see

IMG-20220519-WA0014.jpeg

Terrible pic as I was not in the mood as this point but in there are 2 light brown wires to the fuel pump that had been squashed when I tightened the battery tray down. Stupid fat c**t Kyle

Anyway, I went full 🥧 🔑 mode and this is how I "fixed" the issue

20220519_222605.jpg

Now I was in another world of s**t though. I'd used up all my spare 30A blade fuses knobbing about...

20220519_215131.jpg

No mate, that's not it🤣🤣🤣

'borrowed' the fuse for the rear heated screen, cranked over for a few seconds and then it burled into life. Thank f**k

I'll get round to replacing those Wagos at some point. It's a proper horrid hack but it worked and got me home, where I now sit on the toilet telling strangers I've never met how I ruined my car... Instead of having a shower and going to f**king bed🤣

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Battery cable at the bay side is just ticked up and taped at the minute. I forgot my hydraulic crimper so couldn't get it fitted in the back

View attachment 1593829

Spreader plate for the rear legs was fitted, it's physically impossible to drill the remaining hole unless you use a 45ft long drillbit so it got left. 2 x M10 bolts is plenty tbqfh

View attachment 1593830

So with the cage installed I hoovered up the bits in the car, loaded all my tools and then went to go home...

View attachment 1593831

Car had other ideas like

So I had the electronic fault light illuminated, wasn't there before but I've been f**king around with the alarm and wiring. s**t

Car would crank until the cows came home but no firing. Checked all UCH relays and wiring, nothing. Checked the alarm cabling and wiring, nothing. Checked the ECU wiring, nothing. Checked big white plug and fuses in the engine bay...

View attachment 1593832

Bingo

No Kyle, don't be silly

So this was already a 12 hour day for me, starting to get tired and just annoyed now. Absolutely shattered and just hanging on by sheer annoyance and wanting to be home. Replacing the fuse and nothing again. Checked big white plug and all relays again but not the fuse this time. Went to crank and immobiliser was f**king about, so in messing with the white plug I've made a new issue🙃

Check it again, check the fuse again... Blown. Right so that fuse is for lambda, coil pack, injectors and fuel pump. I'd been messing moving the lambda wiring earlier on as well as the brake lines for putting the cage in. Checked those over and all looked fine, so that was 45 mins crawling around on the floor. Checked the coil pack wiring as it was easy, looks good. Injectors I didn't check as I hadn't been anywhere near.

It then dawned on me that the fuel pump wiring runs across the base of the rear bench. So surely I must have nicked something when installing the cage, maybe squashed it or something

So I check to see if the wiring is snagged and it was a bit tight near the battery tray I'd just put in. Take the tray out and checked the wiring, looked okay apart from a tiny witness mark and a very very tiny s**t mark on the back of the carpet when something had clearly shorted out which you can see

View attachment 1593833

Terrible pic as I was not in the mood as this point but in there are 2 light brown wires to the fuel pump that had been squashed when I tightened the battery tray down. Stupid fat c**t Kyle

View attachment 1593834

Now I was in another world of s**t though. I'd used up all my spare 30A blade fuses knobbing about...

View attachment 1593837

'borrowed' the fuse for the rear heated screen, cranked over for a few seconds and then it burled into life. Thank f**k

I'll get round to replacing those Wagos at some point. It's a proper horrid hack but it worked and got me home, where I now sit on the toilet telling strangers I've never met how I ruined my car... Instead of having a shower and going to f**king bed🤣
Looks like a permanent fix that to me.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
I can you imagine the obscurity of the obscenity pouring out of your dirty potty mouth…. I’d have just locked the piece of s**t up in the garage and ignored it. Which is exactly what I have done. Cunting thing

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I can you imagine the obscurity of the obscenity pouring out of your dirty potty mouth…. I’d have just locked the piece of s**t up in the garage and ignored it. Which is exactly what I have done. Cunting thing
I would have done that Dave, but the Megane is in Wigan and the Clio is my only car. Plus I was at work doing this as I have nice flat ground and my cage was there🤣🤣

I was fully prepared to sleep there

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
I would have done that Dave, but the Megane is in Wigan and the Clio is my only car. Plus I was at work doing this as I have nice flat ground and my cage was there🤣🤣

I was fully prepared to sleep there
Well if you are ever stuck somewhere mate and need a lift, give me a call…I mean I won’t come, but i always appreciate the laugh.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Came out to the car this morning. Started and cut out

Spent at least 30 mins checking everything and checking again

I'll let the videos speak for the car

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Drivers side shaft is fucked more than your dad's arsehole on a Saturday

Shaft rocks about all over and the vibrations coming out of left handers are mega🤣

