ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

money to spend on geting more power!

clio sport 182
hi i have around 3 grand to spend on getting more power out my car but i still want it to be reliable.K-tec have a low pressure turbo with no internal work needing done dnt know how good thatl be. :S

think my safest bet would be throttle boddies and cams??

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
First thing you got to ask your self is, do you really want to make your car more powerfull?

Think of what you could get at the price of your car 5-6k plus another 3.

Black Clio GT
is your car standard?? you will have to think about other upgrades you will need, not just a case if 3k turbo kit and bolt on, need exhaust, good brakes and suspension ect..

clio sport 182
a was thinking that but the 182 has quite a good chassis quite light compared to most hot hatchs,good track day car.the only problem i have with them is the fact it doesnt have a dif.

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
First thing you got to ask your self is, do you really want to make your car more powerfull?

Think of what you could get at the price of your car 5-6k plus another 3.

Agreed why do you want more power?

ITB's on standard internals - 2.5k ish - 200BHP
ITB's Cams - 3K - 210-215BHP
ITBs Fully forged internals - 5K upwards - 215 - 240 BHP

Supercharger - +4K - 250 BHP

Turbos - +3k ( i think early kits were like 205BHP but i believe some are seeing like 215 bhp now.)

Turbo - 6K - 280bhp - 300bhp

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It's not an idea I would entertain mate but each to their own.

clio sport 182
i want the car faster round the track plus still to be useable every day. not sure if its a sensible choice paying all that money 4 a few more horses

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The thread above this is a good read, have a look.

182cup & 172 racecar
There is a lot of other things to do to make faster around a track first before doing this.
All this will do is make it faster on the straights,Wow.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
There is a lot of other things to do to make faster around a track first before doing this.
All this will do is make it faster on the straights,Wow.
Indeed. I'd go for decent suspension, brakes (pads/discs/hoses). Then a s**t load of tuition and track days.
Amazes me that there are people running silly power, spending all that cash, then chucking on £200 suspension. As far as I'm concerned, making a FWD car massively more powerful isn't fun. Making it handle/brake better is.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I think it's down to the individual who would like to drag race their mates than have fun, composed handling.

It's all about corners for me.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I think it's down to the individual who would like to drag race their mates than have fun, composed handling.

It's all about corners for me.
f**king too right!!

Damn good job as well, Puma's are slow as f**k;).

DMS

A thirsty 172
You don't NEED better brakes than standard even with the high boost turbo kit. They're good enough to do the job on normal roads. If you find yourself incapable of braking before having an accident you're driving like a pleb and need to slow down.
If you're going on track then yes, better brakes are a must. It's not so much to do with stopping power, it's more to do with brake fade than anything else. Braided lines and uprated disks and pads will be plenty, although 4 pots do look good at the same time.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah it wasn't to the OP as such tony but a lot of people love the idea of bolting sc's on small cars to go quick.

Warren it's harsh but the truth. A little.

I do love corners more than straight out speed. As most would say a 106 gti is arguably the most fun you can have in a car but a p reg bmw would beat it to 60.

Maybe a slight exaggeration! ;)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
£/:) Hard to beat.

I'm test driving TT's at the moment, i'm going to miss the chuckability! :(

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Pmsl! I know.

It ticks a lot of boxes for me tho.

If you have 3k to spend I would just focus on proper suspension, and forget engine mods for the moment.

I've just invested in full race suspension, and will be making a tough choice later about whether to get a supercharger or not, but for me handling comes first.

TrackCar & F30 330d
If you have 3k to spend I would just focus on proper suspension, and forget engine mods for the moment.

I've just invested in full race suspension, and will be making a tough choice later about whether to get a supercharger or not, but for me handling comes first.

What coilovers did you go for in the end?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

Good lad! AST I'm assuming?

IMO, leave the power until you've exhausted the suspension and getting the most out of it. When you have such a boost in power, it's easy to get complacent because of the extra speed.

Which set up? road or the Track one?

They are the sportline Is. So I think they are the 'road' ones, but Curtis said there's not a huge difference, or certainly not one so I should warrant paying an extra £150ish.

They will be set-up for track use, without being fully uncompromising for the road. He said it will be firm lol! But that's what I expect.
Now I've got to learn to drive all over again, last time I was in Jays car (with a very similar set-up) I span it! :eek:

Now I will be permanently scared each time I turn in that I will end up facing backwards!

TrackCar & F30 330d
They are the sportline Is. So I think they are the 'road' ones, but Curtis said there's not a huge difference, or certainly not one so I should warrant paying an extra £150ish.

They will be set-up for track use, without being fully uncompromising for the road. He said it will be firm lol! But that's what I expect.
Now I've got to learn to drive all over again, last time I was in Jays car (with a very similar set-up) I span it! :eek:

Now I will be permanently scared each time I turn in that I will end up facing backwards!

Drift King iirc ;)

182cup & 172 racecar
Did you change the rates etc?

Everything's been beefed up Warren,but don't ask me to what.I do know that the softest setting is now 3 "clicks" up from the hardest setting on the old ones:eek:,Just got play around with different springs etc at testing.

We can always pinch one of Dans now if we bend it.

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Everything's been beefed up Warren,but don't ask me to what.I do know that the softest setting is now 3 "clicks" up from the hardest setting on the old ones:eek:,Just got play around with different springs etc at testing.

We can always pinch one of Dans now if we bend it.

Sounds like ours Tony, we are trying get the info of Curtis to show what was done to ours.
They are good now set up and the top mounts are correct.

182cup & 172 racecar
Think they have the thicker bushes in so less travel,helps the struts when riding over curbs etc(less flex,stress)plus a different fluid.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I get the feeling mine were a friday afternoon job re. rates and springs, because most people seem to get on with them. It's no exagerration to say mine were hideous, although coming from shagged standard shocks with apex springs, I didn't notice until it was too late.

182cup & 172 racecar
I have only been around the carpark at work,but feels good so far.Must have just have had a bad hair day with yours.

I know they work, having been in Jay's/Tony's car. Christ I was wetting my pants with astonishment on how good the handling was before Jay even got to the apex when I was passenger!

Handled like a house fly, the new car should be even better!

172 turbo 'cup'
hi i have around 3 grand to spend on getting more power out my car but i still want it to be reliable.K-tec have a low pressure turbo with no internal work needing done dnt know how good thatl be. :S

think my safest bet would be throttle boddies and cams??

I've got the low pressure turbo kit from k-tec mines reliable had it mapped by rs tuning thats in with the price from k-tec. I think its worth it but some dont

DMS

A thirsty 172
There's a common misconception on this forum that the turbo conversions are unreliable, probably due to teething issues that other members have had previously.
I've got the Stage 2 setup and so far it hasn't missed a beat.

Clio 1.2/ Impreza Type R
£7, 8 or maybe 9k buys a lot of car...

maybe he just likes the clio I used to have a throttle bodied 182 sold it been through loads of fast cars vx220 T scoob type R but returning to the clios just because they are fun infact in some cases i found my 182 more fun that the vx and scoob

IMO dont think you should go turbo consider TB's you will love the noise and with a good set up and a few supporting mods you can have a very fast fun hot hatch