Ordered a shaftec 2 piece on eBay for £120. Went into the garage and dug out a bearing carrier. Gonna ditch the PH1 shaft, when I put it in originally it was because I had it in the garage and my 2 piece was shagged on the inner cv

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
New shaftec shaft arrived yesterday, overall it looks EXACTLY how Renault intended them to be so a direct refurbishment of an OEM shaft, not like J&R and others that are just s**t copies

Got my spare bearing support cleaned up and set to swap it this morning at work

20220609_114201.jpg

Took me about 15 mins to get the old shaft out, I love on a JC5 that the driver's shaft is an splined exterior to the box so no f**king about was needed

I know I showed the outer CV on the vid last time but here's the main culprit 😂

20220609_115001.jpg

New shaft and bearing carrier in, you can see how wet the back of the block is with cv grease #RustProofing

20220609_123831.jpg

The new shaft is the same as my old one in terms of ABS rings. The TRW balljoint fitted is mega long for some reason but after a few rotations the ring should self clearance like the old one did 👀 😂

20220609_123843.jpg

A short video demonstrating how flogged the old one was. No wonder it vibrated and rattled like a skeleton with Parkinsons having a w**k in a celebrations tin

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Found some dirt cheap PBS rear pads for the Clio, it currently has some 3 year old PBS ProRaces in there that still have some life left but not a lot. Needed to stock up before booking some trackdays, they were only ProTrack but for £40 posted I wasn't gonna grumble...

20220610_155829.jpg

It's the little wins in life that give you hope, ProRace ones are a tad more expensive for these. They stand up to heat a lot better too but I'll learn from my mistakes this time round. I'll whip them off when I'm done with driving the car and it's sorn'd over winter to avoid them turning into apple crumble. Got plenty of Brembo pads already in spare carriers to lob on

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
  various
Found some dirt cheap PBS rear pads for the Clio, it currently has some 3 year old PBS ProRaces in there that still have some life left but not a lot. Needed to stock up before booking some trackdays, they were only ProTrack but for £40 posted I wasn't gonna grumble...

View attachment 1596946

It's the little wins in life that give you hope, ProRace ones are a tad more expensive for these. They stand up to heat a lot better too but I'll learn from my mistakes this time round. I'll whip them off when I'm done with driving the car and it's sorn'd over winter to avoid them turning into apple crumble. Got plenty of Brembo pads already in spare carriers to lob on
Rear brakes do next to f**k all on a clio anyways so for £40 sorted lad

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182

View attachment 1593829

View attachment 1593830

View attachment 1593831

Car had other ideas like

View attachment 1593832

Bingo

No Kyle, don't be silly

View attachment 1593833

View attachment 1593834

View attachment 1593837

Im late to the party but this is by far the best update to a project thread I’ve ever read. The spiteful little french c**t tried to beat you but you were even more of a spiteful c**t and made it run. Top f**king work. I’d of burnt it out 😂

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Big updates inbound. Bear with me whilst I type all of these out

Update 1

Booked the week off work because I have a lot of things to get done to the Clio in order to get it ready for CSF

Monday

Went down to my mum and dad's to press wheel bearings into my roll centre hubs. My dad has a decent press and it makes things so much easier

20220627_122906.jpg
20220627_123319.jpg

Started cleaning up all the mounting surfaces with my new favourite tool

20220627_124703.jpg

All done

20220627_125054.jpg

Tuesday

Set out to get everything stripped down. Everything including the shocks, hubs, subframe, gearbox, clutch, flywheel, shafts, top mounts, coolant hoses, airbox, battery ECU etc

Done. Took me about 4.5 hours to get it all stripped down

20220628_141112.jpg

20220628_155344.jpg
20220628_144156.jpg

I struggled for 30 mins with 1 of the subframe bolts that decided to round itself to fuckery. Oh and that 509 mile old driveshaft I got the other week...

20220628_123445.jpg

20220628_124058.jpg

Pissed off, sent it back and bought a new one. The last one in the country to be exact🥲🤣

After getting everything stripped I set the gazebo up because it was meant to rain all week and I don't fancy getting piss wet

20220628_200429.jpg

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Wednesday

Found out that my car had a clutch just before I got it which was a genuine Renault Valeo and has been perfect. So that got put back on

New lightened flywheel with new genuine bolts

20220629_114115.jpg

Nah I didn't send it, I used the proper tool which was calibrated and has been sat in the box waiting for this day. 55nm

20220629_115503.jpg

Paint pen'd up

20220629_121618.jpg

Cleaned the clutch pressure plate up with the die grinder

20220629_121359.jpg

New clutch cover bolts, torqued to 20nm and paint pen'd

20220629_124815.jpg

New clutch release bearing, genuine Nissan item and part number in the pic for anyone else. They're the same across all JC5 boxes

20220629_141116.jpg

Gearbox in, was a right f**k about on my own but I got there in the end

20220629_155829.jpg

Started messing around to get the top mount bearings out, no press this time, just a lot of skill and strength with a vice on a f**king hop up🙃🤣

20220629_112108.jpg

New bearings in

20220629_112855.jpg

Continued in next post

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Old top mount bearings were shag-arsed, the 2nd top mount in the video shows what effort it should take to move the bearing🤣

With all that done I started cleaning up a few shoddy looking bits whilst they were off

Shocks before

20220629_135458.jpg

After

20220629_171034.jpg

Old shaft on the left Vs the one I had in the garage which I believe is from a PH1. Not sure but it's way beefier

20220629_131926.jpg

New coolant hoses on with Mikalor clamps, a new expansion tank and the Renault fruit juice

20220629_170759.jpg

Set about cleaning the subframe, jetwashed it all down to get rid of the s**t, then degreased it, scrubbed it to f**k and jetted it again after

No before pic but imagine 10x more CV grease. Come to think of it I gave it another hit after this with some heavier duty degreaser and it came up a tad better

20220630_102553.jpg

With the subframe cleaned I let it to dry and got cleaning other bits here and there. Airbox was a bit acky so that got a good wash too

20220630_151848.jpg

Took the gold plug out of the gearbox too and gave that a wipe.

20220630_152951.jpg

Something I've not mentioned yet is the box itself. I bought it from the ever lovely @nath&alex some time ago but I've not had the time to fit it. Nath got resident gearbox bellend @NorthloopCup to rebuild it a while back. I'm not entirely sure on exact spec but it's a JC5-129 with a Quaife LSD and all new bits and pieces inside bar the gearset. I think Nath mentioned that it had a Megane 5th gear too

Filled the gearbox with £80 worth of fresh fluid, as a northerner it hurt paying over £25 a bottle for less than 1 litre

20220630_153212.jpg

I was in a cleaning mood so all the bolts got some die grinder action

fotor_1656794723670.jpg

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Thursday

Got the subframe back onto the car, Christ it took the piss. Mainly because my driveway is as smooth as the moon so moving the jack resulted in the subframe falling in my face several times as it slipped off

Despite being attacked by the subframe I got it back up on my own without dying.

I then spent the next few hours slowly adding more and more parts to the car

20220630_161240.jpg

20220630_155051.jpg

ECU, battery, battery tray all back in. Gave the battery cover a wipe with brake cleaner on a rag...

20220630_155137.jpg

Bruh. Looks like I'm refreshing the top quality podwercoat with some satin black then🤣

fotor_1656794856739.jpg

Cleaned and painted the ARB brackets too

fotor_1656794801793.jpg

Better

20220701_105624.jpg

Refreshed some of the hardware

20220701_121020.jpg
20220701_112858.jpg

Sealed the exhaust back up with some nice mastic. People joke and laugh but the proper gasket is f**king s**t and mastic is the cheapest and best way of sealing an exhaust. Never ever had an issue sealing an exhaust with mastic🤣

20220701_133002.jpg

I then set about test fitting my Brembos

20220701_142308.jpg

The wheels clear with loads of room

Continued in next post

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Friday

So I kept test fitting the Brembos but the pads were way too far forward on the disc which would mean a hug lip and wasted braking surface area.

Even after cleaning the mating surface there was still 3mm+- to take off in order to get the pads in the right spot

20220701_143059.jpg
20220701_143309.jpg

20220701_162803.jpg

I stuck them in the handheld lathe to take a few mm off which got them spot on!

20220701_155701.jpg

The list started to take shape at this point and I really did have quite a lot of things ticked off

IMG-20220701-WA0018.jpeg

The Lemark ABS sensors turned up around half 1 so I got them put in with some new bolts. Along with the roll centre rack ends and wheel studs

20220701_145109.jpg

Sexy. A big thanks to @Clio_fool for making me these brackets about 3 years ago🤣 The fitment of them is perfect and all the hardware is overengineered to chuff much like the hubs from Mark

20220702_152439.jpg

Continued in next post

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Saturday

Didn't really get a whole load of pics today

So @Louis came over at about half 10 to help me set up the PMS shifter I'd I stalled on Friday. They're an absolute fuckstick to set up on your bill so having 2 people is a must

Louis had set his own up not too long back so knows literally everything about them and what needs to be what. We ended up straight away removing and flipping the bolt around under the shifter tower because it fouled the exhaust tunnel. He then swapped the dog one bolt around as it was fouling that too🤣

about an hour or so messing about and we got it perfect! It felt so silky smooth and genuinely makes the car feel like something proper, not just a floppy pathetic gearstick dangling about

Louis then shoved a thick o-ring under the shifter sleeve to alieviate small rattles. And then he got the interior back together to make it one again, whilst I farted about doing something else, probably thumbing my arse

We then set about doing all the other jobs on the list. My rack boots arrived at about half 1 and I could get those on and put the NS track rod end on to complete everything mechanical being together. I originally got a SMI rack boot, but I run a dCi rack which uses smaller and longer boots which are way different. After it got put back together, torqued and pain pen'd everything we turned to the Brembos and got those on with some new lines from BRT Motorsport. They bled up really easy, we gravity bled them, then chucked the eezibleed on and then hit it with a good old fashioned 2 man method.

received_5217929744909340.jpeg

After than we got it back down on all 4 wheels after making sure everything was ticked off

20220702_175046.jpg

received_574876150889799.jpeg

I tested the brakes out and they felt just fine, there's a slight amount of travel at the top but Louis made a very good point that there's now 8 pistons worth of travel as opposed to just the 2. Took it out to Tesco to get fuel and it feels so mint now. The shifter really is the biggest improvement so far as I've not driven it in anger, it feels wicked and is buttery smooth. I pushed it into a little corner and I could feel the diff really engage, so much so that I had to give up halfway through for fear of going into the back of a golf in front. Liftoff oversteer is now a real thing!🤣

I've got tracking booked in with Chong from Atec Align on Monday the 11th as the steering wheel is comically f**king kiltered🤣

Cheers for reading, here's a couple more pics

20220702_201816.jpg
20220702_201843.jpg
20220702_201832.jpg

List of things changed

Quaife gearbox
TTV lightened flywheel
Flywheel bolts, clutch cover bolts
Top mount bearings
PMS shifter
Brembos
New discs and pads
NLC/Bridgecraft Roll centre hubs
New stud and nuts
Expansion tank
MTC coolant hoses
Fresh type D and redline MTL
Drivers side driveshaft
Release bearing
Wheel bearings

Cheers for reading, probably loads I've missed but it's been a busy week🤣

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
One thing I did forget yesterday

The R clips for the Mr Pink pins. 2 mins to jack the car up, take the wheel off and stick some in. I bought a cheap set from Amazon after losing 3 of these f**king things🤣 The pads would probably never come out but for piece of mind why would you not put them in!

20220703_112440.jpg
20220703_112824.jpg

These are the size of the clips I used

20220703_132509.jpg

Quick pic of the inside with the shifter in. Not the best pic mind

20220703_110113.jpg

Just an update about everything done to the car so far.

TTV flywheel, you can noticeably tell it's there just from starting the car. The starter engages and it's fired before you can blink, the engine turns so incredibly well now there's not an additional 2kg rolling about. Couple that with the AC and PAS removed it slingshots it's way to 7.5krpm in the first 3 gears. I've noticed the clutch is silky smooth and so easy to depress now too

PMS shifter. Louis did a mint job on this, it's set up millimetre perfect and effortless to get into gear. Just taken the car out for a proper razz and it slips into gear silkier than poo slips into his pockets

Quaife. Ridiculous, it's the only word for it. When I put the Mégane 250 LSD in my 175 I was shocked but this is even better, the tracking is out at the minute but it gives so much confidence hammering into a corner. I'm not fighting the car anymore, I just press on and know it's not just gonna suddenly light a wheel up. Really looking forward to some track action with that because I was constantly lighting a tyre last time at Blyton

Roll centre hubs. Wow. No more bouncing around correcting the steering around corners, steering is predicable and you can just point it and tell it where to go. It no longer feels boat like and feels so much flatter going around a corner

Brembos. Had a bit of time to really get used to these, the pedal yesterday was a bit meh up top but now they seem to have gotten better and it feels like standard. Still need to bed them in but I need some bungs for my brake ducts to get them nice and hot. Probably need another bleed after that too. Coming off the 62 earlier I thought I'd give them some stick and Jess nearly went through the windscreen bless her🤣🤣

No weird noises or rattles (apart from the PMS🤣) and I feel a bit weird now. I've spent all week working on it but now my brains gone into "you've missed something" mode and I feel like I still need to do something🤣

I have another week off W/C 11th July so I've started making a list of things to do then

Harnesses for lap belts fitting
Quick machine polish
Wet sand headlights and ceramic coat
New sunstrip
Flocked upper dash
Fit AR1 on my track wheels
Make a massive splitter

Another couple of random pics

Took the tax disc sticky thing out. I've owned this for 3 years and it's annoyed me every time I saw it, finally got round to getting the scraper on it🤣🤣

20220619_164510.jpg
20220619_164658.jpg

Bought a billet oil cap from @Matt e too

20220618_132122.jpg
20220618_132151.jpg

I took those pics the other week but forgot to post them

The bay is a tad cleaner now but still needs a good going over

20220701_105624.jpg